Best/ Worst ATV

Jeff23

5 year old buck +
I am considering buying an ATV in the next couple months for use in my business (Tree Business/ Snow Removal) and also for hunting. I won't need the biggest or best, but I want to get something reliable, large enough to handle some work and not break the bank. My research is showing some high asking prices for good used units, so I won't rule out going for a good deal on a leftover new, and I am in no real hurry except for having a write-off for this year.
So... what do you run that you love and has been good to you, or what lemons have soured you? Thanks for any advice!

For snow removal Polaris 500HO all the way. Smooth as glass put in low or high hit the gas an go. An that's coming from a guy that owns a Honda rancher

Thanks, Jordan. I am seeing a bunch of 500 HO's for sale, so that could be a good option. House looks great, BTW- good to see the updates!

For just plain reliability, there is no question. Honda. That being said all the top brands provide a quality machine.

Thanks, Jordan. I am seeing a bunch of 500 HO's for sale, so that could be a good option. House looks great, BTW- good to see the updates!

Tks Jeff
My lil Honda rancher is as reliable as they come but the only way I can describe it is old technology. I ride a buddies Polaris HO occasionally. It's like ridding on clouds. So smooth. The drive system is a lil more complicated but not much. Belts equal smooth with quads. I used to have a Kawasaki prairie 650. It was a strong running bike. But like the Polaris ride better

I've been running a 400 Yamaha big bear for 10+ years. Thing has never given me any trouble. I have buddies that run Grizzlies and love them also. I don't run mine as much as I used to since I bought my UTV but still use it on occasion. Sounds like you like Polaris so if I were you I'd get one of their 1000cc bikes, def could throw some snow doing 70mph haha happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just just replaced my 17yo Kawasaki last fall with a 500 Honda that I am really pleased with but if I was going to use a machine for snow plowing, I would go straight to the nearest can am dealer. really impressive machines.

I have a Yamaha Grizzly 550 with power steering. I love this machine. Knock on wood it's been bullet proof so far. Look for a camo one as they don't show scratches like the solid colored units.

I have a Yamaha Kodiak that has been bullet proof so far. But my buddy has the old Polaris 500 non HO that he has beat the piss out of for 16 years and it never fails. So I guess they can all be good or bad!

My only advice is, today they all have EFI, 02 sensors etc. buy something with a reputable dealer close by.

I've only had my Polaris back to the dealer once in 10 years and replacing an 02 sensor wire was only $25. But I was down and out without it.

Yamaha Grizzly

4-stroke EFI.... Not one issue

I have 3 KingQuads and have never had an issue with any of them...Well, I did have to take one in after I decided to see if it would float in a creek bend that I had no clue dropped off so deep. The answer was they sort of float, but it's a really low, wet ride and all the water in the engine and exhaust isn't great for it. The only thing I can say I'm not a HUGE fan of is the need to hit the overdrive button when in high and I need to really give it to get through slop that is pushing it to make it through. Keep the button pressed and you walk out in high. Don't and in high it will cut out when the slop really fights you. In low, it's not an issue, and that's the case with all 3 I have. Knowing that more or less removes the issue, as you know just to hit the overdrive button when in high, and I get why they have it as a safety mechanism for those less experienced, but I'd rather they just let me blow the engine if I so choose.

Get power steering!! Like my polaris - but HATE the plastic racks if they had ones like Arctic Cat does, I'd love it instead of just liking it.

One thing I should have added: I have at least one dealer of every single brand (except the cheap Chinese ones) within 30 minutes. Service and parts are literally a non-issue for me, which is awesome. I appreciate all the replies!

Bought a used 2008 Artctic Cat 700 H1 a few years ago...kept a close eye on CL and found one with low miles and low hours that was being sold buy a guy who was moving and needed to sell fast. EFI, liquid cooled, independent rear suspension, 2" box hitch receiver, made in the USA. It's a beast. I do a ton of logging with it...skidding logs, pulling whole trees, hauling bucked up firewood. Love the thing.

P7200003.jpg

Bought a used 2008 Artctic Cat 700 H1 a few years ago...kept a close eye on CL and found one with low miles and low hours that was being sold buy a guy who was moving and needed to sell fast. EFI, liquid cooled, independent rear suspension, 2" box hitch receiver, made in the USA. It's a beast. I do a ton of logging with it...skidding logs, pulling whole trees, hauling bucked up firewood. Love the thing.

P7200003.jpg

What brand/model is that trailer. looks nice!

I have a 1994 Yamaha Kodiak 400. It still starts every time and runs great. I have not done anything special to maintain it and it just keeps going.

I've got a Grizzly 700 with EFI and Power Steering. It has been a great quad, zero issues in the 4 years I've owned it. I plow snow, drag logs, just about everything without a hiccup.

What brand/model is that trailer. looks nice!

It's called a Versa-Trailer by DR. It will haul up to 2,000 of material. The bed comes off of the frame and I can insert extensions so it becomes a log hauler. Or with the bed I can haul out bucked up firewood. It's got big double flotation tires and it even has a manual winch which allows me to dump the bed. One of the best tools I've purchased for work on my land.

Here's a pic with the bed...

P7200002.jpg

And here's one with the bed removed....

P7200010.jpg

And of course useful for getting up to a ton of lime into my back woods hidey-hole food plots....

IMG_1738_zps2iujiio5.jpg

Awesome setup Natty.