A Johnny Appleseed Tree?

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
I ran across this while surfing the internet and thought it was pretty interesting. Don't know if it's been posted up before.
I think the true variety may be a variation of an old country Rome or Roma apple?
I know there are supposedly a couple original Appleseed trees still in Ohio.

I have space and am from Ohio so I've got to try one even if the actual apple isn't the greatest...the story and history is!

https://raintreenursery.com/johnny-appleseed-apple-mm106-spring

Last edited:
Interesting

From seeds scooped up at cider mills he established nurseries in Licking, Ashland, and Richland counties. One nursery on the Walhonding was said to be planted with 16 bushels of seeds.
“From all accounts he was a cultured man and it seems likely he knew a good deal of botany.” He is said to have preferred growing seedlings rather than propagating by grafting because his method was more natural.

Thanks for posting.

That's great that you'll be able to add that to your orchard.
I've been doing the same thing here, trying to add all the Arkansas originated apples I can find. I have a lead on one listed as extinct in Lee Calhoun' s book southern apples. A descendent of Abraham Tull has agreed to let me take scion wood this winter from the old homestead Tull tree. Hope it works out.

An update on this;

My Johnny Appleseed tree arrived in late March and was a nice thick 3' whip that had a little feathering. I was able to get it in and caged at the perfect time to catch all the spring rains and this summer has had ideal rain for starting new trees.
The tree has done as well as any and is branching out nicely.

Yesterday my wife and I were in FtWayne IN and decided to see if we could find Johnny Appleseeds grave site while we were there.
All I could find out about it were the longitude and latitude coordinates so after a good old modern day pioneer search we were able to find it!
It is about a hundred yards from the St Joe river up on a little hill just south of the Collosium. There are a couple old apple trees that look like Granny Smith and about eight or ten crabapples planted just outside the little rod iron fence that protects the site.
It was a peaceful spot a little grown up and has cobblestones surrounding the ground around his marker.... the coolest thing was visitors leave apples to honor the man as they pay their respects, we left a Honey Crisp.
It has to be a beautiful scene in the spring with the trees in bloom, right in the middle of a very large city!

the coolest thing was visitors leave apples to honor the man as they pay their respects, we left a Honey Crisp.

Do you just walk around with apples in your pocket? :emoji_hushed:

Do you just walk around with apples in your pocket? :emoji_hushed:

No, but I take one if I'm planning on visiting the grave of an American apple icon and legend who started nurseries all over my area. Apparently many others who visited had done the same.

Wife and I were in Ft Wayne IN yesterday and stopped by Johnny Apple Seeds gravesite again because we were so close.

aCMWgwL.jpg

My Johnny Appleseed tree planted last spring as a little whip.

cLFI0W3.jpg

zPv28Y2.jpg

It's been a conversation point any time we have had friends out to the farm.