Adjusting Bow Draw Weight!

M

MoBuckChaser

After tearing up my shoulder, and it not healing, I need to crank down the draw pull on my Mathews DXT! Other than turning each allen screw the same amount on each limb, is there anything else a guy needs to do? I want to try and go from 65 down to 55. How many turns do you think? I have no scale here.

My bow says 70/29, can it go down to 55lbs from a max of 70lbs?

Take it to an archery shop. Let the pros do it for a few bucks and you won't have to sweat anything.

Sounds like now is as good of a time as ever for a new bow :)

Take it to an archery shop. Let the pros do it for a few bucks and you won't have to sweat anything.

Your probably right whip......

But being a farmer we are used to fixing everything with a rock and barbed wire, turning it a few cranks should not warrant a 30 mile drive to the bow shop I figured.

It should be around 3lb per full turn on your allen screw.

It isn't as bad with the single cam bows we have now, as they are somewhat more forgiving of misadjustment, but back in the days of twin cam bows with radical cam designs, you had better have the tiller/brace height perfect or you would experience some crazy arrow flight at times.

I seriously doubt you will be able to go down to 55lb on the DXT that is a max 70lb. I'm not real familiar with the DXT but I know that cannot on the Z, Monster and Chill in the Mathews line. On those bows you would need to change limbs to get to that weight. I believe my guy at the shop said 10lbs less than max but I could be mistaken on that. I'd suggest a call to your guy before the 30 mile drive.
I will also add that a new bow is a great idea if you're so inclined. I purchased a new bow for my son and at the same draw weight as mine it is mush easier for me to draw. Faster too.

If I take it down two turns, I can always put it back to where it was and it should be the same? Or is that not the case. I may try it and then make the drive to the bow shop if it won't go low enough.

A new bow is not out of the question, but after buying 3 new pistols, 3 new rifles with 3 new scopes, and 9,000 rounds of ammo this year, my weapons budget is shot all to hell!

I'd look at the DXT manual. It usually tells you how much weight per turn. Usually they are in a 10 pound range. I've seen people go past that.(end user call) After cranking down the poundage you might need higher spine arrows.

You should be fine with that. Just make sure you adjust each limb the same. I change my Z fairly regularly due to bad shoulders and the amount I shoot all year long and have had no issues with errant flight etc. Obviously your point of impact may change as well. Good Luck!

Your cams have timing marks/scratch in metal. Note where they are in relation to your limb before you turn it down. Your arrow spined may change in order to group. Shooting the low limit on s bow makes me nervous. You could youtube changing draw weight on a dtx.

I did youtube and got two different answers. Seems like the bow shop may have to be called.

The buck chasers budget ain't shot! I know better;)

You could always order a set of 60lb limbs as well if you can't get it down to your desired draw weight. Consider your arrow weight with the lower poundage too. May want to increase the weight of your arrow. The traditional archery guys will somtimes put a piece or two of weed whacker line inside the arrow for extra weight. Just food for thought

MoBuckChaser - you just have to be very careful to make sure you go equally on both sides. It's pretty easy to get it out of time. Even though both sides may be turned equally they may effect each limb a little different. Then pretty soon you end up guessing back and forth trying to get it right again. Any archery shop will have a bow press too and can get it both set right as far as timing and the weight you want.

Trying that stuff myself I always remind myself of the old carpenters saying - "I cut it off three times and it's still too short".

November - you are correct. I wasn't thinking that through completely.

And of course the allen wrench size is metric. Thanks Mathews! WTF?

Off to the bow shop when they open, cause I aint got the correct wrench anyways!

And coming home with something shiny and new!:);)

And coming home with something shiny and new!:);)

Hell ya! Nothing wrong with buying myself a Christmas Present is there?

But what to get? I like my DXT because it is only 30" axle to axle. Is there anything out there that compact?

I know Mathews still make them if you're looking that way. Others do as well I'm sure. Shoot what feels right for you. Good Luck.

There are a ton of bows on the market with 30" to 32" axle to axle lengths. Just about every manufacturer makes a couple that short. Shoot as many as you can at 50 lbs draw weight, go with what shoots well for you first and foremost, then look for speed after that. If they shoot well and are at least comparably fast at 50lbs, they will be even better at 55 or 60 lbs.