A fun night with the Boys

roymunson

5 year old buck +
My 4 year old and I picked up my 6 year old yesterday from school and headed to the blind. Got set up and an hour in had to bail out to the cabin because one of them had to poop. Told myself just to let it go. If we don't see deer, it was still a good night.

30 minutes after Poopgate, the older one looked up and whisper yelled "DEER!!!" and scared them off. So we had a talk about being quiet and keeping your hand motions below the blind windows.

20 minutes later he looked out the blind window (my blind spot) and said "Dad, there's a deer in the food plot right outside your window. Sure enough, there's a doe about 10 yards outside the blind, working her way downwind of us. I thought we were cooked.

Somehow, she suddenly turned, and walked right out in front of the blind. I got my bow drawn before she got there and laced her at 7 steps. The boys were beside themselves. We watched her crash just off the field.

We sat for another 1/2 hour letting things settle down and just as we were about to pack up and go find her, suddenly "dad! more deer"

a basket rack 8 and a couple spikes came in and worked a scrape and ate for a while. It was an absolute blast! Can't imagine what it'd be like when one of them is the trigger man.

This is the small buck that showed up. They were convinced he was probably a shooter

Awesome...sounds like a fantastic evening!

Roy, congratulations on the deer. Great times with the kids for sure. I always took my kids to the blind and it was worth every "DEER!" encounter we had.

It was an absolute blast! Can't imagine what it'd be like when one of them is the trigger man.

That looks like great fun! Enjoy the heck out it! I know they look little but damn they grow fast.
Yesterday (it seems) I was taking my son in his first hunt as a peewee. Today I'm literally trying to figure out how to get him flights from college to the farm to hunt this fall.

You need to teach them to go in the woods.Believe me my daughter still remembers have to dump the water out of the minnow bucket to go when fishing on creek when she was 3

Oh man, what an awesome hunt. The beginning of many to come. I'm lucky Jake is still young enough to let me go with, but I can see that coming to an end soon. That will be a sad but proud day when he wants to go solo.

Enjoy it, I sure am!

-John

Good times! I can t wait to have a similar stories with my little girls! Good for you!

Congrats on the doe, and what a blast doing it with your kids!

Sounds like it will be a hunt you never forget. Congrats on the freezer meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk