500 ac Ohio Land

Beautiful place there!! Some nice bucks too!

I 2nd putting the rye on top. Youde have nothing to loose! Eagle beans would probably hold up to the browse pressure better. You may be far enough south to get some good pod production. Ive used them here in MN and had no success as the deer liked my regular beans better and I didnt get big pods on my Eagles. Looks like your screen worked nice.

Look forward to more pics!

You beans look good for the small area you planted. I will have to second Bill. Increasing your acreage is the best option. This is the first year I have been able to get sustained bean plots and I am up to 14 total acres over many plots.

Maybe I can get sbyb to chime in here. He uses fishing line around his plot to keep deer out till he wants them in the deer. He may tie flags on the line every so often, but I'll ask when we work next if he doesn't see this.
This is our first eagle bean plot and while it's been a learning experience, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for the input guys... The plot is almost an acre.. I could go bigger but didn't know if it was more worth putting the extra money into a E-fence or into more beans.. I used real world wildlife beans that are almost same price as Eagle so I know they are not cheap.. But tell me do you guys see a difference in pod production in the Eagles since they are more for forage? We will most likely hunt this only in November and December so was hoping we would have a decent pod production.. Also did want to make a huge bean plot because in Ohio we can only use shotgun and muzzleloader ..no rifle and we bow hunt mostly so we wanted to keep the plot smaller to hopefully bring the deer in closer to this blind.. Another thing is I checked the beans that are in the weeds with the fox tail and they are actually already starting to produce pods.. I'm sure it won't be much but they are deg farther along than the ones that got browsed on... So that was my second question.. Anyone have luck with a mix or throughing in some corn to potentially help browse ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input guys... The plot is almost an acre.. I could go bigger but didn't know if it was more worth putting the extra money into a E-fence or into more beans.. I used real world wildlife beans that are almost same price as Eagle so I know they are not cheap.. But tell me do you guys see a difference in pod production in the Eagles since they are more for forage? We will most likely hunt this only in November and December so was hoping we would have a decent pod production.. Also did want to make a huge bean plot because in Ohio we can only use shotgun and muzzleloader ..no rifle and we bow hunt mostly so we wanted to keep the plot smaller to hopefully bring the deer in closer to this blind.. Another thing is I checked the beans that are in the weeds with the fox tail and they are actually already starting to produce pods.. I'm sure it won't be much but they are deg farther along than the ones that got browsed on... So that was my second question.. Anyone have luck with a mix or throughing in some corn to potentially help browse ?

Throwing corn in wont reduce browse pressure. As far a pod production you're probably going to get more from Don's beans. (If you can get them through browse). Real world are not forage beans so I believe more pods.

Eagle will produce pods. I used them for 2 years. The pods were smaller than regular beans. I always broadcast winter rye into my beans just as the leafs start to yellow. Usually mid sept. Eagle beans didn't give me this option because they stay green longer and don't allow the rye enough time to really grow before it gets cold.

Don't want to sound like I'm taking anything away from Eagle. They have a purpose. If you want summer/early fall browse resistance and tonnage their the ticket. If you're looking for later fall pods with green rye under them thier not my first choice.

I Hear you on wanting to keep the shooting range close but from what I see a bigger plot is needed.
Unfortunately a fence may still be needed. Rome wasn't built in a day. No reason you need both next year.

Alright guys a little update for you... Went back to the farm this weekend to investigate a little more... I checked out the beans that I had not sprayed earlier in the season and as I said before they are the only beans that have not been grazed on...
8059ded7e61ec6975db50a5226576555.jpg

You can see them mixed in with all of the ragweed... And they are growing pods

a99a4fe60a7b18f9669a3899486f6e69.jpg

I'm sure they are not going to produce the pods that they would of if I would of sprayed them.. But as I said all the areas we sprayed got pretty much wiped out by deer.. These being Real World Wildlife seeds may have helped because they are more directed to pod production...

ea6d28253ea90ae86a98dac4b4857ce8.jpg

Also through in some brassica in the heavy browsed areas and it's already sprouting pretty good

11303f985d777ee507ed0fa74f1d7e84.jpg

69921c71c9160bc27f6eccb9b91a1bbc.jpg

d53eaf0c1ffb4368247b1849bca23802.jpg

Welp it's been a while since I've updated but here is one of my small fall plots I planted First week of Sept... planted it about 2 weeks later than I wanted... I used a Big and Beasty by frigid Forage which is PTT/radish/sugar beet/Rape I know it was probably more expensive than if I just mixed myself but it was easier to buy it instead of searching for the seeds separate around where I live and at that have a ton more seed than I needed...

Also here is a question... I mixed the brassica with a combo of clover/alfalfa/chicory probably 60/40 ratio with clover mix being 60%.... I may have overseeded the area a bit too thick... the clover is popping up well but is it a bit too late to be planting a clover chicory mix like that in Ohio?? I don't plan to hunt this spot till November anyways so as long as the deer don't destroy it should be decent growth by then... any thoughts?

Also bottoms pic is where I just broadcasted the Brassica mix into my soybeans that have been browsed heavy by deer

Last edited:
FF BnB is one of VERY few BOB mixes that I would recommend, especially on small kill plots like the one in your pics. Larger areas, not so much, due to the savings one will get by mixing there own, but if one small bag of BnB will cover the plot, it is well worth the few bucks extra for the BOB seed in that case.

FF BnB is one of VERY few BOB mixes that I would recommend, especially on small kill plots like the one in your pics. Larger areas, not so much, due to the savings one will get by mixing there own, but if one small bag of BnB will cover the plot, it is well worth the few bucks extra for the BOB seed in that case.

Yea I've tried a couple other Brand name brassica mixes and Frigid has been the best for me and fastest growth wise... but they do recommend using triple 19s instead of triple 13s like a lot of mixes recommended... do you think that could be the reason?

5fc365d74e7b375c4caf8aedbccd9fda.jpg
ebcc2c50520b3dc7b8c2bd653edcaa58.jpg

And here is just a few young bucks that I will be giving my Wife the green light on for this opening weekend to hopefully harvest her first deer ever...and with a compound... should Atleast have a chance at one of them.. they are coming pretty regularly

Yea I've tried a couple other Brand name brassica mixes and Frigid has been the best for me and fastest growth wise... but they do recommend using triple 19s instead of triple 13s like a lot of mixes recommended... do you think that could be the reason?

They use some very good varieties in their Big n Beasty, I think that more than anything, contributes to the good performance and the bit of extra nutrients they get by recommending the trip 19(especially the N) can't hurt either.

These are Regular AG beans that cost around $45/bag. Don't waste your money on Magic Beans these guys are selling! Plant a late maturity bean for your area and E fance. Throw some corn seed in as well! You will be glad you did it this way!

PS: I have some of the highest DPSM as almost anyone. So don't be fooled into feeding the deer all summer, then not having many or any pods for later in the season.

DSCN0558.JPG

ca8dda741375ba5c42d2a69b7405c756.jpg
f89f701c7b407b3440549136578b7079.jpg

Alright guys haven't updated in a while... we are 2 weeks into deer season here in Ohio...
My wife killed her first deer ever last weekend! One proud husband , we had a couple different bucks coming in that I wanted her to shoot and this was the biggest one and what do you know it was the first one to give her a shot! And she took it with a compound bow and the deer grosses around 135 it should make pope and young... what a first deer... she has been hunting for about 3 years now so she isn't completely ruined haha.... but with that I probably won't start hunting myself till the end of October in this spot.. I have one shooter on camera for me but anything can happen with rut at this spot...
ff28de656e48012ec10bba6f7cfa9c33.jpg

Congrats to your wife

Congrats to the lady!!! Great buck!!!

Wow - awesome. A big congratulations to her!!

Good thread! Thanks for sharing!

Great deer. Congrats to the young lady.

bf1ee33b39304d976ff7b2efe417ac5a.jpg

Alright guys it's been about a month since I updated this thing... Been busy hunting as expected... had the first whole week of November off to hunt... never saw a shooter and was still getting all night time pics of our shooters... but the second week of November was a different story here

Starting getting pictures of a tall framed 8 point that we have the sheds off of last year in a brassica/clover chicory mix foodplot
7dec716261281d70255fc7fccab9692e.jpg
4fc22737166f627b8795d4ab32f5ef65.jpg

These are his sheds from last year a cam pic
3dfd921d50f7c374b4fe0568fafed3f8.jpg

Well on Nov 12th decided to finally hunt the plot after having some bad winds
f44545b377109e7d35366601d2d89788.jpg

And as luck would have it... he came strolling in looking for a Doe and that was all she wrote.. double lunged him at 20 yards
92454c15efae4553d83bf3204eeb2df9.jpg

1af580d91b179fca27ca4e5655830151.jpg

27f62bb57daeb38bd9bc7ca4e8b7c889.jpg

dc0e47eea622c0abc9aeaf0e58f728ba.jpg