All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple tree growth

Buckhunter10

5 year old buck +
Well I have grown several small orchards between the farm and the house. Well this is one behind the house the house I am just blown away by how much it has grown. This tree was planted this past March, it is a gold rush or jona-free from Stark Bros nursery.

I did have this tree in a tube for the first few months. The tree hit the top of the tube, and in order to prevent heavy cross branching I pulled the tube and caged the tree. I believe this is a GREAT way to jump start fruit tree growth.

PS: this is a semi dwarf tree

IMG_2005-2.JPG

Nice growth so far. You'll be surprised what another year or 2 will do for your tree. Keep 'em watered in this dry period.

Very good growth.
I planted a bunch of apple and pear this spring too from Cummins, Northern Whitetail Crab and TSC and they have grown well also. Some were just 3' buggy whips this spring and have branched out nice and grown tall and others were bigger 7'-8' to start with and have gotten thicker and taller.
It has been very dry here and the trees have needed extra water the last month or so but have still been very impressive.

Very good growth.
I planted a bunch of apple and pear this spring too from Cummins, Northern Whitetail Crab and TSC and they have grown well also. Some were just 3' buggy whips this spring and have branched out nice and grown tall and others were bigger 7'-8' to start with and have gotten thicker and taller.
It has been very dry here and the trees have needed extra water the last month or so but have still been very impressive.

Yes I am shocked how fast these trees have grown. I planted probably close to 25 fruit trees in past couple years. None have done as well as this mini orchard. I can't wait to add another several trees to it this fall/winter!

I actually tied a few of them today to make sure they grow straight. I also took a few limbs and tied them to the cage to start the horizontal branch development. I have never don't this before, so I hope it works!