All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broadcasting soybeans?

Mike Bolin

5 year old buck +
On the property I hunt, I have a small L shaped field that is a bit less than 2 acres. I am thinking about planting forage type soybeans, but I do not have a small row planter or access to a planter that is small enough for me to get to the field.
Wondering what kind of results any of you have had with broadcasting beans and what seeding rate I should use. Any input will be appreciated.

Broadcasting works well as I have done it many times. Just increase your seeding rate a bit (I did 50% more), broadcast into a prepared bed and cover. Also helps to have a soil sample to amend as needed. Just as a FYI. depending upon how far north you are, forage soybeans may not be an option if you are looking for pod production. I planted a 25% mix of eagle with my ag beans and although it produced a great deal of forage, no pods were set except on the ag beans due to how early we get frost here in Northern Wisconsin

I have excellent results.I just disk,then broadcast with a small pull behind Agri fab seeder. Then cover seed with a drag and cultipack. Like DDC I also plant eagles and early maturity ag beans. I have been putting the Eagles on the perimeter where most of the deer come from. It has worked great. They seem to hammer the eagles first which hold up better to the browsing allowing the ag beans to make pods. I then disc the Eagles under and plant wr/oats/radish. I also double the seeding rate to around 2 bags a acre for the Ag beans.

Broadcast Ag bean.0819161552a.jpg

Ruskbucks - Wow. Nice field of beans. We may plant soybeans this spring - I'll keep the increased seeding rate in mind if our members want to plant them.

I will 3rd the notion that it works. Like noted above a good soft seedbed and heavy seeding help. The same works with Lab Lab too. I am trying out a Grandpa Ray Outdoor mix this year as an experiment. Four Galore (25% Forage Beans, 25% Lablab, 25% Conventional Soybeans, 25% Cowpeas). I had an email conversation with John the owner and he is very knowledgeable about ruminant nutrition and soil health. I have no endorsement or connection to the company and will review this summer-fall.

Ruskbucks - Wow. Nice field of beans. We may plant soybeans this spring - I'll keep the increased seeding rate in mind if our members want to plant them.
Thanks, it was a nice looking plot, until the word got out and they did this to them.:emoji_astonished: My wife said it looked like I planted cactus. Hardly a leaf left on a little over 2 acres. Oh well that's what we plant them for I guess. It allowed me to broadcast rape into it in August.

Attachments

• 0910160958.jpg
    0910160958.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 76
You don't even have to cover the seed if it rains. Every seed I drop in the yard when filling the planter sprouts.
Also when I raise my drill at the end of a pass seed always falls on the ground and it grows.

^^^^^ Bill - One of our guys planted soybeans a year ago and had a pile of seed dump out as he was adjusting the hoppers. It sprouted and the ones touching the ground grew. Problem was - the field wasn't very big and the beans got eaten to the dirt in short order !!

I've broadcast beans for more that 20 years, I use about 1 1/2 time as much seed as drilling. Plot comes up quite thick but the deer thin it out nicely. Then disk in with an old drag disk set so disks are straight and go fairly fast to throw dirt over the bean seed and then culti-pack. Works great!

Follow the advice above for planting rates and if you loosened up the soil prior to planting try running a spring tooth drag thru after broadcasting. It helps cover up the seeds and sorta pushes things into rows a little bit. This is broadcast buckwheat but an example of what it looks like

Young BW.JPG

PS Don't forget the exclusion cage with small bean plots

DSC00337 (Medium).JPG

^^^That picture of the exclusion cage is amazing!

^^^^^^^ says it all

bill

Thanks to all for the input! May give it a shot this spring.

want to try the same thing this spring-summer.what is the latest i can plant beans like this?? thanks!!!

want to try the same thing this spring-summer.what is the latest i can plant beans like this?? thanks!!!

That depends on your location and growing season. It would also depend on the maturity group of the bean.
In N. MO farmers can get crop insurance on beans planted before mid June. I try to have mine in by then.

The exclusion cage pic tells a great story. With your plot being smaller in size I would grossly suggest a cage - simply to ensure you understand what you are seeing. I know many folks report a crop failure, when that isn't the case. The case is the deer have hammered the crop early and it never got a chance. An exclusion cage can show you that.

I will 3rd the notion that it works. Like noted above a good soft seedbed and heavy seeding help. The same works with Lab Lab too. I am trying out a Grandpa Ray Outdoor mix this year as an experiment. Four Galore (25% Forage Beans, 25% Lablab, 25% Conventional Soybeans, 25% Cowpeas). I had an email conversation with John the owner and he is very knowledgeable about ruminant nutrition and soil health. I have no endorsement or connection to the company and will review this summer-fall.

I will be planting the same blend as well this year on my farm.

Good to hear Shawnv, I went all out with GRO this year. Four Galore, Mass Builder, Full Draw and Fortress. Time will tell how they turn out!

Good to hear Shawnv, I went all out with GRO this year. Four Galore, Mass Builder, Full Draw and Fortress. Time will tell how they turn out![/Q

Since I'm broadcasting and will over seed a little, I'm going to ask John about getting a mix with a little higher trailing soybean since I would like a few more pods around come late season. The other option is that I may add some AWP to the mix.