Blind insulation

j-bird

I am looking at building a wood enclosed blind. I am looking at my options for insulating this thing and I am wondering what sort of R-value is needed to really make a difference. I see many foam panels with R ratings of 3 or 5 or the like and wonder just how much difference they make (but they are reasonably priced). Then I see some that are rated at 20, 25 or higher.....but at roughly $100 a sheet! I'm building a deer blind....not a house! All I am trying to do is use a little propane heater to keep the blind reasonably warm. Do I even really need insulation at all? What do you guys use?

Need? No. But it helps. I have a wood box, enclosed with no insulation, and with my Big Buddy heater on medium, when it is in the teens outside, I sit in my tshirt. When it is -30, and windy as hell, then yes it will make a big difference. I am insulating mine this year yet, but I gt some foam insulation for free from a friend. I figured more then insulating temperature, it would help with noise, and also scent to a point.

If you add insulation and mice chew and get behind a panel, you will have a real mess. When I bought my place, one of the wood blinds had hard foam insulation and the mice buuilt tunnels & nests behind the foam. Mouse poop, urine, etc. sitting during the summer months creates an awful odor.

I use a Little Buddy heater and stay warm down in the single digits.

Need? No. But it helps. I have a wood box, enclosed with no insulation, and with my Big Buddy heater on medium, when it is in the teens outside, I sit in my tshirt. When it is -30, and windy as hell, then yes it will make a big difference. I am insulating mine this year yet, but I gt some foam insulation for free from a friend. I figured more then insulating temperature, it would help with noise, and also scent to a point.
if it's windy and -30....I'll be at the house! No deer is worth freezing to death for. So, I looked it up and my average monthly lows for my hunting season (Oct, nov & dec) are 44, 35 & 24....we saw zero and below a few times last year, but I was done hunting by then. Thus why I wonder if the effort to insulate will really be worth it or not.

If you add insulation and mice chew and get behind a panel, you will have a real mess. When I bought my place, one of the wood blinds had hard foam insulation and the mice buuilt tunnels & nests behind the foam. Mouse poop, urine, etc. sitting during the summer months creates an awful odor.

I use a Little Buddy heater and stay warm down in the single digits.
That was my fear as I HOPE to seal it better to avoid that issue, but I also was curious if I would even see any real improvement for the effort as well. I don't get the cold like you do. I will typically be above zero for my deer hunting efforts. The blind simply helps keep the wind and rain/snow in check. Being able to be warm helps, but just being out of the wind and dry helps a lot with that as it is.

I built a metal blind a few years back and used the rigid pink foamular board from Home Depot for insulation and sound deadening. If I fire up a buddy heater in it, it’ll get warm quick in there and usually have to open a window to cool it back down.

Now I’m definitely not in cold country at all in LA, but I’ll use the heater in the 30s/40s. I built a couple of metal blinds this year without the foam board, and plan to see if it’s necessary or not.

One thing about the foam board, don’t use spray paint on it or it will melt. You can roll on black paint just fine.
56e6aed679a5703f013e3c002e62a1e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use a heater in the blind you don't need insulation. It doesn't get very cold and you'll have some hunting clothes on that will take care of insulation. Not worth the effort if you aren't hunting "holy shit its cold" weather.

I have several blinds (5x5 ft footprint) witg just metal sheeting in north Alabama. I can raise the temperature 20-30 degrees witg just a little buddy heater. I don’t think you need insulation unless you are up north.

I am looking at building a wood enclosed blind. I am looking at my options for insulating this thing and I am wondering what sort of R-value is needed to really make a difference. I see many foam panels with R ratings of 3 or 5 or the like and wonder just how much difference they make (but they are reasonably priced). Then I see some that are rated at 20, 25 or higher.....but at roughly $100 a sheet! I'm building a deer blind....not a house! All I am trying to do is use a little propane heater to keep the blind reasonably warm. Do I even really need insulation at all? What do you guys use?
J bird we built an enclosed blind without insulation and the only heat source is a little buddy heater. Stays very warm, to the point you shut off the heater or take off coat and bibs. Not saying insulation wouldn't be nice, but not required.

J bird we built an enclosed blind without insulation and the only heat source is a little buddy heater. Stays very warm, to the point you shut off the heater or take off coat and bibs. Not saying insulation wouldn't be nice, but not required.
OK - I have been "OK" in my other blinds as well, I was just curious if it really made much difference. Sounds like if I was in a colder climate then maybe, but sounds like it's just mouse fodder otherwise. You run into any vapor issues in your blind with your heater? I know you have far better windows than I and I have not had an issue.....but if I step up my game from a sealing perspective I don't want to create a different issue. Does you blind have any "vents" in it???

if you lived just up the road I would come eyeball the snot out of it and steal some ideas.....but, your not exactly "just up the road"....you being up there in boiler country and all!

I built a metal blind a few years back and used the rigid pink foamular board from Home Depot for insulation and sound deadening. If I fire up a buddy heater in it, it’ll get warm quick in there and usually have to open a window to cool it back down.

Now I’m definitely not in cold country at all in LA, but I’ll use the heater in the 30s/40s. I built a couple of metal blinds this year without the foam board, and plan to see if it’s necessary or not.

One thing about the foam board, don’t use spray paint on it or it will melt. You can roll on black paint just fine.
56e6aed679a5703f013e3c002e62a1e2.jpg

Your blind is nicer than my office! What sort of windows you have in that top floor corner office you call a hunting blind?

And I knew spray paint and polystyrene didn't mix.....the paint "eats" the foam. Learned that as a kid....great fun. Almost as much fun as a lighter and an arousal can.....my poor action figures (now worth big money) lived a horrible life!

That was my fear as I HOPE to seal it better to avoid that issue, but I also was curious if I would even see any real improvement for the effort as well. I don't get the cold like you do. I will typically be above zero for my deer hunting efforts. The blind simply helps keep the wind and rain/snow in check. Being able to be warm helps, but just being out of the wind and dry helps a lot with that as it is.

If you have never sat in a fully enclosed blind with windows, you will be amazed how much warmer and comfortable you will be. Add a small space heater even better. For venting, I buy the small 2" screen pipe vents and add a couple at floor level and a couple at the ceiling. This also helps in the warmer months to vent and minimize condensation buildup.

Paint the outside with a good primer either dark brown or camo green and let the sun help warm the blind.

If you have never sat in a fully enclosed blind with windows, you will be amazed how much warmer and comfortable you will be. Add a small space heater even better. For venting, I buy the small 2" screen pipe vents and add a couple at floor level and a couple at the ceiling. This also helps in the warmer months to vent and minimize condensation buildup.

Paint the outside with a good primer either dark brown or camo green and let the sun help warm the blind.
My current blinds - one has no "glass" of any kind and the other has some but they are not sealed real well. I just don't want to give myself a headache sucking in fumes while trying to hunt in a better sealed blind. I am hoping that this ventilation will also help with that musty smell as well. Might even help keep it from becoming a hot box in the summer as well. I was thinking just basic vents backed with some metal window screen (lower and upper - opposite sides) to create a "draft" to help keep the air moving. I realize that may open up the scent issue, but I play the wind when using my blinds any way and would intend to do so with the new one as well.

Your blind is nicer than my office! What sort of windows you have in that top floor corner office you call a hunting blind?

Thanks. It’s amazing how some black paint on foam and cheap carpet from Lowe’s really spruces things up. The office chair may have been a bit much, but wanted to do it up right at first and not have to mess with it later.

Those are wrap around sliding plexiglass windows. They basically slide in two channels cut in plastic stock. The windows alternate in the channels, so I have 4-6 windows per side. I purchased the cut plastic stock from boedeker plastics, but you could just as easily do it with a table saw and pvc trim. They work fine, but like all plexiglass on plastic, they make noise. I’ve had the stand in place for 4 years now, and so far, the only thing that has got in is a few small spiders.

On my new stands, I put the Original Deer Blind Window Co. framed sash windows in. Much happier with them as they are silent and seal well.

Yes, you’ll need a vent if you are running a heater. I normally crack open a sliding window for ventilation. I’ve also got some round mesh vents that I have put in as well in the past.

Vents:

https://ventmastersstore.com/collec...und-open-screen-vent-tab-style-black-bag-of-4

My current blinds - one has no "glass" of any kind and the other has some but they are not sealed real well. I just don't want to give myself a headache sucking in fumes while trying to hunt in a better sealed blind. I am hoping that this ventilation will also help with that musty smell as well. Might even help keep it from becoming a hot box in the summer as well. I was thinking just basic vents backed with some metal window screen (lower and upper - opposite sides) to create a "draft" to help keep the air moving. I realize that may open up the scent issue, but I play the wind when using my blinds any way and would intend to do so with the new one as well.

A tried and true design from all the sturgeon spearing shacks I've been in have the vents on the same wall where you tuck the heater in a corner. One behind the heater about 4" off the floor and another about 3-4" from the ceiling almost directly above. Not that shacks are sealed super tight, but the basic intent is no windows to keep it dark to look better into the hole you cut in the ice and banked with snow all the way around to keep any drafts from putting ripples on the water. That configuration seems to work well to prevent problems with CO fumes and headaches and the like. Actually have not seen any that had the vents on opposite sides. Just an observation. Some of the newer types of heaters are supposed to be no venting required but a little fresh air coming in near the heater is good no matter what you use in my opinion.

OK - I have been "OK" in my other blinds as well, I was just curious if it really made much difference. Sounds like if I was in a colder climate then maybe, but sounds like it's just mouse fodder otherwise. You run into any vapor issues in your blind with your heater? I know you have far better windows than I and I have not had an issue.....but if I step up my game from a sealing perspective I don't want to create a different issue. Does you blind have any "vents" in it???

if you lived just up the road I would come eyeball the snot out of it and steal some ideas.....but, your not exactly "just up the road"....you being up there in boiler country and all!
Jbird,
The blind does not have any vents, I leave a window cracked about a fingers width to allow for some fresh air and to be able to open the window easier.
You are welcome here anytime!20190831_123156.jpg

I second this especially if the blind gets any sun. I don't have a single bit of insulation but have painted the inside black and have sealed mine up with foam and caulk. I can hunt down into the high teans with a merino wool base layer ecws mid and an old hooded black sweatshirt with no problem. I dont even need a hat mask or gloves until the sun starts to go down. Windows and sealed I really don't think insulation would be necessary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I built a few 6x6x6 wood blinds and I used 1 inch sheet foam, and I glued it to the walls, and then painted it black
I also used spray foam to seal blinds up tight as can be and in 5+ yrs never had a mouse in any of them to date
a lot comes done to how well you build things and steps you take to keep mice out IMO!
it can be done
I also insulated the ceiling and added carpet to the floor
I didn't insulate the floor, but I gather one could if they wanted too, from the bottom and then sealed that too
my blinds are only about 3 ft off the ground, just enough to give them some slight elevation

a small heater will raise the temps a whole lot, pending how many windows I have open or not
I have all BLIND windows, meaning NO glass, there solid boards for windows, and did this, due to tied of trespassers breaking glass windows