Bee,Wasp Sting Allergy

strawhead

5 year old buck +
Only mentioning this to let others become more aware. 62yrs. old and before Tuesday have never had any kind of reaction to a bee or wasp sting. Have been stung plenty in the past. On Tuesday got stung twice by a wasp-wasps. 30 minutes later had to make the 911 call. Had all the dangerous reactions. I was near a phone. The day before I was exploring a mile and more in the bush. ALL IS GOOD. I now have to carry an epipen with me. Just wanted to remind everyone of the unforeseen that can happen.

Glad to hear you are ok. I just heard the price of those things has increased exponentially in recent months. From $100 per 2 pak in 2009 to $600 now, not sure how they can justify that other than straight up price gouging on folks who rely on that medication when it only costs them a few dollars per dose to create it.

Mylan the manufacturer blames the price increase on changes in health care deductibles. i.e. Obamacare.

Mylan's CEO is the daughter of west Virginia' Democratic senator Joe Manchin who is a supporter of Obamacare.

You can't make this crap up.

Glad you're ok and got the treatment you needed!

DITTO ALL OF THE ABOVE. Thanks Everyone.

Glad your ok. Suck's getting old doesn't it. I'm lucky, a week ago I was winding up the hose on the reel. Didn't know the wasp were building a next in a hole on the back side of it. I got nailed 5 times in the hand and fingers. Finger's & hand swelled up like you wouldn't believe. An old trick I had heard once was to put a penny on the sting. I did that and the swelling went down pretty fast. Don't know if it was from the penny or just because the swelling didn't last that long.

Price gouging - it's the corporate way. I did hear on the news that a Florida ( I think ) company was going to supply the epi at cost. That will be a good thing and cut the hell out of Mylan's business for that drug.

Glad to hear you're OK, Straw !!

Just a thought ........ I wonder if the person who actually invented epinephrine and the pen method of delivery got such a huge pay increase too ?? I'm guessing not. How many newly-minted ceo's actually come up with / invent a product or process that takes the market by storm ?? It's the scientists, engineers, chemists - NOT the ceo's who deliver the goods to market. Without them, what does a ceo have to offer the world ?? I believe that if a scientist / engineer / chemist comes up with the next " biggest thing ", the buying public will find THEM without any aid from executives and marketers adding to the price of said product. The inventors should reap the rewards - not a bean counter / delegator of tasks.

Last edited:
Price gouging - it's the corporate way. I did hear on the news that a Florida ( I think ) company was going to supply the epi at cost. That will be a good thing and cut the hell out of Mylan's business for that drug.

Glad to hear you're OK, Straw !!
Only one problem with that BnB, the FDA has shot down many other companies similar products for their "delivery pens" failing. Funny thing is, the failure rate is only % points above the failure rates of the Mylan product. Me thinks someone is getting their pockets lined with that extra $500 bones they are charging!!!!:eek:

Epinephrine has been around for nearly 100 years...........that guy didn't get no raise. The delivery pens were invented in the 70's by a guy for the US military to deliver nerve gas antidotes, he died in 2009, so guessing he saw nothing either. Mylan didn't "invent" anything regarding the Epipen, they just own the rights to that specific technology right now.

I thought patents only lasted a specific period of time depending on the type... Can you buy a similar product in Europe or Mexico and have it shipped to your house?

Glad to hear your OK, my wife and youngest son both puff right up if they are stung.

Whip - Yep, the FDA has pulled the plug on some others for sure. A doctor was just on Good Morning America talking about who else has their hand in the epi price pie. Mylan, drug distributors, insurance companies ( big shock there !! ), and some type of benefit " administrators ". ( I love that term - administrators. Nothing more than another set of hands sucking money from the system they're embedded in. ) Think tick, or leach.

This type of robbery is JUST NOT POSSIBLE !!!!!!! THESE PEOPLE ARE PILLARS OF THE COMMUNITY !!!!!!!!!! I'm sure if we look further down the ladder, we will find a disgruntled employee, a ROGUE employee bent on climbing the corporate ladder .......... you know ....... These lower life-forms are always the real culprits. :rolleyes:

And Whip ....... How can you be so cynical about someone getting greased behind closed doors ??? ( post #10 ) That kind of stuff, like paying for someone's kids' college educations, brown envelopes full of cash, vacations, cars, etc. - it's just Hollywood fantasy !!!!!! These are fine, up-standing folks that belong to 4 country clubs, the Chamber of Commerce, the Better Business Bureau ( proven pay-for-rating - 60 minutes or 20-20, I believe ),
the local church, have vacation homes in Vail, the Adirondacks, Montana, and an island in the Carribean, and live in a splendid, gated community. It's simply not possible that they are involved in any wrongdoing or price gouging. :rolleyes:

The good news is that 2 other companies are going to produce delivery systems of epinephrine. That was just talked about in the news this A.M. More people working on the problem is a good thing.

The good news is that 2 other companies are going to produce delivery systems of epinephrine. That was just talked about in the news this A.M. More people working on the problem is a good thing.
Now those 2 companies just need to start lining the pockets of the FDA and all those folks you mentioned above, so their products can be approved on the fast track and not pulled from the consumer market by the FDA for being a "non-paying" competitor to Mylan!

Vicious circle - everybody wants some juice. Big pharma / ins. company thinking : " If you can't pay, you were just meant to be culled out of the herd. "
That leaves the " more desirables " to be treated. For something so IMMEDIATELY NEEDED within minutes of an allergic reaction, how can any company hold out their hand first ?? .............. prohibitively expensive .............. good Christian folk, too, no doubt. ( see stories of Lazarus and Good Samaritan )

Allergies are a crazy thing. I've become somewhat allergic to bee stings in just the last 2 years.
I also used to be alergic to ragweed...I bush hogged a jungle of it today. I was in a cloud of pollen and never sneezed a single time.
I used to be able to eat shellfish and now the stuff can literally kill me. Allergies can come and go.

As for the epipen issue, you can bet that the free market is not unfettered in this case.
The cost of drug development and consumer cost to buy is extremely complicated and government tampering with health care and international trade is only making matters worse.
And whether it be pharmaceuticals, energy, or any other industry, just remember...if profit is removed or restricted, then the future advances that we all demand will cease to exist.
Just let the free market alone...it works every time.

Glad to hear your ok straw. When I was a kid I would pick bees off flowers by their wings and keep them in gallon jars. If I got both wings, success, one wing, miserable failure!
Don't know if it was the multiple stings or bad luck, but I had a reaction that gave me the only hospital stay of my life so far and I'm supposed to keep an epi with me at all times, though I will admit I forget it sometimes.
As for the delivery, my newer ones are spring loaded, but the first ones I had were simply a wickedly large syringe in a case. Don't know why they got away from the simple approach.

I have excellent insurance, ( I have been told) but I still order most of my pharmaceuticals from Northwest pharmacy out of canada. Here is an example. If there is a drug in the USA that does not have a generic alternative, chances are there is one in Canada. I take a acid reflux pill. If I go to Walgreen through my insurance it's 30 dollars for a 30 day supply. My insurance is billed 350 bucks. If I go to the northwest pharmacy it's 15 dollars for a 30 day supply. So??? I pay less out of pocket and I give less money from my company to the insurance. SOLD The list goes on and on.... IN my opinion it is the BIGGEST scam in america, health insurance and the pharma industry.

I just looked up the epi-pen and there is not one, not sure of your dose, but they are either 70 bucks or 130 bucks. That is ALL out of pocket and your insurance will not pay for it.

Just wait until ya get stung on Tha peckerhead, voiding right after shooting ur doe