Austrian Winter Peas in Brassica

Mike

A good 3 year old buck
I am planning on planting Dwarf Essex rape, Groundhog Radish and Austrian Winter Pea the middle of August in Michigan's Upper Penninsula. I have never planted the Peas before so my question to you guys is "Will the Brassica shade out the peas"?

I am planning on planting Dwarf Essex rape, Groundhog Radish and Austrian Winter Pea the middle of August in Michigan's Upper Penninsula. I have never planted the Peas before so my question to you guys is "Will the Brassica shade out the peas"?
How big is your plot? I don't know for sure on the shading of the peas by the brassicas but I might split the plot and plant brassicas in part and rye. oats and peas in the other part. If not try it and report back on how it worked out. Good luck!

I think unless you have a very big plot, they will keep the peas nipped down to the ground.

Planted 2 acres of them 2 years ago with brassicas. Small low to the ground plant, some viney ness, but no real mass.

Deer clipped them off with no results.

Neighbor farmer just did 10 acres of oats and peas ... lots of mass 2"-3" ... yes, the brassicas will out compete ... I would add red clover to your mix over peas. Will green up this fall and in the sprind. Over seed with WR in early september ...