Acorns or other mast crops

MN_Chestnut

Yearling... With promise
I saw this thread on another site but wanted to hear what you all see for the comming fall acorn/nut drops.

Central MN is pretty bleak. Last year was a bumper crop, this year I can't find an acorn....

Last edited:
Basically no acorns in West Central Mn.

Worst ever.

Nothing last yr, loaded this yr.: Chinkapin, red, dco, sawtooth, and burr are all doing great!
9687c68538c534ade6924d4314bd244d.jpg
91e689ebdfd7013174e2ac4f6f4fcfad.jpg
a8a3813fd1e3d1ec20f8009a0dac4e8a.jpg
4174f1fd8a3b8a8b1eee3c6929f8dcc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We have some acorns this year but it is not a bumper crop by any measure.

None on most oaks here in central wisconsin. Hard freeze in late may did a number on them.

In my woods I have a lot of white&red oak but they are nothing to brag about this fall, guys a few miles away say they are seeing some. I think part of it depended on how the rain hit this summer, I only had a few tenths June through early August that might have affected mine or my trees are on an off cycle year? Two years ago I was buried in acorns.

So far in Virginia we have a modest crop ..nothing too much or to little .....bout average or.maybe a bit less than average

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Texas is COVERED in acorns this year. It'll make it hard to narrow the deer down because there's going to be acorns dropping in essentially every square inch of the woods.

central NY, acorns decent crop not huge but beech trees are loaded.

Started collecting Chinquapin and Sawtooth this weekend.
9ba7c0c442f950f9880f7aed2d55de65.jpg
273f3d2173ee07dba7fd14b8209f9189.jpg

For those of you in bad acorn crop areas - when that happens here, deer really focus on food plots and apple / crab / pear trees. Archery hunting should be good when directed around plots / fruit trees.

Like Ikeman said - when there's acorns all around thru the woods, deer can be anywhere. Throw a dart at your topo.

No acorns in east central mn, either

Southern Missouri we've got quite a few acorns. Could make it tougher to locate deer in the big woods. We're already at our yearly average for precipitation...

I'm in east Texas and the homestead's live oak has started dropping lots of acorns! When I go to the ranch I'll check the crop when I get the chance.

Started collecting Chinquapin and Sawtooth this weekend.
9ba7c0c442f950f9880f7aed2d55de65.jpg
273f3d2173ee07dba7fd14b8209f9189.jpg

The Chinqupin in my area weren't dropping last week when I went out looking. Going to check again today to see if they have started. If their late drop time stays consistent over the next couple of years, they may replace a lot of the sawtooth plantings that I plan to do in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebraska is LOADED! This is by far the largest crop I have ever witnessed. You can literally take a grain/scoop shovel and scoop up acorns off the forest floor. If your not careful you will literally roll down the draws and ravines like you skating on marbles. Crazy...

Nebraska is LOADED! This is by far the largest crop I have ever witnessed. You can literally take a grain/scoop shovel and scoop up acorns off the forest floor. If your not careful you will literally roll down the draws and ravines like you skating on marbles. Crazy...
That's nutz
Good luck hunting this year, I hope you post one of thoes Nebraska monsters here later this year!!

I know this is a month old thread but in our area, Crawford County, Missouri, there seem to be quite a few acorns. Plenty of both red and white oak. Deer in Missouri always seem to prefer the white if given the choice. I wouldn't say it's a huge crop but at least average. Three of the four deer I saw Saturday morning were eating them at the time.