All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Binoculars

My experience is similar to others above. Have Nikon binos. Prostaff 7 10x42. I like them for hunting in Ohio and Ontario. I got them on super sale, and they are well worth the price. Used Steiners at work, and they weren't that tough. Someone dropped them and bent them out of alignment.

I recently got into Vortex and am very happy with thwir products.

Never heard of GPO.

I bought Vortex binos last year and am very happy with them.

I have Alpen Shasta Ridge 10x42's that my kids have recently broken. They were a great value for the money, but now the company is out of business, so the lifetime warranty is worthless; I am stuck with a busted binocular. So I am now in the market, but don't want to get into the same situation. I don't need high-dollar glass, but is it better to go with one of the "big" brands so I know they will be around long-term for service even if paying a little more for the quality, or go with a company like Vortex who gets rave reviews but is still a relative newcomer in the industry? Bushnell has a mid-range binocular that gets some good reviews- anybody have them? M series, I think they are.

Set your budget at $800 and they go look through everyone that fits.

Forget features, it is all about the glass. Good glass costs $$ and it really matters in low light conditions when you need it most.

I have a pair of 10x50 Vortex binoculars. I got them at a good price. I am very pleased with them. Mentioned all this previously but since you asked I have to recommend Vortex again. At lease give them consideration in your decision making process for your new binos.
I had the advantage in that I went to their main headquarters in Middleton, WI and looked through all the binos I was considering. That gave me a better idea of weight, size, features, accessories and clarity of the glass. Not something you can do online.

For anyone in the market for a set, the Vortex Diamondback HD's are on sale at Cabela's as part of their Fall Hunting Classic sale. Joining their member club knocked the price down to $133.

I might not be the best judge as all I've had before are super cheap ones. But these are crystal clear out to the 300 yards that I can see on my property.

I have the 10 power set of those they are a decent mid priced pair I’d say much better than the older Nikon pair I had but age alone on optics makes a difference it seems like they keep improving

Funny this came up again. I lost my Nikons a out two years ago. I ended up buying Vortex Diomondback 10x42 on sale here in Norway. So far they're excellent for the price. I use them for hunting red deer and whitetails. I would probably buy something a bit better if I was glassing all day. But for still hunting in the forest and scoping deer in hay fields, they fit the bill.

Those diamondbacks are a good buy @ the sub $200 level that they frequently sell for. Got my dad a pair for xmas a couple years ago. I've only got 10x and 12x nockers and should probably buy a dedicated pair of 7 or 8x for whitetail.