All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best 4-wheeler

wklman

5 year old buck +
All right guys I'm looking for real world experience. I want good or bad. I'm looking to buy a 4-wheeler either this fall or next spring when I come back up to MN. I'm looking for at least a 500 cc or bigger and 4x4. It'll mostly be used for spraying, a little food plot work, spreading fert/lime, etc. I'm hard on equipment so I need something reliable that will last. Thanks ahead of time. Wade.

You're gonna get a lot of different opinions on this. My experience is with a Yamaha Kodiak 400 and it's been nothing but good going on 13 yrs and ive beat the crap out of it. I've replaced front shocks cause the mounts broke(weak design) and that's about it. I would have no issues buying another Yamaha but I would be going up to a 500 with power steering. My father in law has a newer bombardier and I really like it a lot. I think it's a 600cc. He has had some mechanical issues just recently but I can't remember what exactly the issue was. Im familiar with older Polaris atvs and they were terrible. Not real familiar with the newest models and all their features.

Honda Rubicon. I do close to 7 acres of food plots a year. I bought it new in 2003 and all I have had to have fixed was getting the carb rebuilt.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad about Polaris. Any info is good though. Anybody have trouble with any of the fuel injected models?

Yamaha 550

I like the newer EFI...4 Stroke

500cc tops and power steering.

You can't put more than about 25hp to the ground weighing less than 1000lbs, and any more than that just costs you extra fuel.

Trail riding, mudding, etc; then more displacement/power is fine. For work - there's a reason Honda didn't make a bigger machine for a decade and still charged top dollar for it.

I like my 700 H1 Mud Pro from Arctic Cat, but I wish I had power steering and better fuel economy. The suspension bushings and brake pads wore out quickly for me, but I used to go floorboards deep in mud 2+ times a day, so it's not all their fault. Suspension bushings and motor mount bushings are weak points on the AC's. They're relatively cheap parts and not all that hard to replace, but they are known for being wear items.

I went to solid engine mounts, and urethane suspension bushings about 300 miles ago and haven't had any problems since.

Generally speaking, AC parts are reasonable, and they're easy to wrench on.

500cc tops and power steering.

You can't put more than about 25hp to the ground weighing less than 1000lbs, and any more than that just costs you extra fuel.

Trail riding, mudding, etc; then more displacement/power is fine. For work - there's a reason Honda didn't make a bigger machine for a decade and still charged top dollar for it.

I like my 700 H1 Mud Pro from Arctic Cat, but I wish I had power steering and better fuel economy. The suspension bushings and brake pads wore out quickly for me, but I used to go floorboards deep in mud 2+ times a day, so it's not all their fault. Suspension bushings and motor mount bushings are weak points on the AC's. They're relatively cheap parts and not all that hard to replace, but they are known for being wear items.

I went to solid engine mounts, and urethane suspension bushings about 300 miles ago and haven't had any problems since.

Generally speaking, AC parts are reasonable, and they're easy to wrench on.
The Arctic cat is kinda where I'm leaning towards because of that Jim. I don't mind wrenching on stuff and the a/c isn't that hard to work on.

Arctic Cat. I bought one 4 years ago when I purchased the property. I'm like you I work my equipment. For me it was a skidder, tractor, stump puller you name it I did it with it. Mines a 700 with a 3000lb winch. Traction will be your biggest enemy. I loose it before power. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if ever needed. When I pulled stumps I'd cut up to 8 in Dia trees about 4ft high. Hook the wheeler to a tree double the winch cable and pull. I'm truly supprized I didn't stretch the frame. It's getting a well deserved rest now that I have a tractor. The thing never gave me one trouble and the way I used it I should have.

I almost forgot I bought a non current model brand new and saved about 2k doing so. Even got a full warranty.

I have a 3500lb winch on the back and a 5k on the front. I've pulled snags down that lifted the machine off the ground.

They're tough!

I was in your shoes a year ago. After much research I went with the Yamaha 550 efi with the power steering. Knock on wood but it had been bullet proof. Great for food plotting and trail riding. The power steering is phenomenal and wonce you get it you will never get another machine w/o that option. My wife and kids drive it and they love it as well. The joke is that it is my wife's atv and my atv is the riding mower. The only change I would make is maybe looking closer at the 700. Go with the Yamaha and don't look back.

I think most atv manufacturers make a decent quality machine anymore, with what they cost they better.
Knock on wood, I haven't had any troubles yet out of the Polaris sportsman I bought used.I like the efi, bed, & long wheel base.20150917_205049.jpg

Grizzly 550. Thats all I have to say about that. :)

And I still don't own one.... probably the last person on the forum.

And I still don't own one.... probably the last person on the forum.

I don't either but wish I did. Too many other priorities right now.

I know of a great deal on an arctic cat and trailer that I once asked about at the other site. It is still available but I have nowhere to keep it. I really need to build a cabin and storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2008 Arctic Cat 700 H1....love the thing. EFI, liquid cooled, 2" frame mounted box hitch receiver...I run out of traction before I ever run out of power.

Best 4 wheeler has been the one I bought from a customer for $500. I pumped up the tires and replaced the battery, works good! Been using it for 2 years now.

I'll never hunt without one again. Not for hunting but for all the pre and post hunt activities. Ladderstand so go up on a jiff if u throw a rope over a limb, tie it to the stand and then to the 4 wheeler and back up.

I have a Polaris sportsman 500 that hasn't given a problem in the 8 years I've had it. It's even been upside down twice.
My Polaris side by side has issues with EFI, it's in the shop now.

I'd say buy a brand with a dealer close by. Polaris is 1 hour away from me. There are no other dealers even close to that so own ploaris's.

I'm still afoot when it comes to hunting. We have a new JD at camp for food plotting and I take my truck into the woods for firewood cutting. Probably gonna get one when I retire for getting deer out of the woods. Some places I hunt no truck will get to !!

Kymco is supplying Arctic Cat with their smaller atv's. Kinda like Deere and Yanmar.

How well they hold up long term is probably still a crap shoot.

The ones I'd steer clear of are the ones at Menards. Do you go to guest services, the rebate wall, or the pro desk when you need parts? :eek: ATV's are going to break stuff if you work them or ride woods. If you can't fix it, that cheap rig just got really expensive as a boat anchor.

2008 AC 700's have a front diff recall for an insufficient weld on the spider gear cross pin. You shouldn't ride it unless that's been serviced. If the weld fails it locks the front wheels and the machine will flip over if you're at speed.

AC's supplier screwed this up and they're warrantying the recall - no charge regardless of mileage. Get it checked out.