Apple tree borers

MA VT Flatlander

5 year old buck +
Lost a liberty I planted in 2013 at my Vermont property. It did not look good last year. Part of the central leader was dead last spring I thought it was winter kill on the limb tips. But this year it looked worse I removed the screen from the trunk, and spotted sawdust like frass on the bottom by the graft union. The tree broke right off there. It was completely dead. There was a very large larve inside below the graft at ground level.

Apple borers are the bane of my apple trees' existence. I have lost many 8, 9, 10 year old apples because I was not diligent in looking for borers. Now that I know what to look for, I feel I can keep on top of them. From mid-May to end of June June I literally walk my land and check every young apple every day, maybe every other day. I bring a piece if wire and my Leatherman and if I find any sign of borers I cut and dig into the tree with extreme prejudice! I paint up the wound first with Tree-Kote and then a day later with white-wash and normally that will do the trick.

Oh my, I'd be so flipping mad. I know its nature and the chance you take by planting something but my goodness, the horror!