Article for those worried about hack/girdle and squirt killing other trees

I use a ketchup bottle to put in girdle cut. Zero herbicide gets on the ground.

Killed about 1000 sweetgum this week. Some thoughts.

Small battery chainsaw best. I use DeWalt 12”. Works like a champ.

Buy at least two 12-15ah batteries. Not cheap but buy the knockoff ones from Amazon. I have one 15ah DeWalt and two 12ah generic. DeWalt def runs longer but for 3 times the price, buy 3 of the cheaper ones.
POWITEC 12.0Ah 20V/60V Battery Replace for Dewalt 60V Battery DCB609 DCB606 DCB612 Compatible with Dewalt 20V/60V MAX Cordless Power Tools Lithium-ion Battery https://a.co/d/1GWYIBN

I had some tordon rtu so I used it some. But the real benefit is the bottles. I would then fill 6 at a time with the Craig Harper 50 triclopyr 3, 40 water, 10 imazapyr. Then I used a shotgun shell holder on belt to always have a bottle on me and would change squirt top onto new bottle when needed, 1 minute and I was moving again. 2 batteries lasted me all day. Literally 100’s of girdles and felling of small 2-4” trees.

Each bottle comes with its on squirt top (basically ketchup bottle without leaking unless you squeeze) so will have plenty of tips if you lose one or gets clogged. 100 bucks for 5 bottles and you can use the tordon till it runs out.

Craig Harper has proven over and over the imazapyr not a risk to surrounding trees if done correctly. But if super worried just use double girdle with no herbicide if near a protected oak. I did that once or twice if oak was growing up against a sweetgum.

Buy at least two 12-15ah batteries. Not cheap but buy the knockoff ones from Amazon. I have one 15ah DeWalt and two 12ah generic. DeWalt def runs longer but for 3 times the price, buy 3 of the cheaper ones.
POWITEC 12.0Ah 20V/60V Battery Replace for Dewalt 60V Battery DCB609 DCB606 DCB612 Compatible with Dewalt 20V/60V MAX Cordless Power Tools Lithium-ion Battery https://a.co/d/1GWYIBN

I had some tordon rtu so I used it some. But the real benefit is the bottles. I would then fill 6 at a time with the Craig Harper 50 triclopyr 3, 40 water, 10 imazapyr. Then I used a shotgun shell holder on belt to always have a bottle on me and would change squirt top onto new bottle when needed, 1 minute and I was moving again. 2 batteries lasted me all day. Literally 100’s of girdles and felling of small 2-4” trees.

Each bottle comes with its on squirt top (basically ketchup bottle without leaking unless you squeeze) so will have plenty of tips if you lose one or gets clogged. 100 bucks for 5 bottles and you can use the tordon till it runs out.

Craig Harper has proven over and over the imazapyr not a risk to surrounding trees if done correctly. But if super worried just use double girdle with no herbicide if near a protected oak. I did that once or twice if oak was growing up against a sweetgum.
nice work

I really love to kill sweet gums and china berry trees

The Tordon bottles come with tips?

So you are refilling them with the Harper cocktail?

Sounds like an efficient way to get the job done

bill

Spray pump trigger assemblies will also fit in a Tordon bottle. I like them even better than the top that Tordon gives you. The spray bottle tops do wear out or maybe the chemical is harsh on them. We keep everyone off bottles we use and are going to toss, like kitchen counter cleaner bottles, etc..

Yes. The tips make the bottle like a Gatorade bottle you use when playing sports. Only comes out when you squirt. Bottles like that aren’t cheap, so if you can get it with tordon in it for 19 dollars that’s cheap enough.

And yea, after tordon is gone I just refill will Harper cocktail. Depending on tree density I probably got like half an acre per full bottle, but I have a lot of sweetgum and Chinese privet.

James T. O’Neil, M.D.

On Nov 17, 2023, at 3:21 PM, All Things Habitat - Lets talk..... <noreply@xenforo.cloud> wrote:
TreeDaddy replied to a thread you are watching at All Things Habitat - Lets talk......

Article for those worried about hack/girdle and squirt killing other trees

omicron1792 said:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/chainsaws/7006930

https://www.seedworldusa.com/products/tordon-rtu-specialty-herbicide-1-quart

nice work

bill
Please do not reply to this message. You must visit the forum to reply.
This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Article for those worried about hack/girdle and squirt killing other trees at All Things Habitat - Lets talk..... with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.​

Spray pump trigger assemblies will also fit in a Tordon bottle. I like them even better than the top that Tordon gives you. The spray bottle tops do wear out or maybe the chemical is harsh on them. We keep everyone off bottles we use and are going to toss, like kitchen counter cleaner bottles, etc..
Same thing I was gonna say! The imazapyr gets thick and eventually clogs the spray bottle. I agree they work great when working. Eventually the squirt tops I use clog up too, but last longer than the spray.

Some people have mentioned diesel fuel. That is for basal spray to soak through the bark. With hack and squirt and girdle and squirt you don’t need any oil, only aqueous.

I’ve tried both and girdle with electric chainsaw much easier. For smaller trees or trees hard to access I make a downward cut with chainsaw like a hack and squirt and fill with chemical. Actually easier than using a hatchet to do Same thing.

I used girdle when possible because even without the chemical it has a fairly good chance to kill the tree.

Another tip ... you might check with your local, private lands, state game biologist. Mine will often get me chemical at a very reduced price since he knows I am killing invasives and junk trees with it.

I was way late on cleaning tree cages this year. USed the green otrdon RTU on some huge weeds, think it was ragweed. Cut the 4ft tall or so ragweeds, and put the Tordon on the stumps. No young B118 or M111 minded it.

Might of been a little more leary with the red (triclopyr) one. Green is picloram and 2,4 D I believe.

Really freaked out, just use straight diesel on the girdle.

Another tip. Pathway herbicide in 2 1/2gal jugs and Tordon RTU are the same. Pathway is cheaper. I've asked several chemical reps why it is called something different. Nobody knows.

nice work

bill
Not to digress, but you got my attention. Have you ever just cut a China berry trees and let it stump sprout, or hinged? At my place the deer consume China berry leaves with extremely high preference. It’s a pretty uncommon tree so not a lot of people here have noticed the same observation.

Trying to follow along here, because I have a lot of this to do. These quart bottles fit in a shotgun shell holder??

Yes. I use something like this.

Allen Company Shotgun Shell Pouch, Sporting Shotgun Shell Bag - Clay, Trap or Skeet Shooting Holder for Shotgun Shells - Soft Canvas or Hard Molded Options: Tan or Olive Drab
https://a.co/d/0PlvG2R

Yes. I use something like this.

Allen Company Shotgun Shell Pouch, Sporting Shotgun Shell Bag - Clay, Trap or Skeet Shooting Holder for Shotgun Shells - Soft Canvas or Hard Molded Options: Tan or Olive Drab
https://a.co/d/0PlvG2R
Gotcha. Haha. I was thinking a bandolier — hence my confusion.

I guess I have become "that guy." Generally, your statement that, "It's safe" will probably fall differently for different people. Thankfully, you provided a link to the research authors' article. I fast-read it and come away with the thought(s) that the practice is not without some risk. Those risks may be negligible when used properly. How often that happens in practice is another sword.

I guess I am "that guy" because, as is often the case, many take a complicated well controlled research investigation and interpret the results incorrectly and/or apply the practice differently than what's intended. I think this is how science and research get twisted by many, especially news media who have little understanding of the details and are concerned only with generating a splashy headline.

Tordon you mention in a later post. Tordon was developed as a ground applied herbicide for the wide area control of invasive brushy species and is designed to move in a somewhat limited way thru the soil. The stump control procedure when used properly is probably safe enough. However, there are bigger risks worth considering.

After all of that my general statement is, "Be cautious and be right." With use of any herbicide there are risks. I'm not intending to start a debate, only wanting to add that when it comes to use of pesticides nothing is safe. Used properly such things can be safer than they might be if used without ample consideration.

I guess I have become "that guy." Generally, your statement that, "It's safe" will probably fall differently for different people. Thankfully, you provided a link to the research authors' article. I fast-read it and come away with the thought(s) that the practice is not without some risk. Those risks may be negligible when used properly. How often that happens in practice is another sword.

I guess I am "that guy" because, as is often the case, many take a complicated well controlled research investigation and interpret the results incorrectly and/or apply the practice differently than what's intended. I think this is how science and research get twisted by many, especially news media who have little understanding of the details and are concerned only with generating a splashy headline.

Tordon you mention in a later post. Tordon was developed as a ground applied herbicide for the wide area control of invasive brushy species and is designed to move in a somewhat limited way thru the soil. The stump control procedure when used properly is probably safe enough. However, there are bigger risks worth considering.

After all of that my general statement is, "Be cautious and be right." With use of any herbicide there are risks. I'm not intending to start a debate, only wanting to add that when it comes to use of pesticides nothing is safe. Used properly such things can be safer than they might be if used without ample consideration.
Those papers were by Craig Harper, and explicitly for individuals doing FSI work. So most of what you say in post above doesn’t apply here. This was specifically for people doing exactly what we want to do here….improve mast producing and wildlife trees on our property.

When it comes to individuals doing habitat work, I’ll stick with Craig Harper. You should to.

Also, he has a pamphlet for specifically using this with individuals just like us. No using a scientific paper incorrectly here.

Farmer. There is a lot to debate. This ain’t one of them.