Back from Minnesota

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Just got back from MN on our little vacation. All in all a good time, would have been better if the wind would have cooperated a bit more. My boy and I caught a few fish (1 northern a walleye that was a no keep because it was in the restricted slot and a bunch of rock bass which we had never caught before so that was cool) , I guess not bad considering we didnt fish much and we had no inside scoop on the fishing. Not used to clear water and the associated vegetation! Are the lakes more vegetation free in the spring? Ate at Zorbaz on Pelican Lake that was our best eats. Hit the flea market up by Detroit Lakes that was worth the stop as well. I could get used to spending the summers in that area.

glad you had a great trip. Did you eat the rock bass, they are more of a pan fish and great eating

See MN isn't as bad as some make it sound on here. Rock bass can be fun to catch, usually eager biters.

Just got back from MN on our little vacation. All in all a good time, would have been better if the wind would have cooperated a bit more. My boy and I caught a few fish (1 northern a walleye that was a no keep because it was in the restricted slot and a bunch of rock bass which we had never caught before so that was cool) , I guess not bad considering we didnt fish much and we had no inside scoop on the fishing. Not used to clear water and the associated vegetation! Are the lakes more vegetation free in the spring? Ate at Zorbaz on Pelican Lake that was our best eats. Hit the flea market up by Detroit Lakes that was worth the stop as well. I could get used to spending the summers in that area.
Which Pelican Lake were you on? There are several in Minnesota.

Fishing in Minnesota is usually at its best in June and then October. I have a place on Pelican lake near cross-lake/near Brainerd and in the summer I focus on the large mouth population and don't spend much time chasing eyes. Bass are great fun to catch.

Lake vegetation differs greatly between lakes and the type of lake you are on. Western Minnesota lakes are known as being weedy compared to central and northern Minnesota lakes. Weeds are not all bad depending on what you are looking for.

There is a Zorbas in Cross lake, the Pizza is great and its a fun spot to watch people.

Did you try any water skying or tubing?

The lakes in that area have always been clear and now have even more clarity with the zebra mussels. Weeds are about the worst this time of year. Spring up until mid June they aren't bad and then they start to die back in late August. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Freeborn - he is talking about the Pelican near Pelican Rapids/Detroit Lakes.

Sounds like fun, that's always the important part

We were on Lake Lida. The cabin we were in was on the south shore of the north lake. We had access to a nice pontoon boat but I was a little hesitant about taking it out into rough waters that I was unfamilar with. 30mph gusts for 2 out of the 3 days we were there. I would enjoy going back sometime and focusing more on fishing. The skiing and tubing thing is something we can do here at home. The land is something competely different than here. Here at home it is as flat as a pancake for the most part, mostly treeless and definitely not covered in lakes!

Been a windy few weeks.....as I can attest. The Pelican Lake and Zorbaz are different than the ones Jerry is talking about. They are about 100 miles apart.

If the wind had been out of the south we would have been ok. We are used to the wind here at home, but we know how to work with it in familar surroundings.

You come thru again...PM me and I will get you and your boy on some private pond fishing, free of charge. You want to rent the cabin for a couple of days that will cost ya....1 case of Coor's Light for each day stayed ;) Great way to meet and thank guys for helping me. Hwy 10 runs about 5 miles from my camp

Thanks for the offer! I told my son maybe next year right after school is out in mid May we would try and make a run up to MN again. I would enjoy traveling around a bit and gettng to meet people I only know by name, just seems that time is always in short supply.

Lake Lida is usually very good fishing. Windy and late July of course does not help.