Anyone tried sequin?

As I said further up in this thread I had most of my 1 year old AC that I planted this year leaf out and then die out.

Should I just yank these when order more or is there any chance they may leaf out next year?

Sounds like they are bare root trees. If so, I'd say chances are low of them coming back. I would scratch test them near the soil line and see if they are still green. If not, from your description, I doubt that the root system was established enough to send up new shoots.

I find ACs to be a bit more sensitive than chestnuts but I've had pretty good success once I got the watering right. With my rootmaker grown trees, by the time I plant them in the field, they have a well developed fibrous root system. Once in the field, they do well for me, but they grow natively in my soils and climate so that is not surprising. I'm not sure what to tell you about bare root ACs.

Most of the ACs I started this year are doing pretty well on my deck. They are all in 1 gal RB2s. I'm thinking of transplanting them to 3 gal in the middle of this summer and then overwintering them and keeping them for a second year in the 3 gals then planting them the following fall. If things go well, I probably won't have room to overwinter all of them in my cold room.

Since you are in central VA in the general vicinity of my farm, perhaps I'll have leftovers I can link you up with this fall. Of course, nothing is guaranteed with seedlings. As soon as I think things are doing well, something goes wrong. But for now, knock on wood, things are looking promising that I'll have more than I can handle.

Thanks,

Jack

That would be great. I would appreciate it.

I did the scratch test on a couple this weekend and had mixed results a couple still have some green near the soil but most were hardening up and just brown. I didn’t figure they would resprout but it was worth it just to confirm.

Interesting point you made about sun scald. I noticed that the plants on my field edge that received full sun majority of the day have all died back. The only survival is probably 50/50. I may have to plant a little further back to he

I did the scratch test on a couple this weekend and had mixed results a couple still have some green near the soil but most were hardening up and just brown. I didn’t figure they would resprout but it was worth it just to confirm.

Interesting point you made about sun scald. I noticed that the plants on my field edge that received full sun majority of the day have all died back. The only survival is probably 50/50. I may have to plant a little further back to he

I'm not sure that is sun scald. I've never seen significant sun scald on any of my trees in our area that developed their leaves naturally. All of the issues I've had with sun scald come in when a containerized plant develops leaves under artificial light and is too quickly moved into sunlight and occasionally, to a lesser degree, when a containerized plant leafs out in the shade and grows there for a while and then is moved directly into direct sun.

I would guess the trees on your field edge may be subject to a larger number of factors than just full sun.

Thanks,

Jack

PM me this fall and remind me.