All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bear Weight Guesses

nrowles

5 year old buck +
Got this picture on my trail cam. Someone asked what I think the weight is. I am not good at this game. I'll go with 350. What you think?

EBgIZlC.jpg

I'll start by saying I'm no expert at judging a bear's weight either, but I think that bear is closer to 250 lbs than 350. Regardless, that is a nice healthy bear, in a nice healthy opening of clover! Great pic.

No clue when it comes to bears. I’ve heard they all look big.

200-225

Must be the fur. I almost weigh 200 lbs and that thing looks much bigger than me. I don't think he's fitting in 33" waist jeans. LOL. I agree they probably do look bigger than what they actually are.

Date is off because I bought a new cheapo camera and they put the day before the month. Didn't realize until I checked card first time.

Here's the very next picture. Neat.

yYLQNZy.jpg

200-225. The key to a bear is head and ear shape. Once the ears look tiny on the bear, that means it is a big bear. When the head is big enough to make the ears look tiny, their heads look more round. Also their bellies tend to sag to almost the ground, and it will look like they barely have any legs.

200-225. The key to a bear is head and ear shape. Once the ears look tiny on the bear, that means it is a big bear. When the head is big enough to make the ears look tiny, their heads look more round. Also their bellies tend to sag to almost the ground, and it will look like they barely have any legs.

That's some good info and makes sense. Never thought of it like that.

I agree with 200 lbs. They all taste good though, so get a bear license and shoot him.

I agree with 200 lbs. They all taste good though, so get a bear license and shoot him.

I'll pile on in the 200lb range. Maybe a few more but not much.

-John

I dont have a whole lot of experience with bear weights - only had my hands on six or eight. I have a whole lot of experience with hogs - killing hundreds of them. I think bears and hogs have at least one thing in common - overestimation of weight. I think there are a whole lot of four hundred pound bears and hogs, that when actually put on a scale, weigh 200 lbs.

When guessing bear, think of shaving 6 in of fur off the whole body. That one is a young one, long neck/no chest or shoulder yet, no belly, small skull. PA has some big ass bear but that one is 180 probably or if you bump into him in the dark going to your stand , he'd weigh about 650.

Don't know if it's accurate or not but was told if you can find a track, how wide the pad of the foot is 100lbs for every inch wide plus one. If the pad is 3" wide it should be around 400lbs if that theory is true? Time of year makes a difference also. I would guess maybe 250lbs. Get him to step on a scale--then we'll know for sure!

Agreed with many around 200

I was thinking this guy was in that 225-250 range. I wont pass him if I can collect one of those surplus tags this year.

MFDC1100.JPGMFDC1101.JPG

I had the big one on my target list, the little one looks like yours.
big lil.jpg

It's hard for me to judge bear weights, but I am with Bucksutherland... that one is big enough! I can see why that bruiser is on your hit list Mikmaze, that's a lot of bear.