2016 success

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
Just curious what everyone was able to grow this year. Wanting to see some pics and success stories to keep me motivated!
I had a rough first year but have learned a lot and managed to get 22 chestnut/chinquapin as well as 22 sawtooths.
44 total for me.
What y'all got???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just have 6 chestnuts at the house. First attempt from seed and did a poor job obviously to only get six out of the generous amount of seed I got from WP over in TN. But I do have the 6 that seem to be doing ok. Planning to get them planted this winter.

Badger. Thanks I'll check it out.
Btaylor. I feel our pain. I started with like 110 seeds and got 22 is all.

I planted a bunch of white pine and black hills spruce. Success rate looks pretty high right now because of timely rains.

Last year I got 30 Sawtooths and 20 Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks in the ground. The Sawtooths I got are late bearing trees from a guy on the QDMA site.I grew them and the DCO's from nuts I planted and grew at the house. The previous year I planted 4 Pears, 5 Sequins, 5 Sawtooths and 12 AU Chesnuts to go with the 12 I already had.

The tree tubes are Chestnuts which then transition to Sawtooths between my two 3 ac summer plot fields.

IMG_0957_zpseibpvxut.jpg

This is looking opposite the last pic showing Sawtooths on left and Chestnuts on right.

IMG_0956_zpsk0wzrh2l.jpg

Happy Sawtooth

IMG_0954_zps78pt956n.jpg

Happy DCO

IMG_0939_zps2nffnbhw.jpg

I really like the work ethic of this Sequin. Lots of burs for a young tree.

IMG_0951_zps2lkxpdkh.jpg

My most recently planted Pears are the tubed trees.

IMG_0952%201_zpsja6yln3i.jpg

BradB. That looks sweet. I'm ready for mine to look that good.

The main reason I have happy trees is because the last two years have been good rain years, which is critical because I cannot water them. I cannot coddle my trees so its kinda be strong and live or get replaced by something that will.

I've got around 30 chestnuts growing in pots. They're mostly American though we had lots we got from wbp on the defunct forum.KINDLE_CAMERA_1467725873000.jpgKINDLE_CAMERA_1467725864000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1467725900000.jpg

Last edited:
Fellow Ohio plotter & friend grew these chestnuts from seeds from trees on his farm. He had two Dunstans & three Chinese left over. Of course I could find room!

200A27A1-F1DA-4460-AB59-45A5516AD94D.jpg

Looking healthy a few weeks later.

2E0AAFDA-F259-4622-BFC2-6F1CA3145E87.jpg

Also put in 10 crabapples.

F161D335-C9C5-407C-B8AD-1342929CAA34.jpg

All looking very healthy...and a bonus wild pin oak I found in the goldenrod in the foreground (left)

376F2124-092D-4249-AEAA-D2EDCDB250CA.jpg

Early this spring I planted 25 Norway Spruce for a road screen at our new house. Plantes 5 Chinkapin Oak for yard trees and 6 Chinese Chestnut in a mini orchard. My mom gave me a Maple to plant ( :rolleyes: ) and she has a Black Walnut on the way. Everything except one spruce seems to be thriving. I have just now started to have to haul water. Things are getting dry around here...

Switched from planting many, small, unprotected trees to less, larger trees and spending the extra time & money protecting them properly.

38458410-E37D-4FF9-9D36-7A4B55EF247D.jpg

D827B794-8ECB-440F-B178-9D10827C7FBF.jpg

I was trying to cut back this year. Just fruit trees and chestnuts. Not nearly as much work as last year but more than I have time for.

I had lousy success starting chestnuts indoors. Good success direct seeding them in late April. I gave away most all of the survivors from indoor starting. I posted a few photos here http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...ful-direct-seeded-chestnuts.5438/#post-108582

I bought 1 crabapple and 1 sour cherry for my orchard. About 125 apple rootstock for grafting. A third went into my orchard and rest into a nursery. Quite a few will be T budded in a few weeks. Plus 3 pear rootstocks. About 30 apple seedlings in the nursery for evaluation. Apple photos are in my Project W thread. http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/project-w-columnar-apple-shot-plot.3681/

A couple corn and beans plots, one with electric fence.

I hope to do less next year. Apple maintenance and field grafting. Plant some out from nursery. Add some spruce for thermal cover. Always a struggle to not try to do everything now.

Also planted a half dozen each of 4'+ white oaks, sawtooth oaks & bur oaks.

Selkirks are very hardy and are both great pollenizers & heavy fruiting. Lawyer Nursery had a 10 pack of 4'+ trees. It cost me about $10 a tree to my door.

I was told fruit size can vary slightly from tree to tree but this is supposedly an average specimen.

1E9BC035-5BD0-406B-80F4-49479FD2050B.jpg

Started a orchard

Finally have some trees coming out of the tubes.

Hazelnut

SWO

Looks great Scott!