Apples arrived

Ben.MN/WI

5 year old buck +
My first 4 apple trees of the year have arrived. These 4 trees are the free replacements for the trees I bought at Menards last year that died. Their first fruit tree shipment arrived yesterday and we were able to get some decent ones. These trees are the standard big box store trees that look too tall for their little pot, but we'll see if I can keep them alive by watering them more frequently.

My first 4 apple trees of the year have arrived. These 4 trees are the free replacements for the trees I bought at Menards last year that died. Their first fruit tree shipment arrived yesterday and we were able to get some decent ones. These trees are the standard big box store trees that look too tall for their little pot, but we'll see if I can keep them alive by watering them more frequently.

I bet it's cold for you as well the next few days, have to bring them in the basement where it aint so cold? What kinds did ya get?

I bet it's cold for you as well the next few days, have to bring them in the basement where it aint so cold? What kinds did ya get?
It's cold now, so I'm probably going to hold off and plant them either Sunday or Monday depending on the forecast. I'm going to keep them in my garage where it's usually around 40 degrees. The rootstock wasn't listed, but the tag said they should get 20 feet tall. The 4 trees were Honeygold, Wolf River, Snowsweet and Honeycrisp. I have a bunch of other 2 year old standard sized apple trees that I planted for specific drop dates, but I wanted to plant some semi-dwarf varieties that could produce fruit sooner. So I ended up picking up 6 last year at Menards and 4 died. I'm going to build a watering tank from a 55 gallon drum to pull behind the ATV, so I'll be able to water them more frequently this time around.

The holes are dug, the tree cages are up and the window screen is cut to length already, so it won't take long to plant these trees. I have a dozen apples coming from St. Lawrence Nursery later this spring, so these 4 will be a good warm up.