A Late Persimmon

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Pictures from yesterday of a persimmon tree I planted 8-10 years ago. I noticed last year that it had a few fruit on it and this year it carried many more. I only have a few persimmon fruiting and all except this tree dropped their fruit a month or more ago. Not a fan of the taste of a persimmon but this one is the best I've ever tasted. Fruit still hanging tight.
IMG_6287.jpg

IMG_6303.jpg

IMG_6305.jpg

Good tree to have, Rick. I remember Ned Smith - the wildlife artist and Pa. Game News columnist - wrote of seeing deer eating the mushy remnants of persimmons in the snow. I'm sure they'll be eaten by something as they drop.

You have a gem there. A few years back when I was grafting a lot of persimmons, I found a source for scions. It was an old doctor that had been grafting persimmons for deer for many years. He had collected scions from trees that had a wide variety of drop times. He sent me some great stuff. I have November, some December, some January and even a February drop time persimmon that I got from him. I use mostly commercial varieties and well as trading with others to cover Sept and Oct. Keep in mind that I find there is variability from year to year in drop time, but later trees seem to always be later than earlier trees, but the scale shifts from earlier to later in some years and vise versa in others.

I took this picture of a nice persimmon tree this weekend. Still loaded and they’ve been dropping for over a month.

7296cd897eb7992524f4b42c038858b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a gem there. A few years back when I was grafting a lot of persimmons, I found a source for scions. It was an old doctor that had been grafting persimmons for deer for many years. He had collected scions from trees that had a wide variety of drop times. He sent me some great stuff. I have November, some December, some January and even a February drop time persimmon that I got from him. I use mostly commercial varieties and well as trading with others to cover Sept and Oct. Keep in mind that I find there is variability from year to year in drop time, but later trees seem to always be later than earlier trees, but the scale shifts from earlier to later in some years and vise versa in others.

agree

Finding that tree is like finding gold

bill

I took these photos today. The two different spots that I found in September still have fruit. And, I took a doe feeding under one of the clusters in October.
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

I took these photos today. The two different spots that I found in September still have fruit. And, I took a doe feeding under one of the clusters in October.
View attachment 27248
View attachment 27249

Nice tree and it’s a big one too!
Is that tree in KY?

Nice tree and it’s a big one too!
Is that tree in KY?

These are in Kentucky. I think they have to be close to 60 feet tall. There's 3 in one cluster, then another one about a hundred yards away. They were all loaded this year.

I’ve got a bunch of persimmons that are still loaded in KY as well. Several were holding fruit in January last year. All are fairly tall trees.

Thankfully, the farm has plenty of big mature female persimmons and I find fruit falling all through fall and winter.

83991b726d35c4f434d8daf1201b92b0.jpg

d934f8d3709f953b35e8c52e2531f697.jpg

I need to learn how to recognize these trees better. I'm pretty weak on my hardwood recognition. I was duck hunting yesterday, leaning against a persimmon and didn't know it until I saw thew fruit!

Looking good guys.

I have several trees with fruit still hanging. I like the trees that start slowly dropping early and continue on at a slow place. It keeps the deer coming by and checking.

KY is a persimmon tree state. I grew up in KY and I can remember helping my dad cut firewood in the winter. He was always cutting persimmon trees. I bet we cut up 1000 trees over the years. Didn’t seem to ever be a shortage.

There is a house in my neighborhood here in Tioga County, NY that still has persimmons hanging. My daughters and I have been walking by the house for years and I realized about two years ago he had a paw paw tree. The paw paw sits behind this persimmon so I was always looking past it to admire the paw paw and never realized I was looking past a persimmon. I happened to notice the persimmons while they were still green but good size. Holding lots of persimmons and deer tracks in the snow under the tree. I keep meaning to stop at the house and ask if it and the paw paw are grafted trees. I'm not sure if the persimmons have seeds or not but I'd love to grow them out and get scions for grafting on my parents farm.