Amish Cabin

kl9

5 year old buck +
I'm going to start my search for an amish cabin within the next few weeks and I was hoping to get some advice on the dos/don't and any helpful tips as well when searching. I am thinking something in the neighborhood of 14'x30' with a loft on each end. Electrical outlets and lighting will be included. I don't need running water but will likely have a sink with the necessary piping to be able to run water through it. Maybe a small room for a decomposable toilet... I have a buddy with something like this and it seems to be a lot better than walking outside to a portable when it is super cold out. Insulated roof and the whole building set up to where I can run a generator/solar panels on it.

Any suggestions/input is greatly appreciated.

I'm wanting to do something similar in a few years, I like the Amish cabins too. Looking at half loft with kitchen maybe two small bedrooms and definitely a huge front porch. Where I want to put mine is fairly close to the road so I'm looking at electricity and digging a well too...got to have it "civilized" for the wives.
My plan is to select cut in our two woods to offset some of the cost and to open up the canopy for some new growth....win-win.

Reactions: kl9
I forgot to mention front porch... that is high on my priority list as well.

Years ago I was in a small group that had a remote cabin. Our best investment was a shower house.
55 gallon drum in the rafters. Gas transfer pump to fill it. Gravity feed to a propane RV hot water heater. We used a squeeze handle to get the water to flow. So it wasn't constantly running.

What a differance that made after a week.

I have always wanted one of these cabins. This company has so many styles to choose from. They ship them all across the US.
http://trophyamishcabins.com/

They can get quite expensive for what you get. Before you buy check out the pricing on smaller manufactured homes, you may be surprised. You could even get a used one. And having fully functional living quarters for you and the family or other guests is more than just convenient.

They can get quite expensive for what you get. Before you buy check out the pricing on smaller manufactured homes, you may be surprised. You could even get a used one. And having fully functional living quarters for you and the family or other guests is more than just convenient.

Will do! I've gotten a few estimates and it isn't too bad... Yet. Optional stuff is a game changer though.

I'm going to start my search for an amish cabin within the next few weeks and I was hoping to get some advice on the dos/don't and any helpful tips as well when searching. I am thinking something in the neighborhood of 14'x30' with a loft on each end. Electrical outlets and lighting will be included. I don't need running water but will likely have a sink with the necessary piping to be able to run water through it. Maybe a small room for a decomposable toilet... I have a buddy with something like this and it seems to be a lot better than walking outside to a portable when it is super cold out. Insulated roof and the whole building set up to where I can run a generator/solar panels on it.

Any suggestions/input is greatly appreciated.

I have bought & sold a number of recreational properties, and tried to build some type of structure on all of them. Years ago i went cheap, now I go on experience.

If your property is a secondary place, where you only visit occasionally, spend more on low maintenance, weather proof, sealed exterior, and rodent proof.

If it were me, get a quote on a metal pole barn with a cement foundation. Have PVC pipes laid in the floor for plumbing & sewer. You don't have to connect; however, they will add to tremendous resale value.

Make it at least 20' x 30' in size and you can put a living area/bunk room on one end. You can add a wood buring stove wich will heat the plave and a propone tank for a stove, refrigerator, or wall heater.

You could probably do this for < $30k and finish the inside work yourself. Key is you can lock this place tight, store all your equipmen
t, have a small but nice "heated" bunk house, and add value to the property with a real structure.

I haven't built one yet but I tend to be on the same page as spud. I've been looking at this site lately.

http://midwesternbuildings.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pole barn with sleeping quarters sounds like an excellent idea IF acceptable in your area. I thought I had heard that some townships in WI were coming down on them.

Pole barn with sleeping quarters sounds like an excellent idea IF acceptable in your area. I thought I had heard that some townships in WI were coming down on them.
I have heard the same thing

I have heard the same thing

If you build it right, it's just a pole barn with electricity. The assessor called every couple of years wanting to visit us and we just kept telling him we live 2 hours away and we would be happy to meet with him on Saturday. He never followed through with a meeting.

Ours was a 67' x 36' pole barn with a 27' x 36' heated "workshop" that had water and a toilet. We had the contractor frame, wire, & plumb the inside living area and we finished the rest. As you can see below there was a workbench, cabinets to store tools, a storage area for old furniture and appliances.

Just a storage shed with a little workshop ... ;)
bulding - kit.jpg bulding - Liv room.jpg

Beautiful looking "workshop" ;)

Not sure how accessible your ground is, but we had a old job site trailer hauled in, put a deck on it and some metal skirting around the bottom, worked well. I've seen them 12 to 14' wide and anywhere from 30-45' long, most are finished on the inside and have some sort of heating/cooling unit on them, we just heated ours with a wall mount lp heater, also finished off a little room with a shower.

Tree Spud thank you for the suggestion and pics. I do agree that is a good idea. In fact, we are having a large shed built at the moment and it will be set up such that we can finish out a back portion as a living quarters. However, I just really gravitate to the feel of a log cabin which is why I am considering an amish cabin.

Your place looks great!

Beautiful looking "workshop" ;)

Thanks! Increased comfort for the wife = increased time for me to hunt ... :)

Tree Spud thank you for the suggestion and pics. I do agree that is a good idea. In fact, we are having a large shed built at the moment and it will be set up such that we can finish out a back portion as a living quarters. However, I just really gravitate to the feel of a log cabin which is why I am considering an amish cabin.

Your place looks great!

Sounds like you got it covered, and yes, having the right feel to aid in relaxation is important.

good luck with your project.

I bought a 14x52 older mobile home for my deer hunting headquarters. I purchased it locally so the delivery and set up costs were minimal. The assessor can not charge me very much for a mobile home made in 1970. It provides all the amenities I need at deer camp: kitchen, full bathroom, LP furnace, hot and cold running water, washer and dryer and sleeping areas. With the money I did not spend on a fancy cabin, I put in a 6 inch rotary drilled well, a 400 amp buried electric service and a regular septic system that is big enough for a four bedroom house. I don't spend more than 15-20 overnights at this place per year. Maintenance is minimal. It is not the Taj Mahal but I am very happy with it and this marks the 25th year it has been on my land. The well, septic system and electric service are the items that will be the selling points when it is finally time to part with my land.
It made sense for me, your experience and expectations might differ.

If you build it right, it's just a pole barn with electricity. The assessor called every couple of years wanting to visit us and we just kept telling him we live 2 hours away and we would be happy to meet with him on Saturday. He never followed through with a meeting.

Ours was a 67' x 36' pole barn with a 27' x 36' heated "workshop" that had water and a toilet. We had the contractor frame, wire, & plumb the inside living area and we finished the rest. As you can see below there was a workbench, cabinets to store tools, a storage area for old furniture and appliances.

Just a storage shed with a little workshop ... ;)
View attachment 11123 View attachment 11124

Very nice Tree Spud.

I'm currently waiting on a bid to build something very similar. We're pricing a 72' x 36' pole with 36' x 36' being heated.