Austrian Winter Peas

cspot

5 year old buck +
Since there is in the forecast for midweek I put in the winter peas tonight. Ground was pretty dry and hard, but the tiller did a pretty decent job. Didn't spray this plot at all. Just tilled. Never planted them by themselves before so I decided to give it a whirl.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

Since there is in the forecast for midweek I put in the winter peas tonight. Ground was pretty dry and hard, but the tiller did a pretty decent job. Didn't spray this plot at all. Just tilled. Never planted them by themselves before so I decided to give it a whirl.

by cspot12, on Flickr

by cspot12, on Flickr

They are low growing and eaten quickly ... I would overseed with red clover, PTT, & WR ... good luck!

I was thinking exactly what Tree Spud said. I love your tractor by the way!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I only tried them once. They got hammered...

im afraid they are doomed early in a plot that size

Would oversee with other species as suggested above

bill

That's awesome! Planting my Austrian Peas later today! I've never planted them (at all), so I'm hoping to keep track of how yours are doing in comparison. We have rain the forecast for tomorrow. I'm using T&M for planting into some strips of standing clover and Barley and Tritical. I'll seed, fertilize and then roll that down with my ATV and look for the rain to do the rest.

I'm working my field in strips this year, each strip is about 10-15 yards wide.
Mine are going into a field with Brassica, Turnip, Rape and some other things in the strips between the peas.
So my end goal is to have a strip of peas, then a strip of Brassica mix, etc.

In about 30 days I will over-seed the entire plot with Winter Wheat and re-apply fertilizer.

(plus as a bonus when I get to my property this afternoon, I will get to see how well my Brassica mix is doing after 10 days). Fingers Crossed!

That's awesome! Planting my Austrian Peas later today! I've never planted them (at all), so I'm hoping to keep track of how yours are doing in comparison. We have rain the forecast for tomorrow. I'm using T&M for planting into some strips of standing clover and Barley and Tritical. I'll seed, fertilize and then roll that down with my ATV and look for the rain to do the rest.

I'm working my field in strips this year, each strip is about 10-15 yards wide.
Mine are going into a field with Brassica, Turnip, Rape and some other things in the strips between the peas.
So my end goal is to have a strip of peas, then a strip of Brassica mix, etc.

In about 30 days I will over-seed the entire plot with Winter Wheat and re-apply fertilizer.

(plus as a bonus when I get to my property this afternoon, I will get to see how well my Brassica mix is doing after 10 days). Fingers Crossed!

What part of the country are you in? I am in Western PA.

My plan is if they are getting hammered come mid-Sept then I will overseed some winter wheat or rye in. One thing that helps is I am near some ag so that takes off some of the browse pressure.

What part of the country are you in? I am in Western PA.

My plan is if they are getting hammered come mid-Sept then I will overseed some winter wheat or rye in. One thing that helps is I am near some ag so that takes off some of the browse pressure.

If you didn't plant a companion crop... my bet is that you won't see any production in mid-sept, they will be gone ... nobody plants peas on their own for mass forage production ... :emoji_wink:

Overseed with some oats and clover now, and then labor day with some wheat and rye.

Or put up an electric fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using them in the LC mix in NE MO, with fairly high deer numbers. I quit and decided to use left over soybeans for attraction until the frost when I would look and never find a pea plant, or very few. As the most expensive component of the mix, I didn't feel like it was worth the money in my situation.

I'm hoping that the clover that is already there will suffice. This is the alternate strip that I had moved 10 days prior. The clover seems to be rebounding quickly.
Screenshot_20190807-081455_Gallery.jpg

I'm wondering what you guys think (if this existing will work as a companion) as I didn't mow the strips where I planted the peas, I just used my ATV to roll it down? Otherwise, I'll drop in some oats in 2 weeks.

This is what the rolled sections look like:
Screenshot_20190807-082204_Gallery.jpg

Larger seeds might not work too well with that much thatch. If it were me I'd turnips,winter rye,clover and a little chicory. If you are happy with the amount of clover you already have then add turnips,rye,and chicory. Chicory won't do much of anything this year but will be there in the spring with your clover.Peas and beans are both great but you need a few acres of them to have a chance. Large seeds work best if you can get them covered.

Larger seeds might not work too well with that much thatch. If it were me I'd turnips,winter rye,clover and a little chicory. If you are happy with the amount of clover you already have then add turnips,rye,and chicory. Chicory won't do much of anything this year but will be there in the spring with your clover.Peas and beans are both great but you need a few acres of them to have a chance. Large seeds work best if you can get them covered.
Thanks - I know that I skimmed over what I meant by "Brassica mix", it has Purple Top Turnips, Pasja Hybrid Brassica, GroundHog Radish and Dwarf Essex Rape.

I'll update with pics in a couple of weeks to keep everyone posted on if these will grow via T&M in this way.

I may go back in 2 weeks and add oats to the strips with the peas as mentioned above. Then in mid-September I'll over-seed the entire plot in Winter Rye. In total it's about a 2 acre plot but it's not being heavily hit right now. I'm hoping that everything has time to get going before the "word gets out in the woods".

My only experience with AWP was in a mix like others have mentioned. They are a bigger seed (bigger than radish but not the size of soybeans). Mine did fine and I am sure the deer found some of them. I do know...they didn't find them all as the following spring they grew and flowered. So I think your deer density may have a big impact on your results (I have few deer and lots of ag to spread them out as well). I would certainly put out an exclusion cage to monitor progress.
1565195267375.png

I put mine in with some oats. Last year, the turkeys simply hammered them. I mostly ended up with a field of turkey poop and feathers.