All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice wanted

Jeff23

5 year old buck +
I'm taking a break from following the "Golden Rule" thread to seek some advice.
I recently had some equipment stolen from my work truck, with the most important items being a Stihl saw and a Stihl leafblower. I filed a police report, but figured I'd never see them again so I went and bought replacements. The theft took place on September 21.
Fast-forward to Thursday. I was working with a friend of mine, and a guy was working with us that also sometimes works for me, so I know him fairly well (let's call him Ted.) Ted tells me about a friend of his who just bought a used Stihl saw the same model I had stolen. He said he checked it and it wasn't mine since the handle wasn't broken. I told him my handle wasn't broken, and it could be mine. I asked him to go back and jot the serial number down so I could figure out how to handle it. He went back, and without the new "owner" knowing snapped a pic of the serial number and texted it to me- it's my saw. Now...Ted knows it's my saw, but nobody else involved knows. Ted knows not only who has it now, but also who sold it to him. Here's my plan: Ted and I will go to the new "owners" home, and I will ask to see the saw and check the serial. He says no, I call the fuzz and get my saw back. He says yes, I get my saw back. I will then try to go to the guy who sold it and see if I can make him squirm a bit (;)) and try to get the rest back.
Sound like a plan? I'm trying not to turn Ted into a narc, as he made this possible.

Sounds good except going to the guy who sold it to him. He's going to say he got from a transient. Doesn't know his name etc.

Once you go to the guy who has it and find out it's yours call the cops.

Thanks, Bill. That's the part I'm conflicted about. It's possible (but not likely), that he actually isn't the one who stole it, so I thought I may be able to offer the bait of not going to the cops as leverage to get the rest of my stuff back. Honestly, getting the saw back is better than I had hoped for, so maybe I should just be happy about that?? I know this: I am a very easy-going guy, but if the guy tries to get back at Ted for this, he will wish he hadn't.

I would go to the guy that stole it and say "Get In My Truck, We are going to get my saw back" . If he won't, he is guilty, knock his fricken teeth out! If he gets in your truck, go get your saw and have him explain to the guy that bought it what a POS he was. Then take him home and Knock his Teeth out!

Just what I would do, but that's just me!

I would go to the police and say this dude has my saw, I have a photo of the SN plate taken by an associate who knows the guy. They'll get a warrant and put the pressure on the current 'holder' who'll sing like a canary and look like a narc. :)

Or they'll say they need a search warrant and there's not enough evidence. It's happened.

You have a witness who's seen one of the items stolen in that person's possession. I say they'll get a warrant. They don't want the guy holding it anyway, they want who sold it to him because there's probably a lot more stuff hiding where that came from.

Do you know when the guy will be working with the saw? Go and take it back when he sets it down. Tell him to call the cops on you if he wants.

Talked to a cop buddy and he said you'd need a sworn statement from the guy who saw the equipment in the other dudes possession in order to get the warrant.

Cops showing up could make him sing without getting searched too.

Revenge theft doesn't usually end well. Just ask OJ! :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_robbery_case

Ask OJ and he will tell you that you are better off murdering the people!:confused:

Ask OJ and he will tell you that you are better off murdering the people!:confused:

Touche! :D

You already filed a police report when the theft took place. Contact them with the information you now have. They will be very interested. Clearly whoever "hit" your work truck has hit many others before and probably after.

What bueller said.

Take Mo with you.....and call the guy's dentist.

Actually......I'd get the cops involved ASAP.

Ok.. let's keep this simple.

1. Please don't ever use the term NARC. Narc is slang for a Narcotics officer who people feel "squeal" on their "friends". No, they are keeping that crap away from my children, and they are Law Enforcement officers who are doing a very difficult job.

2. Ted knows of someone in possession of stolen merchandise and he is a material witness.

3. Call the police report your findings and the let the detectives handle it from there.

4. If Ted is friends with someone with knowingly purchased stolen merchandise. Ted would not be allowed in my home or he would not be my friend.

5. Ted needs to have a backbone and do what is right.

6. Don't walk over to his house. There is nothing to gain from this. If you do, you are putting yourself at risk and your family. Call the police let them handle it.

Ok.. let's keep this simple.

1. Please don't ever use the term NARC. Narc is slang for a Narcotics officer who people feel "squeal" on their "friends". No, they are keeping that crap away from my children, and they are Law Enforcement officers who are doing a very difficult job.

That may be the origin of it, but it's common use is in-line with how it's being used here.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=narc

maybe used here and there. But I feel it's derogatory and really devalues the men and women who perform that job everyday keeping that crap out of the hands of my kids. Anytime I hear it used I always stop people in their tracks.

I will respond to a couple things and give an update. First of all, I don't mean to offend anyone with the slang usage of "narc", but it was quite clear what I meant with the context and common usage... agree to disagree. Secondly, Ted did what was right and went out on a limb he didn't have to in order to do what was right. Also, his friend was not "knowingly" in possession of stolen property until I informed him he was.
Here is what happened: I decided to stick with the first part of my plan and see what happened. I went to the buyer and informed him what happened. I showed him the serial number proof, and he immediately told me to take the saw back. He was very nice and understanding. I offered to give the buyer a little cash to "grease the wheels", but he refused. He seemed genuinely glad I got my saw back once he found out what happened. After some discussion, he offered to go back to the seller to try to recover my leaf blower (the other "big ticket item" that was stolen), as he felt he could get it if the thief still had it. Once he takes that step, I will contact authorities. The thief is somewhat transient in that he stays with a couple friends and doesn't have a true permanent residence, so if I involved the state police immediately, the chances of them finding it would be slim to none. The story has not yet ended, but I appreciate all the helpful advice. I knew I would get some different lines of thinking and opinions here, and they helped me sort through potential outcomes and scenarios.
I will update again, hopefully with more good news.

Last edited:
Glad you got your stuff back but don't be shocked when the police don't exactly "jump" on the case after you tell them you had information and acted on it before providing them with it.