6.5 creedmore?

I did look for an outdoor life article about it and the primary one I found was this one by an author singing the 6.5 creedmoor's praises although he clearly doesn't have a clue about what causes bullets to behave in certain ways with terminal ballistics. https://www.outdoorlife.com/5-things-i-learned-about-65-creedmoor-for-whitetails/

To @buckdeer1's posts, bullets ARE the key ingredient. They matter way more than what cartridge is stamped on the brass in most cases. I'm just not aware of anything relating to bullets loaded in 6.5 creedmoor that differ in terminal function from similarly constructed bullets in any other cartridge. A ELDx / accubond / core-loct / barnes in a 6.5 creedmoor acts like a ELDx / accubond / core-loct / barnes in a 270/308/30-06/7mm/etc.

To the OP if you're working on a trade for 6.5 Creedmoor in a Ruger #1 I'd go for it just to see what it is capable of. If I was to be buying a new bolt action I think I'd look at the 260 Remington. I think it would be fun to try a boatload if handloads in that 260.

260 rem = Swede minus maybe 40 FPS at the same pressures.

I have only owned my Bergara in 6.5 creedmoor for a little over a year but it seems to fall into a sweet spot. I love my 308 winchesters but the 6.5 shoots flatter with less recoil and blast yet enough energy and velocity to get the job done on deer sized game. It is very accurate and was easy to find a good hand load. Ammo and component availability are about as good as it gets nowadays. Higher performance cartridges have significantly reduced barrel life.

I just know what I saw and read and if you google even outdoor life 6.5 creedmore there are several articles stating yes it shoots flat but is not a deer killing gun.I know good bullets have to be developed for the velocity of the gun and the animal hunted.Most of what I saw was in 2020 and 2021,maybe they didn't have many options in bullets.

I just know what I saw and read and if you google even outdoor life 6.5 creedmore there are several articles stating yes it shoots flat but is not a deer killing gun.I know good bullets have to be developed for the velocity of the gun and the animal hunted.Most of what I saw was in 2020 and 2021,maybe they didn't have many options in bullets.
Nonsense. With the right bullets this will kill deer just fine. Plenty of velocity and a bullet with enough mass to get 'er done.

I guess I've been viewing this whole gun and ammo thing wrong. Always thought to get the right gun and to place emphasis on fit, feel, comfort in carry, and beauty. Caliber was always a secondary thought to the importance of the right gun. In all honesty most calibers will do what I need though and I'm not picky. We've killed deer with .223, 7.62x39 (SKS), .308, British .303, 30-30, 30-06, .243, slugs, .44 mag, 9mm, arrows, and bolts. I've found arrows to be the most rewarding.

Too many folks associate superior qualities to a cartridge (or even broadhead).

IE- 30-30 and brush, 6.5 as a sniper do all, etc. While the 6.5cm is a very accurate round, nothing trumps accurate placement. A deer hit in the guts with a 300wm is less dead in the moment than a 22lr to the back of the head. Are both fatal? Likely.

Most folks who can’t handle recoil also lack the real world proficiency with accuracy. Somewhere between short sword dudes trashing the trendy grab of shooters to the 6.5, and people who have begun shooting “long range” feeling like they’re Chris Kyle with the lethality of Thor’s hammer… resides the mental block on what this (or any round) is capable of.

I guess I've been viewing this whole gun and ammo thing wrong. Always thought to get the right gun and to place emphasis on fit, feel, comfort in carry, and beauty. Caliber was always a secondary thought to the importance of the right gun. In all honesty most calibers will do what I need though and I'm not picky. We've killed deer with .223, 7.62x39 (SKS), .308, British .303, 30-30, 30-06, .243, slugs, .44 mag, 9mm, arrows, and bolts. I've found arrows to be the most rewarding.
likewise. over the years, my go to for deer hunting is my simple remington 700 .270. it's traveled many a mile, continues to drive tacks, and drops every deer. when the cool name creedmor came out, went to the ballistics, and found it was so close to the .270 that there was no need to lust after it. Point is: if my .270 can do the job, the creedmor round will do it, too.
A buddy bought a 6.5 rifle, and i had the opportunity to shoot it a few times. For some reason, my .270 will pound my shoulder at the range, but the 6.5 creedmor did have way less recoil, even tho his rifle was lighter. This is the only advantage I noticed, but still wasn't even close to enough to consider buying one. I don't buy weapons to sit in the safe, I like to use them.

I will also say that a different caliber is a good enough reason to buy a new gun as any.

Do any of you guys keep a couple of BB guns in your display case so that when you buy a new gun you can switch it out without the wife noticing? Filling an empty spot is pretty obvious to a woman, but they don't seem to notice the difference between a AR looking pellet gun and a real one. They even make pellet guns with suppressor looking things on the barrel...

I will also say that a different caliber is a good enough reason to buy a new gun as any.

Do any of you guys keep a couple of BB guns in your display case so that when you buy a new gun you can switch it out without the wife noticing? Filling an empty spot is pretty obvious to a woman, but they don't seem to notice the difference between a AR looking pellet gun and a real one. They even make pellet guns with suppressor looking things on the barrel...
😂🇺🇸👍🏻

lol, my wife stays out of the hunting room, but she'll notice it immediately in the bank account. You got any tricks to offset that?

The 6.5 creedmore will outperform the .308 win when you get to 500 yards.

the sectional density and ballistic coefficient is impressive in the 6.5 bullet.

using a ruger number platform and reloading should make a creedmore even stronger…..

but……the # 1 I am thinking about has a shorter barrel so that would reduce performance

lol, my wife stays out of the hunting room, but she'll notice it immediately in the bank account. You got any tricks to offset that?
Cash stashes! The wife and I both keep one and we don't talk about them. I have no idea how much she has stashed, and she has no idea how much I have stashed. Don't care what she spends it on. Both our checks are direct deposit, so that's family money for bills and in general survival. We tend to give each other cash for birthdays and such. I do side jobs here n there for cash. I used to do demolition derbies. Buy a cheap car, ebay trim and emblems, race it to win some money, then sell what's left for scrap price. A $500 car would end up bringing several thousand dollars plus a summer of entertainment. I quit that so I sold some cars and bought jet skis. Sell some firewood. Work cattle for someone. Change someone's alternator. Etc. There's lots of ways to make $50-$200. Do that a few times and ya can afford most guns.

99% of all of this is mental masturbation for most hunters. Most modern bolt guns should shoot within a level of precision of about 2 MOA. I think it's safe to call a deer's vitals @ 100 yards about a 10 MOA target with lots of opportunity for shots outside of that 10 MOA to still be lethal. So at 100 yards, hunters have 5x more margin for error than their rifle yet people talk about a rifle shooting 0.5" tighter than a different one like it matters! The fact that hunters frequently miss a 10+ MOA target by a significant margin tells the story.

When you see people say "the creedmoor is flat shooting" its clear they don't get it. Factory ammo @ 2600-2850 in most cases is not "flat". It is efficient for the level of recoil it generates. I bet lots of ignorant folks take longer shots than they should because they are shooting a "precision target round" without a clue of why a creedmoor is favorable in competition shooting. Even the 270 comparisons are odd. A 270 is a considerably bigger case and it results in 50% more recoil. Of course it's going to be flatter with similar weight bullets. The case size ratio is like comparing a 30/06 to a 338 win mag. They are not in the same class. However, the higher BC 264 bullets buck the wind better than .277 bullets negating the velocity advantage in a 270 when it comes to wind deflection. Less recoil and same or less wind deflection = easier to hit targets at distance for people who play that game. None of that matters in the point blank shooting scenarios most deer hunters are in, one just hits you a little harder in the shoulder.

When it comes to recoil, most hunters look at it like if they can stand to shoot half a box of ammo off a bench and a couple rounds at deer annually without jerking a trigger out of terror, recoil is not a factor. Recoil is always a factor. It magnifies poor shooting form. Even the best and least recoil shy shooters are going to shoot a low recoiling round more accurately than a high recoiling round. This really comes into play with developing better rifleman skills. A low recoiling round is going to be likely to result in more practice. If a guy is only going to shoot a box of ammo a year regardless of round, that impact is obviously less.

I still maintain than putting an expanding bullet in the vitals matters way more than the specifics of which bullet and that is made easier with a milder cartridge. Choosing a bullet that performs well terminally is next most important. What headstamp is on the brass is way down the list of things that matter in cleanly killing animals.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a .243 for 26 years. Never had any issues killing deer. Never lost a deer. Hardly ever had to track any. I bought a 6.5 couple years ago and finally got to use it on a deer last fall. Dropped in its tracks. Never understood people that have issues w/ these calibers.

There are some really good recoil pads out there such as the SIMS vibration brand.My 100lb daughter has been shooting a 7mag since she shot an Oryx in NM at 13.She says it's her gun

The old manufacturing saw goes: Tolerances cost money.

Back in the day......when I was developing cartridge headspace comparators and bullet seating depth tools.....I studied several reference books on SAMMI specifications for chambers and cartridges. LOL....seems strange to spend many hours pouring over dimensions......but that is how I came to understand the 5 most common datum circles used for headspace....and typical freebore, etc. Was quite a revealing time for me.....and I was able to apply that data into some neat tools I developed back then. I have not looked at those drawings in many years now.....but I assume they are similar today.

Anyway......I also did some comparisons on the variations from cartridges to chambers and more. The more I looked....the more I saw the merit of a few (like the 280 Remington) which had not marginalized the dimensions by allowing too many large (and small) bullets to be used in the "free space" of the intended firearms....compared to how a round like the 30-06 has to make room for bullets from 110 grain to 220 grains within those chambers. Where the 280 only had bullets up to 175(?) grains IIRC.....and the chambers were about .002 smaller in OD at the neck and body.....(if my memory serves). The 280 was one of but a few big game chambering that were spared the rather "loose" SAMMI tolerances that so many other rounds employ. It's odd to me that the 280 was not more highly prized as a big game gun. I own a Rem Mountain Rifle in 280Rem.....and love that gun. Tighter tolerances improve accuracy.....IMO.

Of course you could specify your own custom reamer dimensions and and make a tight chamber with limited freebore to suit bullets you intend to shoot....if you want to take the next step into improved accuracy. Few of us want to go that route.....but you can definitely improve on accuracy by reducing tolerances.

I think the 280 was too redundant compared to the 270. To become that popular.

The 270 may perhaps be the cartridge we all are seeking…..but we must reinvent the wheel.

is there a 270 caliber out there in a 308 Winchester parent case?

I think the 280 was too redundant compared to the 270. To become that popular.

The 270 may perhaps be the cartridge we all are seeking…..but we must reinvent the wheel.

is there a 270 caliber out there in a 308 Winchester parent case?
The 270 is an orphan sized bullet. The 270 was written about by Jack O'Conner ALLOT back in the day of western big game hunting in the '50's.....and America fell in love with the cartridge and rifles (Winchester) of his writing in the magazines. The 280 has lots of great 7mm bullets available and will outperform in almost every situation....but it had some bad decisions made on naming the cartrige originally (7MM Express got confused with 7MM Magnum??) and Remington really screwed up the introduction at that time. It never caught hold like it should have......and that is a shame. It performs within 100 fps of a 7mm Mag with much less recoil and better barrel longevity.

Many things just get botched up along the way in life. Oh well.....you can't save 'em all.

Last edited: