A wise man learns from another mans mistakes

I still have much to learn about soil health Jack. You going to spray an pray plots? or using a no till drill? I have been staying clear of annual plots for several years now. My motto is add clover/alfalfa to every mix and then maintain it as a perennial plot for several years. Then rotate which plots I am tilling under annually.. One hole I always struggle with is late season food... Turnip/clover/rye mix is the answer I just never seem to execute it...

I've been transitioning for quite a few years now. In some cases I min-till as my clay can crust and become problematic. I use a tiller and raise it with the 3pt hitch so it is only touching the top inch. In other cases, like standing beans, I simply surface broadcast. This works better for me in the fall broadcasting into a summer crop than it does in the spring. I have a little 4' Kasco no-till drill that I use as well. I use a combination of methods depending on what I'm planting. I'm mixing/rotating grasses with legumes to build OM.

I think better soils can tolerate more abuse than marginal soils. I'm no soil scientist. I typically point folks to "Ray the Soil guy" to understand the principles and science and to the T&M thread that Crimson and Camo maintains on here for "how-to" with small equipment.

Thanks,

Jack

Bill,

I see why you approved this guy. Quite insightful contributions. :emoji_smirk:

I don’t have any wooden box stands with skids at this point, but I believe I’ve seen a few pictures of some on this forum. Here’s a picture of a couple metal frame stands that I put out this year. Pretty simple design that works:

8501be2e80c4a85349b89fb4378b0d8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He,about starting a separate thread on these blinds. I’d love to build (or buy)a couple or three of those.

Another lesson learned with tree tubes.
Never use rebar as stakes. Always use 1/2” plastic conduit pipe. I used rebar on all my first chestnut trees. Hot summer weather heats up that metal and it dries the soil out around your seedlings in a hurry! Not good on a drought yr!

I don’t have any wooden box stands with skids at this point, but I believe I’ve seen a few pictures of some on this forum. Here’s a picture of a couple metal frame stands that I put out this year. Pretty simple design that works:

8501be2e80c4a85349b89fb4378b0d8f.jpg

He,about starting a separate thread on these blinds. I’d love to build (or buy)a couple or three of those.

I bought the stand frames from a guy in Pine Bluff, AR and finished them out myself. He was real reasonable on pricing, it was worth the 4 hr round trip to get the two frames. If you’re interested, look up Green’s Customs LLC on Facebook.

I bought the stand frames from a guy in Pine Bluff, AR and finished them out myself. He was real reasonable on pricing, it was worth the 4 hr round trip to get the two frames. If you’re interested, look up Green’s Customs LLC on Facebook.

Thanks!