All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are plots worth it?

MN Slick

5 year old buck +
You either have the fire or you don't! My brother, a self proclaimed nutsack to the wall bowhunter, who claims hunting is his priority and what drives him doesn't think putting the effort into plots is worth it.

Here are some daylight plot pics from last year. Notice the scrape trees. All these bucks are within bow range of tree stands and all made multiple daylight visits to multiple plots except 1 buck who has arrived on our farm in late November the last 2 years.

I passed the first guy up because I thought he was 3.5 with huge potential. He was gunned down over 1/2 mile away, doh! I had the 2nd guy at 20 yds over a decoy and my damn stand creaked when I drew allowing his escape (a 40 mph wind during the day had died to nary a fart of wind that evening) double doh!!! Anyway, I told him last night that there is absolutely nothing I or anyone can say to him to light a fire in his belly if these pictures don't do it.

IMG_3523.JPG IMG_3543.JPG IMG_2799.JPG IMG_4222.JPG View attachment 77396

If pics like those don't motivate you I don't know what will!

Deer Hunter

Habitat Guy

Two different things at least as I see it!

Awesome pics, Slick!(see what I did there;):D) Some guys just cannot be reasoned with(as evidenced by some on this and other forums:rolleyes:), and in this case, to each his own. Does bro shoot bucks rivaling the ones in your photos without plotting? If so, he has no real need to spend the money and effort. Does he even desire to shoot a deer like that(dumb question, but guys like sandbur would tell you they don't care)? Again, if not, don't waste the monetary and physical resources to put plots in. Many look at this "hobby" that we enjoy and cannot see the point of such efforts and if those photos don't change someone's mind, nothing likely will. GREAT buck on the left of the 2nd pic BTW! With all those "forks" you'd think he was part mulie!

I know a guy that's got a brother like that on their property up by Boy River. Best thing to do is just facilitate some self discovery on their own. It may take a while, but eventually he'll believe it once he sees it enough. A pic of a radish in a buck's mouth helps too.

3 years ago we got serious with plots by adding average and added spring plantings rather than just fall. Since then body weights across all age classes and sex are up 10-15%. Maybe more importantly lactation rates are up right at 20% and last year was at 80%. I fail to see how improving those indicators of herd health are not important. Do I think plots will grow you mega Giants , no. But increasing the nutritional plane for your herd will help them reach more of their natural potential. Every herd is going to have its on potential and as hunters we need to understand that and be happy with the trophies we grow. The trophy in my mind is every bit as much in age as it is score.

Proof is in the pictures! Good Job Slick!

3 years ago we got serious with plots by adding average and added spring plantings rather than just fall. Since then body weights across all age classes and sex are up 10-15%. Maybe more importantly lactation rates are up right at 20% and last year was at 80%. I fail to see how improving those indicators of herd health are not important. Do I think plots will grow you mega Giants , no. But increasing the nutritional plane for your herd will help them reach more of their natural potential. Every herd is going to have its on potential and as hunters we need to understand that and be happy with the trophies we grow. The trophy in my mind is every bit as much in age as it is score.
How do you measure lactation rates?

Maybe he's dumb like Tom Sawyer. "Nope, them food plot don't make a difference, not gonna get me to help with that........as long as you wanna keep doing 'em" I have a brother like that, more related to work around the fishing shack....

I'm a little doubtful. :rolleyes: Maybe if you have me down there for an archery hunt, I might be convinced !!!!!! :D :D :D

A picture is worth a thousand words. Just keep throwing pictures at him.

SD, we cut the udder. She will be wet or dry and we record that along with weights and pulling jawbones. We keep current year spreadsheet and also long term running spreadsheet so we can watch trends in age, weights, lactation, etc.

Awesome pics, Slick!(see what I did there;):D) Some guys just cannot be reasoned with(as evidenced by some on this and other forums:rolleyes:), and in this case, to each his own. Does bro shoot bucks rivaling the ones in your photos without plotting? If so, he has no real need to spend the money and effort. Does he even desire to shoot a deer like that(dumb question, but guys like sandbur would tell you they don't care)? Again, if not, don't waste the monetary and physical resources to put plots in. Many look at this "hobby" that we enjoy and cannot see the point of such efforts and if those photos don't change someone's mind, nothing likely will. GREAT buck on the left of the 2nd pic BTW! With all those "forks" you'd think he was part mulie!

Yes, he has arrowed some good bucks. 137" in 2011......on a plot and killed a 147" on a morning hunt in 2013 about 200 yds from a plot following a doe. Here's a pic of the 147" he killed in 2013
surveying the plot a week before he arrowed it. We don't hunt on the plots very often but if the time is right we strike and try to have someone pick us up at the stand with a truck after the hunt.

2013BC1(129).JPG

Last edited:
Maybe he's dumb like Tom Sawyer. "Nope, them food plot don't make a difference, not gonna get me to help with that........as long as you wanna keep doing 'em" I have a brother like that, more related to work around the fishing shack....

NAILED IT!!!! He's brilliant really but all good things must come to an end. As Bobby Dylan so eloquently put it in 1964........."The times they are a changin".

Some guys don't know what they have until its gone. Take those plots away and he will see just how they impacted his hunting directly and indirectly! Have him hunt a private place with no work done or worse yet even public ground for a year or two.......I bet he starts to change his tune.

I had a buddy hunt another place......ONCE.....he came back pretty quickly. Turns out finding a decent place to hunt isn't as easy as it sounds. Some folks have good places naturally, I had to build mine.