adding towing wheels to a cultipacker?

JFK52

5 year old buck +
I am looking at a used 7 foot single axle cultipacker this weekend. It needs new end bearings per the owner. I am wondering if anyone has added towing wheels to a cultipacker. Then you can just flip it over when it is headed to the fields and flip it again to use. I have rocky roads on my land and would worry about bouncing and breaking the cultipacker inside disc wheels. Did you use solid or air tires and what size? Are there any kits available for this conversion? My plots that would need the cultipacker are scattered all over my 120 acres so it would have a distance to travel on some occasions.

I bought a 6 ft with transport wheels off this guy. He makes them bigger than 6 too with transport wheels. I’m happy with how mine came out. I just got it in April. Give him a call and I’m sure he can point you in the right direction. Mine is also the flip. (731) 926-6865 Dewayne
My tires are air tires but don’t know the size of them. I can look next time I’m at the farm but Dewayne will know what size tire is best for a 7 ft ( he will prob need to know the weight of it).

Last edited:
I assume you are buying for todays efficiency and assuming you are of strong back and character for the next 20 years ... ?

Two considerations ... why 7'? unless you have a tractor , you will burn out an atv.

I have a 6' cultipacker and flipping is a real task ... understand levers & pulleys ... Tried with my 24 hp ATV/UTV but watched and incredible strain on the units. I know the young, dumb, and full of xxx on here just think drive faster to more torque ... get to know your service shop guys.

Your towing wheels become a lever point and every foot width of disk is weight ... There is a point where blocking the wheels and using your body weight to lever won't work ... remember that when fipping over, the trailer tongue takes the abuse hitting the ground.

I put in 9-10 acres of food plots every year and at time a 6' cultipacker is more than I need ... even with a 60 hp tractor.

I agree 100 per that flipping a 6 ft is a real task.

I have a L345 Kubota 34hp 4x4 diesel tractor to pull the unit. The footprint of my rear tires is exactly 6 feet wide. While I could go with a 6 foot cultipacker, I would rather have 6 extra inches on each side of the tires covering the ground when I cultipack.
I never thought about how hard it would be to flip over the unit. I am not young and strong anymore and that is a consideration I will have to ponder.
This is exactly why I love to ask questions on this forum. I can count on the collective wisdom of the forum members to enlighten me.

Why not make it a 3 point hitch version then.

I agree JFK. This forum is priceless . You can save a lot of aggravation and wasted time by asking on here before acting. No question is a stupid question, ever.

I have used a 10 ft wide double roller cultipacker behind my old 1999 honda 400 foreman atv for 15+ yrs and atv still runs perfectly!
so I doubt you will wear out a atv using a packer larger than 7 ft IF its the right atv for the task, belt drive smaller CC atv's, OK I can see it maybe hurting one of these
, but a larger sized atv or a honda gear drive ATv, I doubt you will hurt it at all!, unless your in super hilly area's, or your trying to pull it way too fast in too high a gear! LOW range and good to go for yrs! IMO! and the proof to back it up 15+ yrs and still running like new!(averaged about 10 acres a yr too of plots and packing with it!, spraying and adding fertilizer too and even pulling atv sized disc's and harrows)

Now as for adding transport wheels, I think this would come down to the design of the packer itself and if its feasible to do so, as GOOD heavy packers at 7 ft wide might eb way too heavy for the average human to flip over, my 10 fter weight well over 1200 lbs! even if I lost the second roller, that would still be in the 600+ lb range! more than I woudl wanat to try to flip over alone! a 7 ft would I guess be about 400+ lbs? still a handful

maybe you could add some drop down wheels with a screw jack like set up? one to each side and weld them on(axles on ends) then you can simply screw them up or down to run down roads
as I could see why wheels would be helpful for many places, as cast iron packer wheels are NOT made to be pulled fast and can be damaged if done so!
I never pull mine more than maybe 7-8 mph! unless on fresh soft soil or grass without any rocks, which is rare here LOL

Tufline makes a Cultipacker with drop down wheels with a screw jack set up that MRB was mentioning. It’s $1600 but it would be ideal for you . Google it so you at least get an idea of the set up. I bought the Tufline Disk with wheels and the jack set up about 8 years ago and it’s the best purchase I ever made. It’s top notch and don’t have one complaint about it.

To answer the why not make it a 3 point hitch version. I have a Delta hook on the back on my Kubota. The male part is more or less permanently attached to my tractor. The female part is on each implement I want to use. My disc, hopper spreader and back blade have the male parts. I just back up to each implement, lower the Delta hook and raise it to hook up the implement. It is a triangle shape so it self centers when raising. A simplistic design that saves me a lot of swearing and enables me to hook up implements by myself.

If I had to add another female part to the cultipacker the female Delta hook parts run about $500 now days. On top of that I would have to part a welder to fabricate a frame for the cultipacker to use the Delta hook. I am guessing that would add another $100 or more. They were a LOT cheaper when I originally bought them 27 years ago.

So the simple answer is money. If I had that much into a used cultipacker I am reaching the point where it would make more sense to buy a new one. I am trying to spend the lease amount of money on a used cultipacker, even with repairs and modifications.

Here's a few PICS of a 5 footer that we pull behind our 4 wheeler. Added wheels and a reverisible hitch to it. Just unpin the hitch, flip, repin the hitch and go. We have found that by blocking the cultipacker wheels, one person can flip it fairly easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    849.7 KB · Views: 24
How do you like the delta hook. I was unfamiliar with it so I looked it up. Seems to me it would kick a$$ over a quick hitch. Too bad they're quite pricey.

I too block the Cultipacker wheels. I use a piece of cut wood on each tire and park it on a hill to flip it. Makes things 5x easier. I got a 6ft, but in my opinion I think I should have got a 5 ft. A 5 ft versus a 6 ft is really no difference in time, but prob a lot easier to work with as far as flipping. Time shouldn’t really be an issue because packing the plot is the fun part. I enjoy it anyway.

you guys that are flipping them, if your's are all like the one in above pic's from bbcoach , then your packer wheels/disc's are a LOT smaller than a lot of the old school one's made of cast iron that are also made to freely move side to side,plus again are very heavy , so the old school packers even a 6 fter would be a LOT heavier and I doubt you could block them that easy to flip with one guy any how
not bashing, just pointing this out to anyone that doesn't know much about packers
there are a lot of differences in how some are built and things used to build them

I don't know HOW strong a GOOD trailer jack would be, but I think a HD trailer jack, and then weld on an axle spindle, adding a jack like this to each side might be do able as long as you run a decent tire and go easy, just food for thought

I am lucky most every place I use a packer I can leave it near where I plant and just dirt fields and roads to travel to get from storage to plots, I just take my time and travel towing them back and forth!

My soil and use of a tiller allows me to not use a packer.....I just use tractor and let the tires do it for me. Takes some time, but it's less equipment i have to mess with dragging around.

NT179, the answer to your question is that I LOVE the Delta hook set up. I have been running it for 27 years and could not think of anything I would change about it except the price. It is a very heavy piece of metal that is used to make it. Even if I am slightly off center when I back up to an implement, the triangle design walks the Delta hook into perfect alignment. It has a tooth that is recessed on the female part. The solid male part causes this tooth to recess until it meets a hole in the male part. Then it locks itself in place and you are good to go. Sometimes I have to get off the tractor to actually uncouple implements. Other times it just takes a pull on the cord attached to the female release lever and I can drop the implement.

When I first got my place I had to constantly look for another person to help me hook up implements. That got old quick. I bought the Delta hook so I can do it all by myself.

I keep my eyes open for them on the used market but they seldom show up and are usually snapped up immediately.