An Unpleasant Surprise

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Cochins_apple_tree_broken_suntan_015.jpg
My Golden Hornet Crab from Cummins planted in 2014 broke off at the graft yesterday in moderate winds. On 202 rootstock.
Cochins_apple_tree_broken_suntan_013.jpg

Well, that "blankedy" sucks! Are you going to let the root system sprout up to re graft on next year or change out the root stock?

that stinks, bad union, I had that happen unloading sugar maples from a tractor trailer. got it on the ground, went to straighten it up and snap, just like your crab, cracked off right at the graft. this was a 3 inch cal tree.

Looked like a good rootstock

Attachments

• roots.png
    roots.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 24
Sorry to see that Grey. It's a bummer when you have one growing well & it croaks from one thing or another. I don't think you'll be running low on trees though !!

That's a punch in the gut, looks like he was pushing some good growth.

Is that borer damage at the break?

I'm wondering about that too. Are we supposed to be checking our trees regularly for them?

What root stock? I have heard that some of the Geneva series have issues, and really should be staked for life.

What root stock? I have heard that some of the Geneva series have issues, and really should be staked for life.
G202 rootstock. I have 12-15 more trees on this rootstock that are 4 years old. Fingers crossed that this was just a freak mishap.

G202 rootstock. I have 12-15 more trees on this rootstock that are 4 years old. Fingers crossed that this was just a freak mishap.
I would personally try to stake those trees. Not convenient but better than losing a tree.

Geez... I never heard of anything like that happening untill now. Sorry about that grey. We have such high hopes for our trees, so it's a bitch when we loose one, no matter what the cause. I especially regrete you loosing a tree because you're so good at reporting how they are doing. I don't think it would hurt to make Cummins aware of what happened here, for everyones benefit. I'm not sure they will replace it, but it is useful information for them to have too.

That really sucks! :(

I have quite a few young trees on G222 which is about the same size as G202 per the chart. I lost one to ambrosia beetle borers this spring. The rest of my G222 are ok but relatively slow growers. I think I only have one staked, a Wickson I got from Cummins that wanted to lean. G222 does sucker quite a bit so I would not use more of it. I also have a Redfree on G30 and Williams Pride on G890. Both have been good bearers, trees I bought from Cummins. Both are much beefier than the same age G222 trees. Both are staked and have produced good crops from the 2nd year in the ground.

For my own grafting, I'll probably use a few more G.890. It is listed as the largest Geneva and available from Cummins. Not much apple grafting in my near future.

I had a macintosh due that from an apple borer. Same size tree as yours but it had begun to die, the leaves had started to shrivel. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it until a wind storm broke it off and I could see where the borer was in the tree. It was only a couple weeks after I noticed the tree was in trouble.

I bought a half dozen Golden Hornets on MM111 from Wafler Nursery last year. Someone there said they were not great wildlife trees and the grafts would be "brittle". I wasn't quite sure what that meant. One of the other guys who bought the same trees posted that here, I will have to look for the thread. Is it something with the GH crabapple? Trees I have are hardly putting on any new growth and are still not much more than a well leafed 3 foot whip, hoping they turn into something useful. Whatever the cause for your tree there is nothing worse than getting several years into a tree to have something go wrong.

My Golden Hornet on dolgo rootstock is doing well. One limb died back this winter at -34. Norland lost one limb also and s few other trees. In general I have more crabs this year than larger apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that sucks!