All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Announcement

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Back in the day, (well before there was any money or prestige in it) I was a manufacturers shooter for Martin, Hoyt and PSE at various times. They had manufacturer's teams. When I started I don't think Mathews was in business. I have not shot competitively for a long time! I have been strictly a Hoyt guy for probably 20 years.

Today, I bought my first Mathews ever. A friend brought his Halon over this weekend and I really really liked it. Today I went and shot the Halon, Halon 32 and the Triax. I now own a Triax and have a little over a week to draw blood with it on a doe. So tonight I will set her up and try to get her done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And here I was thinking u were gunna hold a $1000 gift certificate giveaway to spend at the tree nursey of your choosing...

JK, welcome to the cool kids table.

Git R Done!

I have been shooting Mathews the past 3 years, I have had no issues with them at all.

Back in the day, (well before there was any money or prestige in it) I was a manufacturers shooter for Martin, Hoyt and PSE at various times. They had manufacturer's teams. When I started I don't think Mathews was in business. I have not shot competitively for a long time! I have been strictly a Hoyt guy for probably 20 years.

Today, I bought my first Mathews ever. A friend brought his Halon over this weekend and I really really liked it. Today I went and shot the Halon, Halon 32 and the Triax. I now own a Triax and have a little over a week to draw blood with it on a doe. So tonight I will set her up and try to get her done!

I was a Martin Scepter guy for many years. I made the mistake of checking out a bow shop that was Mathews dealer who let me shoot a Switchback. I walked out with a much lighter wallet and a smile on my face. It has been a long time since the Switchback came out. I'm trying not to make the same mistake twice and shoot another new bow!

Best of luck with the new blood!

Thanks,

Jack

I must say I do feel a little dirty like I have betrayed someone ha.

I have also shot Hoyt for 20 years. A few weeks ago I shot the Triax at our local shop. Mine should be in any day now. I could not resist. I do feel guilty about spending so much on a bow but im planning on keeping it for hopefully 10+ yrs.

I must say I do feel a little dirty like I have betrayed someone ha.

I felt that way too for a while, but strangely only when I didn't have the Mathews in my hands :)

Dang, I'm shooting a Mathews Z9 that's getting a few years on it. Sounds like a better shoot a Triax. How long a draw can you get it in? I'm 31.5

You made a good choice. I still shoot my Mathews Reezen 7. I think I got it in 07 or 09? I’ve never had an issue with it and it still shoots great. I don’t shoot the new bows because I know if I do I’ll be walking out of the shop with one.

Awesome WTNUT! I shot a Mathews Z7 many years ago and then switched to a Hoyt Maxis 31 that I have never liked. This spring I am switching back to Mathews. Looking at either the Halon 32 or the Halon X. The Triax looks awesome but I prefer longer ATA and brace heights.

I am still shooting my Switchback XT, and I don't know if I can part with it. Having said that, I am making every effort to NOT shoot a new Mathews... just to avoid temptation!

You made a good choice. I still shoot my Mathews Reezen 7. I think I got it in 07 or 09? I’ve never had an issue with it and it still shoots great. I don’t shoot the new bows because I know if I do I’ll be walking out of the shop with one.

That is a good idea! I have a carbon Hoyt and thought it was the cat's meow until I shot one arrow through a Halon. Then went to shop thinking I would get the Halon 32 and next thing I know my credit card jumped out and grabbed a Triax!

Awesome WTNUT! I shot a Mathews Z7 many years ago and then switched to a Hoyt Maxis 31 that I have never liked. This spring I am switching back to Mathews. Looking at either the Halon 32 or the Halon X. The Triax looks awesome but I prefer longer ATA and brace heights.

I prefer the longer axel to axel "generally" too. I literally shot the Triax thinking I would say "too short for me", but I was way wrong. I highly recommend shooting all three before purchasing.

I still shoot the same Hoyt I bought as my entry into bow hunting roughly 15 years ago....it was used then! I don't even know what model it is!!!

J-Bird, I try to generally avoid recommending to people that they spend THEIR money. I still remember the days when if I found a penny on the street I was eager to reach down and pick it up because we needed it! I still pick up everyone I see no matter where it is just hoping the good Lord never shows me a day again when I need a penny. That having been noted, 15 years in the archery industry is light years. You might want to go to a bow shop and shoot a few - just say'n"

While we are on it, what poundage do you set your bows at to hunt deer? I use to be a 70 pound guy all day but these days a 60 pound bow that normally maxes out at 63 or so is best for me.

I prefer the longer axel to axel "generally" too. I literally shot the Triax thinking I would say "too short for me", but I was way wrong. I highly recommend shooting all three before purchasing.

Sounds good WTNUT. I will certainly shoot the Triax. I have heard very good things about it. I'm 6'2" and have a 30" draw and mostly it comes down to the string angle and the peep. Do you have a recommendation for a peep that you like with a steep string angle?

I looked at this thread title and thought it was gonna be something else entirely. Strange thing is......... I've been thinking about a new bow since the end of our archery season. And now you guys have thrown GAS on the little spark that was my idea. I've been a fingers shooter with somewhat longer ATA length and more brace height. I'll have to do some shopping, I guess. Natty's talking steep string angles ^^^^^^ and that means a release .......... there aren't many longer bows out there anymore for fingers shooters. I suppose I'll have to look at Mathews ........... too many good comments here. My aching back will play a large role in what I pick. Smoothness of draw will be big.

If I end up spending $$$ for a new bow, the blame falls on you guys !!!!!! I don't really want to .................:emoji_smirk:

WTNUT, I'm with you on poundage. Shot 70 pounds for ever. Bought a new Elite 3 years ago and it is a 60 pound bow. So much easier to draw in the cold.