Best shovel for transplanting

rocksnstumps

5 year old buck +
Ok maybe a bit of a mundate topic but planning on moving a bunch of white spruce this spring and currently have a cheap long narrow shovel I had used for planting bareroots but it flexes too much. For planting I have just gone to using a post hole digger. But digging and moving gotta get something better.

I have seen this come up in past conversations on forums and what stuck was King of Spades, likely because of the catchy title. Any advice from folks?

Yes have one of those too, but was thinking maybe a little longer blade to get more of the roots with just four shovelfuls in a smallish square pattern vs. digging a wide hole to get down deeper with a round point. Trees are 6" - 18" that are popping up around some WS planted by previous owner a number of years ago.

Yes have one of those too, but was thinking maybe a little longer blade to get more of the roots with just four shovelfuls in a smallish square pattern vs. digging a wide hole to get down deeper with a round point. Trees are 6" - 18" that are popping up around some WS planted by previous owner a number of years ago.

I love this spade ... make sure you order the foot pad too...

http://www.kingofspadesonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2525&products_id=230104

Wolverine makes nice all steel shovels,spades,etc.

I have a drain spade similar to this. When I originally bought it, I wanted it for digging a narrow trench for an underground power line to my barn. I realized how much easier it was to dig (in my type of soil) with than any other shovel I own. I used to always use a square spade for digging holes for trees but one day I grabbed this drain spade...I love it. It slips between rocks better than any other type of shovel and it doesn't give nearly the resistance when prying against rocks and dirt so breaking handles doesn't happen to me anymore.
My soil has lots of small grapefruit-sized rocks and this shovel is just the ticket. Some of you guys that don't have any rocks may not appreciate a shovel like this like I do.
I often carry 2 shovels when I dig holes...a drain spade for digging the hole and a square spade for cleaning the crumbs, but most of the time I only need the drain spade.
‎www.jacksonprofessional.com/products/detail.aspx?ProductId=1339&SubFamilyId=250&FamilyId=76&LineId=75

i've had my wolverine spade for 10 years now, got the one with the longest blade and handle at the time. I've planted thousands of trees with it over the years.
Wolverine-Spade.jpg

pictured next to my wooden handled one, which would be broken by now if used as hard as the wolverine.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to see what Forestry Supplies offers in their latest catalog. Looks like wolverine, jackson and kingofspades are decent and assume made in the good ole USA. That's one area I will pay more for on items that need to be durable, even as simple as a shovel!