2017 planting finished

nateb440

5 year old buck +
been a busy few days of planting here in central ky. I received my orders from wv div of forestry and nativnurseries and they're all in the ground.
100 alleghany chinquapins
100 Chinese chestnuts
Toxy's choice wildlife package
And a few extras like bald cypress and some more chestnuts and oaks. They're all flagged. Next order of business is to cage them all. Hope the deer don't find them all before I get the chance to protect them.

The first day I was bummed because I couldn't find my dibble bar. Looked high and low. Ended up using a shovel and actually liked it more than the dibble--Slower definitely but more accurate root placement.

Unreal. I'm at least six weeks away from being able to plant. When it comes time, I fear that my eyes were bigger than my stomach as I tell my kids. Hopefully I can recruit some help...

I had all four of mine helping yesterday. The youngest two were flagging and watering, the older two were planting and I was digging holes. Worked out well and we're all excited to see whose trees make it.

That's the way!

I have AC growing natively on my place and deer don't seem to seek them out. I planted a bunch I grew from seed last fall with no protection and none seem to have significant browsing this winter. I'm now planting pawpaws with no protection. They are not a preferred browse species. I have about a dozen in the ground so far. Mine are all rootmaker trees not bare root, so they are a lot slower to plant with a tractor auger than a dibble bar but they should take off much faster. I'm looking forward to green-up this spring.

Thanks,

Jack