All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 season was god to me.

Nice, congratulations!

congrats on your deer and I like the rifle you are putting them down with.

Congrats!

Well done!

Congrats on the great season! I like the cowboy gun also =)

Awesome j-bird! Congrats. You've either got to get a hunting buddy or a tripod to take those pics. :D

Congrats j-bird!

Good going, J-bird !!

That's how you get it done! Is that a 35 Remington, shortened to 1.8"? Do you process your deer or have it done?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Congrats!

That's how you get it done! Is that a 35 Remington, shortened to 1.8"? Do you process your deer or have it done?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
IN allowed 30/30 this year for the first time on private property so I got to use my Marlin 336CS lever gun in 30-30 rem. I was VERY skeptical about the use of a true high powered rifle in the state, but I figured I would give it a fair chance. The 30-30 doesn't give me any range advantage, but the 30-06 and 308 that are also legal I am sure do. I still don't think we need the ability to kill deer at 200 yards or more......but, they didn't ask me.

I take my deer to a local processor - I have done one deer myself last year - and it's a lot of work and I simply don't have the equipment to do it. I may start doing my own in the future but for now they go to the locker.

I have been pretty impressed with the 30-30. All deer thus far have not gone far at all, but that little hole doesn't leave the blood trail I am used to with my 50 cal muzzleloader or my 12 gauge slug gun. I will say the 30-30 is much easier on the shooter than my 12 gauge as well.

Awesome j-bird! Congrats. You've either got to get a hunting buddy or a tripod to take those pics. :D
I figure I need longer arms! My girls thought it was funny and suggested a selfie stick.......they like to make fun of the old man and my limited skill with technology.

Thanks everybody!

You are on fire. Great job. I miss processing my own deer (wife said new garage is off limits). I grew up watching deer being processed on the kitchen table. Sometimes 4 or 5 in a row. It takes a few to get the hang of it but if you have the space and time you will love doing it. I did my first deer on memory only, it wasn't pretty but 3 or 4 in and it was second nature. I never used anything but a knife. I did have a local butcher I would take the grinds to and he would do his magic.

You are on fire. Great job. I miss processing my own deer (wife said new garage is off limits). I grew up watching deer being processed on the kitchen table. Sometimes 4 or 5 in a row. It takes a few to get the hang of it but if you have the space and time you will love doing it. I did my first deer on memory only, it wasn't pretty but 3 or 4 in and it was second nature. I never used anything but a knife. I did have a local butcher I would take the grinds to and he would do his magic.
I did my first and ONLY one last year when the locker was full. I was a one man show and it was a PIA. I skinned it, quartered it up and then de-boned it. I had NO idea what I was doing. I had never even seen it done before - so I made it up as I went. I had to locate a grinder and then find a source for my beef fat. I pulled the loins and that was easy and then we ground everything else. The right tools, the right set-up and the time would make all the difference - I was under prepared and under the gun to get it done so that didn't help. Funny though how some folks give up or panic while others simply take the bull by the horns and figure a way out. It wasn't pretty and I learned some things along the way, but I got it done.

I did my first and ONLY one last year when the locker was full. I was a one man show and it was a PIA. I skinned it, quartered it up and then de-boned it. I had NO idea what I was doing. I had never even seen it done before - so I made it up as I went. I had to locate a grinder and then find a source for my beef fat. I pulled the loins and that was easy and then we ground everything else. The right tools, the right set-up and the time would make all the difference - I was under prepared and under the gun to get it done so that didn't help. Funny though how some folks give up or panic while others simply take the bull by the horns and figure a way out. It wasn't pretty and I learned some things along the way, but I got it done.
Stick with it, every one gets easier. Although I must admit it is nice dropping one off and getting three brown sacks back. At some point I will go back to doing it myself.

Very good season! Congrats!

As far as cutting them up yourself, I have 2 knives and a KitchenAid mixer with a grinding attachment. It's not to bad once you get the process down some. I debone in the garage on a piece of old counter top set on sawhorses, then bring it in the garage to grind/wrap. I have a vacuum sealer, but have went back to using freezer paper. It's much faster if I'm doing it by myself. I like the convenience of having them done, but the price...ugghh.