Bench top chainsaw chain sharpener?

j-bird

Anyone use or have experience or advice with these things? Looking into getting one, but not a full blown professional model. I use my round file in the woods, and hate paying someone to do it and then they ruin it.

JBird, I'm with you on not wanting to pay. I bought the Stihl sharpening tool and really like it.download.jpg

I'm not an experienced chain saw guy but my brother uses one weekly. He works the grounds for a college campus with plenty of woods. He cuts down and clears lots of trees and cuts several cord of firewood a year. He too really likes the Stihl tool. Those stump vises are great too.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of a bench top grinder type unit. My round file works fine for touch ups, but when it gets to the point where I can't even cut in a straight line anymore - it needs more than just a round file!

I've never used or seen anyone use one of those. They sure do look useful though. Keep us posted on your experiences if you go that route.

I will admit I bought the Harbor Freight sharpener based on a friend with a decent review. ~$24 with the coupon and I have a store about 1.5 miles from the house. I have used it on two chains and only used one, but it seems to work quite a bit better than my hand round file jobs. Takes a bit of care for consistency. But for something from HF , it does actually have pretty good reviews.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-61613.html

Last edited:
I will admit I bought the Harbor Freight sharpener based on a friend with a decent review. ~$24 with the coupon and I have a store about 1.5 miles from the house. I have used it on two chains and only used one, but it seems to work quite a bit better than my hand round file jobs. Takes a bit of care for consistency.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-61613.html
I'll look into this one as well, I just tend to see products from HF as a one time use tool, because that seems to be about the level of quality of the stuff they carry......or at least about the amount of times I use their stuff before I reduce it to pieces. I destroyed a socket set once in a weekend......we made a joke out of it just to see how many we could end up breaking in the end.....and yes beer drinking was involved! When the ratchet exploded and hit the guy in the head.....that was well worth the price of the socket set right there!!!! He has a scare from it he tells everyone he got it at HF!:D

I don't personally have one of these yet, but a buddy of mine does.
Carbide bit sharpens with out heating the tooth. It kinda works like a pencil sharpener. I watched him use it and it was pretty slick.

Pricier than harbor frieght though.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=48570&itemnum=94500&title=TimberLine Saw Sharpener
Thanks Bill - thats the second good comment about this I have seen (yes - I posted the same ? on other sites).

If get something - I'll do a "review" so to speak.

Are your chains to far gone to sharpen with a round file? I sharpen with a file and have had people offer to "sharpen" the chain for me with their grinders. I've had to fix everyone with my round file. I have also had many people as how my saws cut so well. With lots of practice I think the ole round file is the way to go.

I have this one:
https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...-mount-electric-chainsaw-chain-sharpener.html

It works pretty well, but you need some mechanical ability to really make it work. Not a precision tool, but useful if you pay attention.

-John

My brother has that one. Works great for him. I have one of the hand Stihl 2 in 1 file, I like it because I can take it in the woods with me and sharpen the chains on the saw as needed.

Are your chains to far gone to sharpen with a round file? I sharpen with a file and have had people offer to "sharpen" the chain for me with their grinders. I've had to fix everyone with my round file. I have also had many people as how my saws cut so well. With lots of practice I think the ole round file is the way to go.

A round file is likely the way to go.... I don't use my saw enough to get good at it, and when I'm in the field just want to keep cutting. Pop a dull chain off, a sharp one on, and away I go.

If you know what you are doing you can get them as sharp as new with a grinder. I imagine you can make them pretty dull too.

-John

I use a Stihl round file with the angle guide attachment. I always have 2 or 3 sharp chains with me when I head to the woods - like John - for speed's sake. But I use the file and get good results when I'm back home.

Wouldn't mind looking into the model in Bill's post #7 though. Easy is good !!

I bought the electric sharpener from HF around 4 years ago. Because it was so cheap I thought it would only last one season if I were lucky. Before I bought it I would take my chains to a local shop and paid $6 per chain. That sharpener has paid for itself in the last week alone. As long as you set the machine at the proper angle, it will sharpen almost as good as a new chain. Rods are fine, but the machine does it in half the time. We cut trees for habitat improvement as well as fire wood. I have been considering up-grading to a better sharpener, but I can't justify spending any more cash right now when the HF sharpener that I picked up for $29.99 is still doing a great job.

I don't personally have one of these yet, but a buddy of mine does.
Carbide bit sharpens with out heating the tooth. It kinda works like a pencil sharpener. I watched him use it and it was pretty slick.

Pricier than harbor frieght though.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=48570&itemnum=94500&title=TimberLine Saw Sharpener
View attachment 12226
Those look cool I just wonder how they work

Bill - Thanks for the info. Always room to improve methods / results.

I bought the attachment that goes on a Dremel. It seems to work well pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk