Brute 'N Bottoms

I'd guess him at 4 also.

Had some good times in the box blind this weekend, it was cold and I'm glad I was in the blind. My first year with substantial standing beans and that's the ticket. Yesterday morning had the big 5x1 that I've been wanting to shoot come out and eat beans for 10 minutes. He was 125 yards out, and he didn't like something and started getting skiddish, I took the shot and he started running right at us!! I shot again when he was at 60 yards running and it looked like I hit him. We gave him 3 hours and went and looked. I found 1 clump of white hair where I shot him the second time, no blood anywhere. We were looking for blood in the direction he ran and we kept hearing this groaning noise coming from the direction he ran. We decided to investigate, and sure enough it was him. We were sneaking through the swamp looking for him/any sign of him and he took off like a freight train when we got about 10 yards from him. He was bedded down and the crazy part is he was only 75 yards from where I shot him the second time and within sight of the blind, but we couldn't see him because it's so thick. I think I grazed him in the brisket, and he was sore, but I don't believe it was fatal. The white hair and no blood tells me I grazed him, but the fact he only went 75 yards before bedding down and he was groaning tells me he was hurt, but I don't believe fatal. Anybody have any ideas? Looked a little today with no luck, I'm guessing he will show back up on camera and hopefully we get another crack at him.

We got back in the blind after kicking him up and passed this guy up Saturday night.

Had this guy come out and eat beans yesterday morning for about half hour. Could have shot him with my bow. Pretty sure he's 3 and he broke his G2 & G3 on his right side.

Broadside on first shot? I've tracked brisket shot bucks over 200 yards and never recovered.

Broadside on first shot? I've tracked brisket shot bucks over 200 yards and never recovered.

Broadside both shots. The no blood and one clump of hair says I just grazed him, but would a graze have hurt him enough for him to only run 75 yards and bed, and groan like he had just got his nuts chopped off?

That does not seem like a graze to me, it sounds like you hit him good. Why no blood, can't figure that one out.

I pumped 3 rounds of 180 grain Nosler from my 30.06 into the chest of my buck yesterday. Very little blood, still made it around 100 yards.
They are tough critters

Broadside both shots. The no blood and one clump of hair says I just grazed him, but would a graze have hurt him enough for him to only run 75 yards and bed, and groan like he had just got his nuts chopped off?

If you grazed him low, you may have only cut through flesh. Imagine him bedding down with dry grass and weeds poking into that wound ... you would probably groan too.

To your question ... if you impacted enough body mass & flesh ... the shock wave of the bullet has an incredible effect on their body. Many deer and people will die from the catastrophic shock the body experiences from a bullet impact, the blood is just the after effect and adrenaline keeps them running. I have shot deer where they dropped and died in their tracks where they are standing. A neck shot can shut down all nerve activity. The last 2 bucks I have shot with a rifle (30-06, 308) have dropped and died where they are standing at 180-200 yards ... they were shot in the core vital region ... velocity + mass = force.

I shot a buck in the brisket years ago and saw him stumble. Thought he was dead. My buddy and I tracked a blood trail for 3/4 of a mile. The next morning neighbors continued tracking and the deer was never found.

In my experience, a gun shot (assuming you have a legitimate caliber) with no blood means a bad shot ... no vitals. A trickle of blood means you wounded them.

I hear all the time that ... "I made a good shot" ... 5 neighbors have claimed that around our property with bow & gun this year. Tracking a 50 yard radius of the shot has proven otherwise ...

Hunted last night and had a great sit. Had a 3 year old 10 come out eating beans, and 10 minutes later one of the old ugly bucks on the farm decided to join him. We've had pics of this guy all year, and we all agreed that the first person to have an opportunity needs to kill him. He gave me a chip shot and he went 40 yards and piled up in the swamp.

Here's a video of the 10 chasing a doe a few days ago. He broke his G2 & G3 on his right side. He should be a whopper if he makes it.

Last edited:
Here's a cool video of the one I shot, any guesses on age? How about gross score? this should be interesting :D

That's the blind I shot him out of too.

Last edited:
Here's a cool video of the one I shot, any guesses on age? How about gross score? this should be interesting :D

5.5+ years old
105 inches

Sent from my 8g phone.

Planning on getting a European mount done. Whats a good cape selling for these days? It's a beautiful cape.

Nice job, looks like a big ole guy. Try swapping your cape for a European skull mount with your taxidermist.

Checked a few cams today and decided to go for a walk into the swamp to see if I could get lucky and find the big 5 x 1 I hit opening day. I haven't gotten a picture of him since and it was 50 degrees so figured why not go for a walk.

Cams show we got some bucks through the gun season. Actually not a lot got shot around us from what I've heard.

Check this out, never gotten a video of a bobcat before.

Last edited:
Congrats on the buck! It's always nice to see some make it through the season, good luck with them.

Last edited:
This guy was alive half way through, hoping he shows back up.

After my search today in the area I thought the buck I hit opening morning would have bedded down I decided to go for a little scouting mission. Found a killer secluded spot for a food plot in the swamp and the perfect tree. On my way back I'm walking an ATV trail that I haven't used since before gun season. Unbelievably the buck was literally laying partly in the road. I snapped a few pics, but left him for the time being. Waiting on DNR warden to get back to me on how to proceed. He went 300 yards from where we kicked him up, and it's honestly a miracle that I found him. He could have died in the thickest nastiest stuff and never been found, but he died right on one of my trails, unreal!!

7cafbce24c095603fcfea063d67c0c04.jpg

I wear my jaws necklace all the time in case I need to age a deer 1-5 known penned deer

Dipper, finally got pics of the teeth on that first buck we shot opening day. What you think?

When I was a kid my grandmother suggested us kids not use a ouiji board cause it's not good to stir those that have moved on.

Just sayin ;)

I'm not dipper but I'll take a shot. Got any pics looking straight down onto the teeth? Right now I'm leaning towards 3.5.