All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple rootstock leftovers?

Neahawg

5 year old buck +
Anyone ever shoved the tops of their rootstock in the ground after grafting? Merle saw it on a thread somewhere and we tried it and they have leafed out and some are even growing.

My question is if anyone has ever done this how long typically until you know they have rooted.

Many apples don't propagate well from hardwood cutting. Some do root though so it could be worth trying. I would expect most to leaf out but not root so they will eventually die. Rooting hormone and some time in warm moist soil/medium before the top leafs out is generally recommended

As for when it is rooted, not sure. If still alive in August, I would tbud them.

Yeah I figured it would be iffy, I got three that are actually growing and I did use root hormone powder. But I was curious how it would go.

Here are my three best that I did this with three weeks ago this Wednesday
61080624a35524136b7fa9214596e921.jpg
fc4e8bbf85356dd0e068527129ca52bc.jpg
3993d97c9acb0f8243ba411d6973701d.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If they have pushed that much new growth (green limbs with leaves) they have some roots. How many roots would be the ?

My best one is green enough. We'll see if it has staying power.
6dae0715aef7c4775c62de5914e33074.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

That is really interesting. I'd be curious if these trees actually develop roots, or just have a burst and die. Wish I had seen this before I tossed mine.

I read somewhere last year where a man said he get a few to root every year so I told Chuck let's shove the tops in the ground and see what they do. It wasn't like we'd lose anything and we may get a free rootstock or two.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Just curious as to the type of rootstock used here

Mine were all anatovonka merles are a combination of anatovonka and b118

Did any of them have bur knots that was placed in the ground?

No they I cut the tops of my rootstocks, scuffed up 2-3 inches on the bottom, dipped them in root hormone powder, shoved them in the ground a little over three weeks ago now.

Update on some of the tops we stuck in the ground. I think all total we have 5 that are looking good out of roughly 50. However all we did was shove them in the ground so not a lot effort involved and I believe will get 5 freebies.
1b32069b073612b0ece2e332dee4fe49.jpg
c66f278dfa5ff5bf42ca207a4ee791bc.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I tried one. It leafed out and grew for about a month before it shriveled up and died. No rooting happened on it

Nice!

way cool

bill