All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bud 118 rootstock

I have mixture of b118, antonovka, & ranetka, so i should be good? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have personal experience with the B118 apple?

Years back, a lady named Lois posted on here with her experience. Seems like it was a very dark red apple of about 2 inch size. my memory......

Is it decent for apple sauce or fresh eating?

Does anyone have personal experience with the B118 apple?

Years back, a lady named Lois posted on here with her experience. Seems like it was a very dark red apple of about 2 inch size. my memory......

Is it decent for apple sauce or fresh eating?

I remember that post Art, i'll look to see if I can find it.

Thanks L2L. I remember that thread also.

Do any commercial orchards use b118 if so what spacing? I'm assuming closer than what we would use for deer?

The recommended spacing for B118 rootstock is 16 ft down the row and 24 ft between rows. Spacing between the rows can be greater depending on the choice of equipment used for spraying.

Are most of the row distances recommended based on getting spray equipment in between them? If it wasn't for that would 16 be preferred to get more per acre?

Are most of the row distances recommended based on getting spray equipment in between them? If it wasn't for that would 16 be preferred to get more per acre?
The tree limbs would touch or over-lap slightly at 16 ft spacing. There would be no room at all if you planted with a down the row and between the row grid of 16x16. Those limbs that do touch down each row I trim back slightly, as well as between the rows to allow for my side by side (UTV) room to maneuver when spraying.

I have sandy soils and as I understand it to be a good rootstock (b118) - I'm a rookie in this area BTW. I'm having trouble finding growers that provide it. I'd like to get the most hardy/hands trees for two food plot orchards that I've started and as I understand it, Liberty, Enterprise, Dolgo fit this bill. Anyone have any tips on finder a place that has these to order for this spring? Everywhere I look I can't find that combination...

Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery has Liberty and Enterprise on B118 still in stock.

What’s everyone seeing on older B188 trees in clay loan (not wet, but more ridgetop with clay under the topsoil)? I’ve ready then could be poorly rooted and lean? I have a lot of B118s planted the last few years. Some of the older trees (10 yrs old) are starting to lean.

What’s everyone seeing on older B188 trees in clay loan (not wet, but more ridgetop with clay under the topsoil)? I’ve ready then could be poorly rooted and lean? I have a lot of B118s planted the last few years. Some of the older trees (10 yrs old) are starting to lean.
Thats how I would describe my soil. Your feedback scares me. My b118 trees get allot of wind on my ridge top home orchard. My third and 4th leaf trees are growing great. But no better than m111 trees. Honestly cant tell a lick of difference. But I am still early in the game. Sure hope b118 roots hold. I take a pick axe to the ground around my trees and bust up the soil to help their roots spread better. Heavy clay sure makes it tough for roots to penetrate

Our camp has clayish loam soil and we have one tree that leans, but it's not on B-118. It's on Antonovka, but I think It's leaning for the sun - not bad rooting.

In my e-mail conversations with the head of Penn State's fruit tree dept., he told me that for our soil type, MM-111 or emla-111 would be the best choice for solid rooting. This was from among the various clonal rootstocks developed for DR and other characteristics. I asked him about Antonovka and other seedling rootstocks for good anchoring and he told me they would work well too, but wouldn't necessarily offer some of the DR of the clonal varieties. FWIW.