Brassica/ Red Clover Mixture Lbs. per acre.

Joe Buck

5 year old buck +
Trying Throw & Roll for the 1st time this weekend. Planting a brassica blend of Daikon Radish, PTTurnips , Winfred Forage Brassica, Sub Zero Forage Brassica and Pasja Forage Turnip from Deer Creek Seed in Wisconsin. Bag says to plant 5-9 lbs. per acre ( seems like quite a spread). Would like to and some Red Clover for next Spring /summer usage.
Thoughts on lbs. of the Brassica Mix and Red clover per acre. Thanking you in advance for your reply.
P.S. Soil is 99% sand in Adams County, Wi. and we don't always get good germination and its our 1st. time at T&Roll.

I agree, up to 9 lbs is a lot given the seed selection. I just did a similiar mix and blended myself of GHR, DER, PTT, & kale, and added 3 lbs red clover. I use a rule of thumb to cut in half recommended brassicas per acre and add ~3-4 lbs clover. Make sure dead weeds are dry when broadcasting and go over multiple times with cultipacker to get good soil contact.

I would say either cut your brassica seeding rate in half OR plant the full rate and frost seed the clover.

We mix clovers with our brassica mix every year. Not sure what percent of your mix is radish as that’s a larger and heavier seed than the rest in your mix.

We plant 5# total of PTT and DE Rape. Usually 3# of one and 2# of the other spending which one we want more of in the plot. Then we do 5# of radish. Basically we follow the LC mix. Then we add around 5# of red clover and 1-2# of white clover. For us, the brassica mix grows so much faster than the clover that I don’t think the clover is much competition. The clover will be tiny in the fall for us, but comes in thick in the spring. I’ll also frost seed clover in the winter at times, but even when I don’t the clover does well. I mix red and white clovers, but I go heavier on red clover since they add more nitrogen the following year than white clover. I hear white clover is more desired by deer though.

Considering you have sand maybe it makes sense to use Chicory instead of clover? I’ve never planted chicory and I’ve heard it can be weedy, but since we have low ground chicory isn’t something we plant. Our neighbors have planted it with a lot of success.

Good luck!