All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backhoe dolly or cradle design?

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
I have a Kubota tractor with a BH92 backhoe. It is a quick disconnect so I can use the 3 pt hitch. Last spring when I remove and stored, the stabilizer arms & front arm released hydraulic pressure and the backhoe tilted forward. This made reattaching the backhoe a real challenge. I had to use jacks to slowly re-position, block & brace as I went to get the tractor & backhoe back in alignment to reattach.

The backhoe weighs 1800 lbs and with it's height was very concerned with top heavy weight. I have seen commercial dollies for smaller backhoes, but not for larger ones.

Does anyone have any experience or tips for storage to make this process easier and more safe? Or is their a commercial dolly available?

I have a Kubota tractor with a BH92 backhoe. It is a quick disconnect so I can use the 3 pt hitch. Last spring when I remove and stored, the stabilizer arms & front arm released hydraulic pressure and the backhoe tilted forward. This made reattaching the backhoe a real challenge. I had to use jacks to slowly re-position, block & brace as I went to get the tractor & backhoe back in alignment to reattach.

The backhoe weighs 1800 lbs and with it's height was very concerned with top heavy weight. I have seen commercial dollies for smaller backhoes, but not for larger ones.

Does anyone have any experience or tips for storage to make this process easier and more safe? Or is their a commercial dolly available?

Spudd,

I have the same backhoe, with one exception...are you saying yours is a 3 point back hoe? I thought the 92 was subframe only.
Either way, the easiest and cheapest way to prevent the issue is to put a few jack stands under it when you store it. Mine is still stored so if it would help I can shoot you a few pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. Jack stands are always a good idea. I would think you have to have a little leak somewhere allowing it to lose pressure.

Spudd,

I have the same backhoe, with one exception...are you saying yours is a 3 point back hoe? I thought the 92 was subframe only.
Either way, the easiest and cheapest way to prevent the issue is to put a few jack stands under it when you store it. Mine is still stored so if it would help I can shoot you a few pics.

Sorry, it is a sub frame mount. Yes pictures would be as I am trying to see how back hoe was arranged so it was balanced.

Thanks!

Yea. Jack stands are always a good idea. I would think you have to have a little leak somewhere allowing it to lose pressure.

No evidence of hydraulic leak on the cement. It was stored for 8 months.

Spudd,

Sorry, it is a sub frame mount. Yes pictures would be as I am trying to see how back hoe was arranged so it was balanced.

Thanks!

I will post some pics tonight.
If you have a leak it will probably be under the control shroud. A very small leak will cause your hydraulics to drop a lot.

Here’s how I have stored mine for a few years and it’s very solid.
FWIW I use more jack stands then necessary.
8db22068f7e2ee3f29e442feb126a437.jpg

77e7cbbce9602e7325b9ea0dcb70f3ac.jpg

dd44e0ee7c23d9cca0128b40e279e7ac.jpg

Yote ... Thanks! How heavy is your BH77?

I had to jack the seat end up, then start to lift the bucket end to try and re-position so I get the lower sub-frame pegs into their cradles then get the pin slots aligned. The BH92 is 1800 lbs so it took 3.5 hours to get it back into position. At least 2 hours was stepping back looking where the accident was about to happen.

IMG_20180107_102857.jpg

IMG_20180107_115215.jpg

I had to jack the seat end up, then start to lift the bucket end to try and re-position so I get the lower sub-frame pegs into their cradles then get the pin slots aligned. The BH92 is 1800 lbs so it took 3.5 hours to get it back into position. At least 2 hours was stepping back looking where the accident was about to happen.

View attachment 17290

View attachment 17291

If I understand what your sayin correctly, I wish I would have been there to help you.
I never try to drive mine in, what I do is pull mine just close enough to connect my hose’s and use the hydraulics to put it into the sub frame. Sometimes I get a stubborn one and it will take me 6 minutes to load up the backhoe, usually take me about 3 minutes and the hardest part is getting the pressure right so the two pins slide in easy.

I’ve had mine in a situation like yours before and their was no jacking required as long as you can connect your hoses.

Hope that makes sense!

View attachment 17290

View attachment 17291

If I understand what your sayin correctly, I wish I would have been there to help you.
I never try to drive mine in, what I do is pull mine just close enough to connect my hose’s and use the hydraulics to put it into the sub frame. Sometimes I get a stubborn one and it will take me 6 minutes to load up the backhoe, usually take me about 3 minutes and the hardest part is getting the pressure right so the two pins slide in easy.

I’ve had mine in a situation like yours before and their was no jacking required as long as you can connect your hoses.

Hope that makes sense!

Hard to text everything I want to communicate about this, if I’m not making sense pm me your number and I will call you and explain in great detail, but I could never imagine having to use cribbing and a hi-lift jack to put it on. Hopefully I can help you simplify this procedure.

Hope that makes sense!

I was 18-22" short on hose connection. Still learning alot ... thanks for all your help .... really good stuff man!

I've had a few hoes over the years (ha) and just get close enough to connect hoses then dance it into position. Usually toss a log under the bulkhead just so the out riggers can't settle to much. The high lift jack in pictures makes my fingers nervous

Can't say I could do it in 3 min thou.

Spud- even your loader bucket has nice paint. Maybe don't listen to me, my equipment is never that nice! Once you break everything in it'll fit easy :)

Last edited:
I've had a few hoes over the years (ha) and just get close enough to connect hoses then dance it into position. Usually toss a log under the bulkhead just so the out riggers can't settle to much. The high lift jack in pictures makes my fingers nervous

Can't say I could do it in 3 min thou.

Spud- even your loader bucket has nice paint. Maybe don't listen to me, my equipment is never that nice! Once you break everything in it'll fit easy :)

I'm just a weekender at this point ... kinda emabarassed paint looks that good :emoji_astonished:

Amazed and a bit scared at what these tractors are capable of. Took out 2 tree stumps that had 3" roots ...

8db22068f7e2ee3f29e442feb126a437.jpg

77e7cbbce9602e7325b9ea0dcb70f3ac.jpg

dd44e0ee7c23d9cca0128b40e279e7ac.jpg

I will say one thing for you ........ you keep things darn clean!!!!!!! I have been doing a much better job of that, but you put me to shame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk