All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding to already existing property?

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
For those landowners that added ground to an already existing piece of property (or are considering), what was/is your thought process in moving forward?

You've likely heard the old adage buy land...they're not making anymore. Or maybe buy it before the crazy neighbors on the other side of the road gets it. Or even being influenced to buy out of concern about the unknown new neighbor that may move in.

In this case, years ago a neighbor offered me 1st right of refusal and while it's a small tract in relation to what I own now it does add tillable ground, good timber, additional creek-lined buffer and a little road frontage that may help overall assessed value.

I've often thought about adding ground if it should come available but never really thought about why. Did you add ground to an existing tract and what made you pull the trigger?

In August I closed on a small neighboring parcel. My main reason was I didn't want someone to buy it and create issues for me in the future. I would of bought it even if I never did anything with it but this property also works for some other things so it worked out well for me.

I bought it as soon as the elderly lady would sell it. I've called her once a year for the last four years and she finally decided to sell this year. She, and her now deceased husband, owned the property since 1977 and she only stepped foot on it three times in all those years. She was still hesitant to sell!

I owned 10 acres and was looking for more land. I had a misunderstanding with the people who rented the land next to mine. I went to see the land owner, the president of a large X-mas tree company. I told him I was looking for more land. He told me that his company was land rich but cash poor. Three months later I had a land contract for the contiguous 112 acres next to my 10 acres. I stumbled onto that land by pure luck. At the same time, I had the money in hand to make a substantial down payment and the smarts to see to owner of the rented land to complain about the actions of the persons who were renting it. I had never considered trying to buy the land next to mine. I was going to buy a different piece and sell the 10 acres. That was 25 years ago this deer season.

I didn't add ground to my existing land but bought some in a different area. The thought being that I'll still be hunting the same bucks if I bought along my same piece but hunting different ones at the new place. Also if I get tired of one I could always sell it and move on to the other one. I still love the original place but it's fun to see what's at the new one.

Bought the 80 next to me few years back. Paid a premium then but it's worth more today.
Why? It was mostly hay ground with an open gate. Watched different trucks roll in, drive all around and then leave all day during rifle season.

Today it's got a locked gate, nasty signs, WSNG, beans,clover and weeds. We took 2 150 inch bucks off it last year. If I can afford a neighbor I'm buying. Like Mo said, land usually only comes up for sale once in a lifetime. Buy while you can if won't put in dire straights financially.

Yes, they don't make anymore land, but there is always land for sale! The problem is, the piece next to yours usually only comes up for sale once in your life time. You better be ready to pay the price for solitude! Or suffer for not buying! You will be pissed every time you drive by and someone else is sitting there hunting on your fence line!

I bought the two acres of road frontage next to mine to keep anyone from building a house on it that could potentially have an army of kids and free running dogs to traipse over my farm. The back side of it ended up being a great spot for and orchard and I can put a little log cabin on it some day.

I bought the two acres of road frontage next to mine to keep anyone from building a house on it that could potentially have an army of kids and free running dogs to traipse over my farm. The back side of it ended up being a great spot for and orchard and I can put a little log cabin on it some day.

Smart Move, congrats!

Well...I'm happy to report we're working thru the details.

For me, the key factors for adding this piece were it's just a real nice ground with solid revenue generation + the (un)likelihood it would be available to purchase in the foreseeable future and perhaps my lifetime. No new neighbors and can manage access on that side without too much trouble as there's a creek for a boundary.

Interestingly in my decision, simply having more ground to hunt never even really emerged on the list as a determining factor. This was a surprise to me...in my younger years this would have been THE deciding factor.

I bought a 10 acre old farm site next to my 105 acres in wi. It was a great building site and I paid a premium for it but it was well worth it. Prevented having a new neighbor and it was a perfect spot for a hunting shack that we could use to give us a better access point. Neighboring 3 acres with a trailer house came up but my offer was too low and someone built a house there. I could buy a 40 for what they paid for the 3 acres so I'm ok with missing out there. No problems yet, but that could change at any time. If you can afford it, buy it. If not, keep your fingers crossed.