Broadcast into standing buckwheat?

ravot22

Yearling... With promise
I have several food plants currently in standing buckwheat.

In preparation for a fall food plot, can I broadcast wheat, oats, turnips and/or radishes into the standing BW?

I assume I would need to cut the BW shortly after broadcasting the other seed.

In in zone 7 and the buckwheat was planted about 50 days ago.

I did that about 1month ago. Spread seed then rolled and mowed buckwheat. I got great germination but now it hasn't rained in three weeks and it looks like the plot will be a failure. I think it would have been a great success with any rain.

Last year this time I seeded rye and clover into a standing buckwheat plot. I didn't mow or roll. I had a nice rye plot for hunting last fall. Early spring the rye was again a big hit. The clover has since taken over and looks great.

I have several food plants currently in standing buckwheat.

In preparation for a fall food plot, can I broadcast wheat, oats, turnips and/or radishes into the standing BW?

I assume I would need to cut the BW shortly after broadcasting the other seed.

In in zone 7 and the buckwheat was planted about 50 days ago.

Sure. That is a typical way to no-till plant. I would suggest replacing WW and Oats with WR. I find it surface broadcasts better than the other cereal grains. It fills the same general niche and over-winters well. If the plot is weedy, spray glyphosate. If not you can skip that. You can mow the buckwheat right after you plant if you want. It will act as mulch. Once it is down and in contact with the ground it will decompose faster and release the nutrients is scavenged to your crop. If it is thick you may need to mow it to get enough light in. If it is thin, you can let it stand if you want. If you have a cultipacker, use it after broadcasting. If not, I like to increase my seeding rate slightly over tilled seeding rates. While germination is a little lower with this planting method, it is good for your soil and is very sustainable. It will build OM faster and in the long-run will require less inputs like fertilizer.

Thanks,

Jack