All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Tree winter Hardiness

Anyone have Dolgo winter kill?
Even trees planted the spring before the coldest winter on record (many -30’s and -40’s) had no sign of damage. I would say they are as bullet proof as they come.

Some of my Dolgo seedling roots send up a lot of suckers. Some people might not like that if they are growing trees in the yards of their homes. I'm trying to stool mine in the field though.

Bur - post #19 - That's a good question about Dolgo as a rootstock here. It's sure tough enough. Russian origins.

Chummer - Where did you get your trees on Dolgo rootstocks ??

Anyone have Dolgo winter kill?

A few days ago I was checking a local nursery (Gilby’s) website and somehow found the listing of rootstock. Standard trees were either dolgo or Columbia rootstock. This seems to be normal for trees from Bailey’s , the supplier in our area.

I couldn’t locate that listing if rootstock when I looked at the website this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bur - post #19 - That's a good question about Dolgo as a rootstock here. It's sure tough enough. Russian origins.

Chummer - Where did you get your trees on Dolgo rootstocks ??

I have planted dolgo seedlings from Chief River that have done well with no care.
My dolgo trees that are doing well are on B.118 from Cummins.

^^^^^ Our Dolgo's are grafted on Antonovka from SLN. No problems. I wouldn't mind trying a couple actual Dolgo seedlings though.

I bought a bunch of dolgo seedlings from chief river. They were only 12-18" or so and spindly, but they were pretty tough and all survived despite less than ideal care.

I bought antonovka and b118 rootstock for this spring, but I think I'll try dolgo for grafting rootstock next year.

My grafted dolgo from SLN is growing great and producing quite a bit of fruit at 5 years old. I'm hoping the seedling varieties give me a little more fruit size variety.

This Honeycrisp was loaded with apples last fall. The trunk looked fine before the polar vortex hit giving us -29F here. Now we've had some days above freezing and the outer bark is falling off in spots.

Attachments

• Honeycrisp.jpg
    Honeycrisp.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 32
The same thing is happening to a Cortland a few yards away from that Honeycrisp.

Attachments

• Cortland.jpg
    Cortland.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 29
Is the bark on the south/southwest side of the trunks?

The bark problem photos were both taken facing their southeast sides. I was just walking past in that direction to get to somewhere else and noticed these, took photos, and kept on going.

I'll guess sunscauld

This is a very interesting thread. I don't get near the winters you guys do up north and nowhere near the snow...we might get a couple days each winter with wind chills -20 to -30 and at the most a couple feet of snow.
Reading through this makes me think of the apple trees I see in the UP in November fully loaded with yellow apples that seem to be thriving. I know they get some deep snow and bad cold with the lake effect, they appear to be standard size and very common and must be really hardy every other old homestead has them. I would love to get a few scions sometime from one and graft it to M111 for down here, that rootstock seems to do best in my loamy clay.

Reading through this makes me think of the apple trees I see in the UP in November fully loaded with yellow apples that seem to be thriving. I know they get some deep snow and bad cold with the lake effect, they appear to be standard size and very common and must be really hardy every other old homestead has them.
Sound like Antonovka from your description. Or maybe Northwest Greening

Sound like Antonovka from your description. Or maybe Northwest Greening

They sure could be, it seems to be a very popular variety for the area. I need to just stop and talk to someone about them next time I'm up and see if they would send me a few cuttings, Ill just take a leap of faith give them my address and $10.

A DNR report on the WSI said a township in northern Mn had -56 on two different days this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a very interesting thread. I don't get near the winters you guys do up north and nowhere near the snow...we might get a couple days each winter with wind chills -20 to -30 and at the most a couple feet of snow.
Reading through this makes me think of the apple trees I see in the UP in November fully loaded with yellow apples that seem to be thriving. I know they get some deep snow and bad cold with the lake effect, they appear to be standard size and very common and must be really hardy every other old homestead has them. I would love to get a few scions sometime from one and graft it to M111 for down here, that rootstock seems to do best in my loamy clay.

Lake effect has a beneficial effect up north for fruit growers it actually creates a more stable warmer micro climate... When it comes to just the far north - the further north you go in wi the better the tree growing environment, apart from a small strip along the shores they do get more snow but that is only for a limited distance. That is one reason you still see apple orchards around Bayfield to Herbster and down to Washburn WI. Same goes for the UP.

Its a cut and paste quote "The Great Lakes modify the local weather and climate. Because water temperatures change more slowly than land temperatures, lake waters gain heat in summer and release heat during cooler months. This results in cooler springs, warmer falls, delayed frosts and lake effect snow."

Just as a thought to find the hardier trees you may want to go into the interior more. Either way, granted, they will have more cold hardiness than your 6a needs which is beneficial and will make great scion no matter where you get them up there. They do have hard lives up there and those that are growing are survivors.

Until superior freezes over the late fall early winter temps are usually fairly mild up there.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 31
  • map_hardiness.gif
    map_hardiness.gif
    41.4 KB · Views: 32
I checked some more trees today. The snow got pretty deep here this year. A lot of it melted away this past week, but it is still three feet deep in places. The deer could step right over some of the five foot high tree enclosures. I noticed limbs eight feet above ground level that were nipped off. The deer showed a decided browsing preference for Haralson.

As far as weather damage, my Red Delicious show a bunch of short cracks. Varieties that I could detect no weather damage on were Fuji, Golden Delicious, Northern Spy, Granny Smith, Braeburn, and Haralson. My Dolgo seedling trees varied by tree from short cracks to no cracks. I did not detect any damage to new growth on any trees. Maybe that will only become apparent later on.