4310 John Deere ?

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Anybody have one and your likes and dislikes. Saw one for sale today. Drawbacks has turf tires and no loader. However, if the price is right I can over come those downfalls for the time being.

We have two very similar(4120 and a 3720). They have been absolutely bullet proof since the day we bought them. They have never been in the shop once except for service.I really don't have a dislike on either of them. They are a little light in the back end(I think all compacts are thou), always wanted to put fluid in the 4120 with the loader. We looked at all the brands and the JDs seemed to be the most refined well built.

keep in mind it is a 31 hp unit, bit light depending on of course your plans, I have a 1070 with almost 10 hp more and would NOT want less for what I do, turf tires as well. I struggle for traction more than I struggle for power, but know my limit of a two bottom plow, wish I could run a 3 bottom, but can not. Is the one you are looking at 4 wheel drive?

Yes it is 4 WD. I have been looking for something in the 40s for horse power, but those dont exist where I live without basically spending the price of new and I havent convinced myself that I can justify a new one. For now I would run a 5' tiller, bush hog, pull probably a older 4 row planter. Down the road I would like to be able to use it to pull a smaller no till drill. So I believe 31 hp can accomplish that. Keep in mind I dont even know the price yet, it could very well be over priced as usual! Not sure how many hours it has on it, as it has a digital hours display. Looks to be in pretty good shape.

If you want a loader (someday), buy a tractor with a loader. It's not cost effective in the slightest to add a loader after the purchase.

Tires are another big expense. You'll need different rims going between turfs and R1 or R4 (all three tend to run different diameters for the same tractor). The up side is that since turfs are more expensive than either of the R's, you might be able to find someone to trade with or at least be able to sell off the turfs to cover some of the expense of different tires.

My tractor was the single biggest impact on my land working ability. I'd use a hand saw to buck trees before I sold my tractor (with loader).

I did not know that about rims. I had figured around a $1000 for new rubber. The turf tires actually look pretty new, and I see they are more costly to buy than field Ag tires. A new loader is around $3k. I have both the tires (minus the rims) and loader figure into what price I am willing to pay for it. When I go in and talk to the place that owns it tomorrow they will either act like it is made of gold and I will walk back out the door or I am hoping with the slimest of hopes that they got a steal on it from somebody on a trade in and are willing to be a little more reasonable on their profit markup. Been playing this small tractor game for a few years now and have yet to find the one that has what I want at a price that is reasonable. With every year that comes and goes I am getting a little closer to pulling the trigger on a new one. A new one will come close to out lasting me at this point.

Loader and bucket are different components, and mounts for the loader to the tractor are often also considered different components - so you need to make sure you have the "whole package" price in mind before you settle on your actual cost consideration.

Some tractors loaders also don't include the valve or the hoses to the valve from the tractor into the loader pricing. That's another grand on my tractor if it's not outfitted with one from the factory. Total loader cost is over $5K new.

Just make sure you've got it all on the workup sheet before agreeing to anything. Running hoses off the rear SCV is NOT a good option for a FEL. Get the correct valve and cry about the price later; you'll be happier and it's safer in the long run.

Thanks for the continued input. I will check into the "extras" for the loader. The outlets are all up in front. Most of the 4310s you see on the market have a loader. I am guessing more were sold with than without.

I almost bought a barely used 5045E without a loader and was supposed to have the dealer install one and then I'd buy the whole thing complete - dealer ordered incorrect loader and was unaware it was impossible to mount it to that tractor. Ended up ruining our relationship (I'd questioned them numerous times about the loader's being able to fit that machine - then the service manager started lying to me when they couldn't make them work) and I went and bought a 5065E with the loader I wanted already assembled from the factory, with even lower hours, more options, and better stuff. :) It worked out in the end.

I just don't want you to "own it" and then find out you screwed up.

I appreciate that!

As I figured, since I have seen it time and again in this area, the owner claims the keys are solid gold. $16,500 as it sets. I doubt the tractor sold for that when it was brand new 13 years ago. It does have only 300 hours on it, but thats at least $6,500 more than I think its really worth.

Last edited:
Oh, but it doesn't have any tier 4 emissions on it, that's worth at least $5K right there. lol

Tractors hold their value really well once you get past the initial retail markup depreciation. 40yr old ones still routinely sell for 10K if they don't need work.