Bad Boy Recoil?

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
Does anyone care to offe an opinion on a recent model year electric Recoil or Recoil IS? I'm a Polaris guy so started my search with the EV. My dealer sells both so for the sake of comparison also recommended look into Bad Boy.

Any and all insight on maintenance, reliability, functionality, ride, off road and utility capability...anything. I'm all ears.

Both are out of my price range.......

Had a 2010 Polaris EV. It did what I wanted for hunting. But once I had it I wanted it for everything. Traded it for a gas engine and won't ever go back. Just to useful to leave it plugged in.

Run, run, run as fast as you can. Anyone who buys any Bad Boy product with the reviews out in the hunting world deserves exactly what they will most likely get. A never ending headache.If you need a buggy for work get one with a gas engine.If you need to creep around for hunting buy a plain jane lifted 48 volt electric.It took me six years of misery and about $10,000 to figure that one out.

Run, run, run as fast as you can. Anyone who buys any Bad Boy product with the reviews out in the hunting world deserves exactly what they will most likely get. A never ending headache.If you need a buggy for work get one with a gas engine.If you need to creep around for hunting buy a plain jane lifted 48 volt electric.It took me six years of misery and about $10,000 to figure that one out.

I have to agree, I own a $2,800 4wheeler and a $2,000 48 volt cart. I have less than half in those 2 rigs as a bad boy!

Thanks all. I have indeed read many reviews on the BBs so simply thought I'd ask here to get a few more data points. There does appear to be some consensus that they don't have an altogether great reputation. Having already gone the lifted golf cart route (absolute maintenance nightmare) I need reliability.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks all. I have indeed read many reviews on the BBs so simply thought I'd ask here to get a few more data points. There does appear to be some consensus that they don't have an altogether great reputation. Having already gone the lifted golf cart route (absolute maintenance nightmare) I need reliability.

Back to the drawing board.

Maintenance Nightmare? I have had mine 4 years and only one $30 part so far and one $160 battery. What went wrong on yours?

I know this might seem strange, but have any of you guys bought or considered gokarts? Looking at prices online and on local craigslist I could buy gokarts for the whole family for the price of a golf cart, and a decent little truck for the price a UTV. I also don't think they would be to difficult to customize for your needs...

What went wrong on yours?
Man, sure wish I'd had your experience Mo.

First it was the crumbled nylon bushings in the upper and lower control arms needing to be replaced. Then the controller failed so had to replace it along with 5 or 6 busted bolts in the steering/tie rod/control arm assembly. Then came the burning smell from the rear motor...brushes...replacement. After axle spline wear when the rear end wasn't reassembled properly left me stranded, I dragged that thing back up to the shop, put it on the trailer (yet again) and took it back to the dealer telling him to replace a whole list of things with new parts since it was still under warranty (this is all within 7 months of purchase). Listed, sold, and now researching replacements.

Keep in mind these things didn't happen all at once so for awhile it was literally every time we used it, something else would fail. As much time as we spend working the farm, I just don't have time to continuously work on unreliable equipment or replacing crappy components. Time diagnosing issues, making a parts run then repair, trailering back and forth to the dealer 45 minutes away...I felt like a certified golf cart technician!

I'm running Jap mini trucks. It's ideal for my situation. Heat/AC enclosed cab, and can run 60MPH if needed. Has low range 4x4 for tooling around the farm or pulling cultipacker, etc. I have 2 farms about 8 miles apart, if the wife has the truck, or if someone wants to hunt the other farm it's up to the task. Have less than a Polaris Ranger in two of them. They are street legal in Indiana, so I have license plates on mine. Never had an issue in MO with or without the plates. Insurance is $50/year. 50 MPG.

6c4f32b2b36b61b2c3921280d963b562.jpg

Last edited:
These mini-trucks interest me. Are they all manual transmission or are some of them autos?

-John

You can find an auto, mainly on the newer trucks. I'd love to have a newer one, EFI, power steering, etc.

Where do you find them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the steering wheel on the left or right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these mini trucks street legal in Wisconsin?

You can find them at several dealers. A couple have been approved to import modern trucks from the EPA, otherwise the trucks imported are over 25 years to comply with our lovely regulations. I have purchased both of mine off of individuals here in the states who no longer needed theirs. There is a large, reputable dealer in MO, G&R Imports. They are importing lots of trucks, and also have a great parts and service department. They will also wholesale container loads of trucks. At one point I was considering importing a container load and selling a few, but never went through with the plan.

Yes, mine has the steering wheel on the rights. Pedals are in the same position as you would expect, it's the turn signal that gets me the most.

I'm not really sure if they are street legal in Wisconsin. They just became street legal in Indiana this year, not sure why.

I love the mini-trucks too, but right now they are SO popular they are hard to come by under $10K for a an 8-10 year old model. 15 years old or older you can get for $7K frmom
Are these mini trucks street legal in Wisconsin?

The research I have done is that they are NOT street legal in WI, due to lack of several safety things, but can be registered as OHV and driven on roads that are legal for ATVs/SXSs.

I really want one, my BIL has one and they are awesome, quiet, get incredible mileage, are tough as nails and haul anything at all.

I've been looking at 1999 - 2001 models in the $7K range

mini.PNG

(319) 290-8786

Worked on a golf course for a number of years growing up. Constant problems with the electrical wires, connectors, corrosion, batteries, etc.

Add that you want to have this motorized device be on a rough terrain with excessive dirt, wet ground, etc.?

Where do you actually see these electric driven vehicles in an industrial application ... nowhere.

One of you owe me 3k.... Thanks to this thread, I am the proud owner of a mini truck.

20160909_200550.jpg

It was pretty dark by the time we got home, I'll get a better picture tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk