Best land manager

crackshot

Yearling... With promise
I’ve been looking at hiring a land manager to “setup” my 75 acres in Western PA. I was looking for first hand experience from
individuals and see who’s recommended. Myself and friends will do a majority of the work. This grounds main focus is whitetails, with turkey also being here noted there.

Erich Long @ Drumming Log Wildlife 740-502-4139

He's about an hour east of Columbus OH and knows his stuff.

I’ve only seen two in action. I’d recommend Jeff Sturgis of Whitetail Habitat Solutions. (Whitetailhabitatsolutions.com)

The only two I have personal experience with are Steve Bartylla and Jeff Sturgis. I'd recommend either.

The only two I have personal experience with are Steve Bartylla and Jeff Sturgis. I'd recommend either.
Steve no longer does it I believe. However his brother and nephew I believe took over that business of his. Anyone have any experience with them?

Steve no longer does it I believe. However his brother and nephew I believe took over that business of his. Anyone have any experience with them?

Steve still does it. He just doesn't do boots on the ground. He does it using aerial maps, topo maps and phone consults and life time questions answered (I think) for $600. He also gives you access to your plan online that can use to document your progress. I know because I have one....

http://food-plots-for-deer.com/aerial-photo-breakdown/

Crackshot, just throwing this out there. If you and your buds spend $125 or so on all of the literature ever written about this stuff....Sturgis's 3 volumes, Indrebo, Marchinton and Miller, Dougherty, Spinazolla, Bartylla, etc...and have more than 2 brain cells amongst you, IMHO you could easily lay out your 75 acres and save the money you are going to spend on a consultant for something else. It's not rocket science. Spending $800, $1000, $1500 on a consultant just seems like money not well spent...again, if you are fairly intelligent, can read a few books, study aerials and topo maps, and are willing to do some hard work. Spending $600 to have somebody look at your property on a computer screen sans boots on the ground and make suggestions seems like an outright racket.

For larger, complicated parcels and for new landowners who don't know the first thing about whitetail deer or habitat management, yeah, O.K., I get it. Hiring a consultant like Sturgis no doubt would pay off in spades. I'd recommend reading his 3 books and then deciding whether you really need to hire somebody like him or not on your 75. Tons of great info that I would think would give you and your crew some serious food for thought and a plan of action.

Crackshot, just throwing this out there. If you and your buds spend $125 or so on all of the literature ever written about this stuff....Sturgis's 3 volumes, Indrebo, Marchinton and Miller, Dougherty, Spinazolla, Bartylla, etc...and have more than 2 brain cells amongst you, IMHO you could easily lay out your 75 acres and save the money you are going to spend on a consultant for something else. It's not rocket science. Spending $800, $1000, $1500 on a consultant just seems like money not well spent...again, if you are fairly intelligent, can read a few books, study aerials and topo maps, and are willing to do some hard work. Spending $600 to have somebody look at your property on a computer screen sans boots on the ground and make suggestions seems like an outright racket.

For larger, complicated parcels and for new landowners who don't know the first thing about whitetail deer or habitat management, yeah, O.K., I get it. Hiring a consultant like Sturgis no doubt would pay off in spades. I'd recommend reading his 3 books and then deciding whether you really need to hire somebody like him or not on your 75. Tons of great info that I would think would give you and your crew some serious food for thought and a plan of action.

I agree with all you said. The only "but" is sometimes it's nice to have an outside set of eyes look at your plan/ layout/stand sets etc. I was something like 8 years in before I hired Steve. It was nice to know I hadn't gone in the wrong direction and screwed the pooch. :)

Hard to do a plan without actually seeing the property! Go with someone who will walk it with you, and go through the plan in person.

I agree with all you said. The only "but" is sometimes it's nice to have an outside set of eyes look at your plan/ layout/stand sets etc. I was something like 8 years in before I hired Steve. It was nice to know I hadn't gone in the wrong direction and screwed the pooch. :)

Totally agree Bill. I can see the benefit of getting second opinions and getting additional eyeballs on the ground.

I would add "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon to the above references

bill

When I contacted Steve Bartylla about consulting on my land I believe he wanted $2K to look at maps and work up a plan for me. Absolutely no walking your property. I could be wrong about his price, so don't jump on me for that figure.
My thought was, however much he wanted, that amount of money would go a long way towards paying for the seed, diesel fuel, propane, electric and all the other operating expenses of my land. I have been doing land and habitat management on my property for 27 years.
Now if you have the money and want his opinion, go for it. I do not think it can do any harm.

I pretty much hunt my ground myself. A good buddy will help me perform the habitat work, but mainly will be done by myself, wife and children(8 and 2). The first big concern with me is timber and timber value. Maximizing the timber value I have. Harvesting what needs harvested and won’t hurt me, hinge and terminate the rest to maximize my goals. Skip sligh talks a lot of keeping $$$ trees and ridding the rest. I know it’s often talked about making every inch of your property something that leads you to your end goals. I don’t have that now. I’m also wanting to add chestnuts, and fruit bearing trees.

I’ll also add that without putting boots on my ground I don’t believe my
Ground will be properly maximized. It contains some unique features that is hard to see without being there yourself. Another issue with my ground is entry/exit routes.

Where are you at in W PA

When I contacted Steve Bartylla about consulting on my land I believe he wanted $2K to look at maps and work up a plan for me. Absolutely no walking your property. I could be wrong about his price, so don't jump on me for that figure.
My thought was, however much he wanted, that amount of money would go a long way towards paying for the seed, diesel fuel, propane, electric and all the other operating expenses of my land. I have been doing land and habitat management on my property for 27 years.
Now if you have the money and want his opinion, go for it. I do not think it can do any harm.

Steve used to do aerial maps for 500$

He recently told me he sold that company

He said he trained the new owner

FWIW

bill

I’ve read indrebo’s book. I’ve read mapping trophy whitetails from Brad Herndon also. I’ve started reading Steve Bartylla’s habitat book. Do you have the book titles from Marchington and Miller, and also Dougherty’s book title?

I am also curious if anyone has used the guys that Steve Bartylla trained to take over his habitat photo plan business.

I pretty much hunt my ground myself. A good buddy will help me perform the habitat work, but mainly will be done by myself, wife and children(8 and 2). The first big concern with me is timber and timber value. Maximizing the timber value I have. Harvesting what needs harvested and won’t hurt me, hinge and terminate the rest to maximize my goals. Skip sligh talks a lot of keeping $$$ trees and ridding the rest. I know it’s often talked about making every inch of your property something that leads you to your end goals. I don’t have that now. I’m also wanting to add chestnuts, and fruit bearing trees.
I wonder if your state conservation or forestry department would come out and walk through your property with you and offer some timber advice. In my home state (Missouri) it’s a free service and can be pretty beneficial. My property had a timber harvest about four years before I bought it so I didn’t do that but I know of others who did and it was quite valuable for them. It might be worth looking into.

I’ve read indrebo’s book. I’ve read mapping trophy whitetails from Brad Herndon also. I’ve started reading Steve Bartylla’s habitat book. Do you have the book titles from Marchington and Miller, and also Dougherty’s book title?

Yes, the Dougherty and Dougherty book I have is called Grow 'Em Right: A Guide to Creating Habitat and Food Plots. Marchinton and Miller's book is called Quality Whitetails: The Why and How of Quality Whitetail Management. Another awesome book I failed to mention is called Quality Food Plots: Your Guide to Better Deer and Better Deer Hunting by Kammermeyer, Miller, and Thomas.