All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Best" oak varieties to plant

Ok sounds like it would be worth it to plant a variety of oaks including sawtooth. I have a lot of beech trees that I don't mind replacing.

There is a part of the property that gets used by deer a lot, but it is very remote and hard to access. It is mostly beech and red oak. It has relatively thin soil on dolomitic limestone. Would this be a good place to start replacing the beech trees with sawtooth and DCO? Will the acorns be better for grouse than beech nuts?

Ok sounds like it would be worth it to plant a variety of oaks including sawtooth. I have a lot of beech trees that I don't mind replacing.

There is a part of the property that gets used by deer a lot, but it is very remote and hard to access. It is mostly beech and red oak. It has relatively thin soil on dolomitic limestone. Would this be a good place to start replacing the beech trees with sawtooth and DCO? Will the acorns be better for grouse than beech nuts?

Interesting. I thought you would be on the shield from your description. I am kind of surprised you have red oak and beech under those conditions.

"thin soil on dolomitic limestone." would suggest

Chinkapin oak (Quercus muehlenbergii )
Shumard Oak (Q. Shumardii)
Bur Oak (Q. macrocarpa)

might do well given favorable climate. They are more tolerant of limestone. They are native to ON, too.

DCO prefers acidic sands, I think.

What is the soil ph?

Beech is likely better for grouse.

As far as growth rates are you talking seed in 10, 20, 30 years? Oaks will not be fast.
How trees do you want to plant?

I’ve walked a few properties in Iowa that had planted Swamp White Oak... some were 20 feet tall in 10-12 years. With acorns

This was good soil, bottom ground, but very impressive.

Thanks for the tips.

Soil pH ranges from 5.5 to 6.8. Most of the spots I checked are around 6.

Acorns in ten years would be ideal. But I don't mind planting a dozen or so long-term oaks for the grandkids.

I’ve walked a few properties in Iowa that had planted Swamp White Oak... some were 20 feet tall in 10-12 years. With acorns

This was good soil, bottom ground, but very impressive.

Cool. I will cut down some swampy areas for them.

Cool. I will cut down some swampy areas for them.

They do as well or better on dry ground too but I plant them in wet spots because I have it.

SWO can be made to produce seed in 10 years with tricks but it may not be worth the effort. Tree size and light still determines crop totals. Do you see much bear damage?

Thanks for the tips.

Soil pH ranges from 5.5 to 6.8. Most of the spots I checked are around 6.

Acorns in ten years would be ideal. But I don't mind planting a dozen or so long-term oaks for the grandkids.

With that ph chestnuts should grow there and they would be faster than oaks. If you have a blight free area maybe look into planting seed from blight free northern stock.

Look into condordia oaks. A 3 way hybrid that MDC carries and sells real reasonable

I think I have to amend my original plan to accommodate all this stuff.

Concordia is rarely in stock. I wouldn’t hold your breath on it

I think I will plant a variety of climate-appropriate oaks in small clear-cuts. Probably 1/2 acre plots spread about the property according to the type of dirt they like. And I will alter my hunting strategy and stand placement according to how those plots pan out.

If I was going to spend the money on hybrids vs regular oaks, I second the recommendation on Schuette's oak (swamp white oak x burr). Both regular SWO and Burrs can produce in under 10 yrs. I had 1/2 dozen burrs produce acorns between 6-8 years. This was on upland sandy loam. Granted burrs grow slow but they can produce while young

Would think the hybrid could double up on that potential and do well for early production and online info tends to claim that they can take wet feet like regular SWO vs a burr which I tend to think of doing better in upland or prairie sites.

Look into condordia oaks. A 3 way hybrid that MDC carries and sells real reasonable

Internet says that's a European oak.

If I was going to spend the money on hybrids vs regular oaks, I second the recommendation on Schuette's oak (swamp white oak x burr). Both regular SWO and Burrs can produce in under 10 yrs. I had 1/2 dozen burrs produce acorns between 6-8 years. This was on upland sandy loam. Granted burrs grow slow but they can produce while young

Would think the hybrid could double up on that potential and do well for early production and online info tends to claim that they can take wet feet like regular SWO vs a burr which I tend to think of doing better in upland or prairie sites.

I have a spot that should be good for them. It's a bit close to where I land my canoe, but better it be an oak grove than just spindly beeches.

I have a great swampy area that drains in the summer but is pretty soggy in spring. It's right at the edge of my main plot area too.

Internet says that's a European oak.
You are both right.
Same name = 2 different oaks.
condordia = a cultivar of english oak , Q robur
condordia = a bicolor, muehlenbergii, prinoides cross

It took me a while to get it straight, too.

I would be leery of bringing plant material into Canada. Seed less so.

I have a spot that should be good for them. It's a bit close to where I land my canoe, but better it be an oak grove than just spindly beeches.

I have a great swampy area that drains in the summer but is pretty soggy in spring. It's right at the edge of my main plot area too.

SWO is a good bet for your conditions.

Cold stream will ship to Canada, but it their selection is limited. They have SWO, Chinkapin oak, bur, and sawtooth. I can start with these and track down some hybrids next year.

Looks like Nutcracker Farm in Quebec has hybrid oaks. Anyone ever tried them?

Looks like Nutcracker Farm in Quebec has hybrid oaks. Anyone ever tried them?
I haven't. i direct seeded my trees.

Cold stream will ship to Canada, but it their selection is limited. They have SWO, Chinkapin oak, bur, and sawtooth. I can start with these and track down some hybrids next year.

The one in Michigan?