All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple trees on sale at Starkbros for $4.99 !!

montavonm

A good 3 year old buck
Hi everyone, I happened to see that some apple trees are on sale for 5 bucks on starkbros website. I have been wanting to get some trees for scion wood to eventually graft onto my seedlings. Not sure if the types are any good or if they will be okay planting in the middle of June, but I thought it was an awesome deal. Just wanted to share.

Last time I talked to starkbros they were only pickup only and that was 2 months ago.

Hm, I'm not sure... I entered shipping info, and paid 11-12$ for shipping (came out to about 8 bucks per tree after shipping) so I'm not sure what's up, I would be really disappointed if it ended up being pick up only. I'm still new to this all, today was the first time I've ever ordered from starkbros

Whoops, I had a brain fart, sorry, that was St Lawrence Nurseries I was thinkin of, my mistake!

You are all good on the Stark Brothers for shipping, not pickup only. What variety did you get that were on sale. I saw they had some good disease resistant varieties on sale, Winesap, Liberty, Enterprise, Empire etc, while not 4.99 still good deals. My concerns I would have is planting now in the middle of June, I would believe they would need some serious attention and babying for the rest of the summer, but I would defer to people with a lot more experience than me.

St Lawrence shipped 4 crabs to me in Wisconsin this spring.

What I meant was they stopped shipping after a certain date and did pick up only.

You are all good on the Stark Brothers for shipping, not pickup only. What variety did you get that were on sale. I saw they had some good disease resistant varieties on sale, Winesap, Liberty, Enterprise, Empire etc, while not 4.99 still good deals. My concerns I would have is planting now in the middle of June, I would believe they would need some serious attention and babying for the rest of the summer, but I would defer to people with a lot more experience than me.

I got Jonared, Zestar, Idared, Snappymac, and Starkrimson red. They were all 4.99 except for the jonared which was 6.99. I'm sure I will eventually need a few more varieties for pollination, and I would like to have many many trees down the road, but this was just a cheap start for $40 shipped (coudn't resist). I would imagine they will need babied throughout the summer, which shouldn't be a problem. I planted some seedlings that were hit pretty hard when I moved them outside, and I've been watching them very frequently. Anyone that has any tips for planting this time of the year are beyond welcome to share.

I also received a bunch from Starks at those great prices. Trees came in good shape (although one plum blooming and a cherry leafing out) they will make it I'm sure. I will nurse them in my garden for this year and plot them out next April. I would just plant them for now where you can water them seeing as it will be getting hot soon Apple trees weren't even pushing buds yet so they had some good cold storage. I did have to call them as they missed sending one but the lady was great and is sending it out today.