Age and possible score

Steven Tolly

5 year old buck +
Hey everyone we have a new piece of ground this year and we are really wanting to start harvesting some older bucks and letting the younger ones go another year or two. So I am trying to get better at judging age and size through photos. Any help would be great.

Big Body makes the legs look small. I guess 4.5

I dont think the buck in the first two pictures is the same as the buck in the last picture. First buck 5.5 yo and probably low 140s. 2nd buck I think the crab claw on the left beam would be visible if it was the same as #1. Cant tell you about age from the pictures but would guess upper 140s maybe 150.

I think TC is correct! 2 different bucks, good call!

Yes Sorry they are two different bucks. The first one we call Crab Claw. He is in the first two pictures and the second one is a wide 8 we only have a couple of pictures of him no side view.
I thought the top buck was an older one based on his breast bone or brisket area. Thanks for the replies keep them coming. Bottom buck is called Coors for now.

I'll say both are 4.5yr olds. I think both will score about the same in the 130's.

So the next question is at 4.5 will the get bigger next year or are they ones we should look at thinning out. We have tons of buck pictures on this property, but these are the biggest two so far. Although we have what we think is 2.5 8 pt that looks great already so we have already decided to let him go if we get a shot. Just hoping to see him again next year.

I agree with MO on the first buck, 4.5. I won't venture a guess on the straight on angle.

I will answer this the same way I answer all age related questions

After raising deer for 15 years I will say this.. In the summer it is extremely hard to age a deer based on body features.. Their bodies will go through a drastic change once they get their winter coat and the rut... I have a 9 year old doe and a 7 year old doe that people think are 2 and 3 year olds lol... So hard to tell..

As far as management goes if you really want to make sure you want to shoot mature deer? Instead of worrying or judging how old they are by appearance of body how about you not shoot a buck that you think is under 160 class or maybe 150? Cuz if you can pass up a "3 year old" 160 class you are a heck of a lot better man than most and should probably have your own TV show haha 98% of deer over 160 are going to be 4.5 + age... Nothing drives me more nutts than someone who shoots a small racked buck JUST because they "thought" it looked old enough.. Trying to talk themselves into shooting it.. Granted it might have been older but if you have to justify its small rack by saying you think it was old is just caving into lack of patients haha shoot it because you are proud of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk