All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these scions any good....

tinytim

5 year old buck +
As some of you know, I am going to be attempting to graft some apples. I had ordered a bunch of scions earlier in the winter and they have arrived. My excitement was short lived when I opened the package and found what you see below. Are they any good? Any chance of success? I contacted the vendor who said to go ahead and graft them, he says he grafts scions that have broke each year with good success. That is contrary to everything that I have read and I do not want to waste rootstock. Any thoughts would be appreciated.DSCN0155.JPG DSCN0156.JPG DSCN0161.JPG DSCN0166.JPG DSCN0167.JPG

Not ideal, but you should be ok if you graft them up very soon.

Thanks TC, I have not given up hope, just waiting for my rootstocks to come in and I intend to graft them immediately. I was flipping through our municipal recreation guide and the first class in the gardening section was, "Learn how to graft your own apple trees"!!!! So needless to say I have signed myself up, people were also encouraged at call the fellow putting it on with ?'s and instructions for saving scion from anything they would like to propagate. Needless to say, I called him, I am going to meet with him some evening this week and get some pointers, he has grafting knives for sale, and he has a fridge full of scion wood from his orchard, that he will gladly share. POOF, my mind was blown, all this within 20 mins from my house, I am very encouraged. He has offered: Belle, Bramley's Seedling, Calle D'hiver, Wolf River, Pink Pearl, Tango Wine, Strawberry Pippen, Late Orange. As well as a bunch of French apple varieties that I can't spell, or say correctly, but he did say one was a small, sweet, red apple that ripens late and hangs into Dec here. Sounds good to me!

Always helpful to have a local experienced person that you can learn from. Good luck!