2016 NUT/ SEED EXCHANGE

How do y'all clean persimmon seeds to ship? Just wondering if there is a trick some one can share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is not much of a trick. With a little pressure they will pop out of the pulp pretty easily. Just wash them off. A little slightly damp medium will keep them from drying out during shipping.

Thanks,

Jack

How do y'all clean persimmon seeds to ship? Just wondering if there is a trick some one can share.

I use a wash cloth. Just put the seed in the wash cloth and rub between your fingers a few times and the remaining pulp will rub right off. It is much faster than trying to to them with slippery hands.

I'm with yoder jack, oriental persimmons are generally grafted on Virginia root stocks and don't tend to drop from the tree. They also don't tend to form runners and groves, at least not of oriental persimmons. Saijo is pretty cold Hardy here in zone 7a. I've heard Great Wall is cold hardy but I haven't personally grown it.

I have a bunch of english oak and will have some shingle oak this week if anyone is looking for these

I got 8 full boxes and one partial box out of that 2.5 gallons of sawtooth acorns. If anyone wants any, and is willing to cover the 6.80 shipping, let me know. The full boxes ended up with around 110-130 acorns a piece, and the partial is just short of 90.

26a2c23c8cd1b6438315aecb2f237727.jpg

I am looking for some hybrid white oaks of about any species. I have 100% wild apple and plum seeds and also some pretty hefty burrs for trade if anyone is interested. I also have some acorns that I'm not sure of. The burrs and the white oaks are all growing in the canyons side by side and dropping like mad. Not sure if they are hybrids or pure but they are very old trees and the deer love em...

Chinese Chestnut business has been great this fall. I shipped 26 orders today. The total to date is 120 orders.

That tallies up to 7,170 chestnuts - some doubles and two huge orders.

Sort of tired of counting.

26 Orders Sept 27th.jpg

Thanks for reading this post.

Chinese Chestnut business has been great this fall. I shipped 26 orders today. The total to date is 120 orders.

That tallies up to 7,170 chestnuts - some doubles and two huge orders.

Sort of tired of counting.

View attachment 10954

Thanks for reading this post.

That's a heck of a contribution to quality habitat.

Yep, Wayne is on a mission!

Yep, Wayne is on a mission!
Jack,

With those numbers - surely we can pass 1,000 trees 'fore too long.

Hope so.

Retirement has its advantages.

Jack,

With those numbers - surely we can pass 1,000 trees 'fore too long.

Hope so.

Retirement has its advantages.
Wayne it's awesome for all of us to be able to watch and help you achieve your goal! Amazing work you are doing here.

Guys, it really would be beneficial to everyone in this thread(and others) if you would post your location/the location of the seed you are trading/selling(Tap, step in here). Provenance of seed can be a HUGE deal to us guys from the north. Trees that come from seed that originates in the south could very likely struggle to survive northern winters, and for older guys, they don't have time to get a tree to 4 or 5 years old just to find out that the tree will experience winter die back every year, only to produce little to no fruit or mast due to die-off of new growth each winter. A simple note in your post like "seeds collected from western WI" or at least "Zone 4b seed" would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Even if a northern WI guy would decide to get some southern MO seeds, at least he knows going in that he may have some issues to contend with when planting seed sourced way outside his planting zone.

Last edited:
Guys, it really would be beneficial to everyone in this thread(and others) if you would post your location/the location of the seed you are trading/selling(Tap, step in here). Provenance of seed can be a HUGE deal to us guys from the north. Trees that come from seed that originates in the south could very likely struggle to survive northern winters, and for older guys, they don't have time to get a tree to 4 or 5 years old just to find out that the tree will experience winter die back every year, only to produce little to no fruit or mast due to die-off of new growth each winter. A simple note in your post like "seeds collect from western WI" or at least "Zone 4b seed" would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Even if a northern WI guy would decide to get some southern MO seeds, at least he knows going in that he may have some issues to contend with when planting seed sourced way outside his planting zone.

Great point, but this also applies to food plots as technique success as well as specific crops can act differently in different areas. I would suggest everyone put both their general location and USDA zone in their profile. This can really be helpful to folks responding to posts.

Thanks,

Jack

Does anyone have any crab apple seeds they'd be willing to part with? I'm not super picky but I'm in zone 3 or 4 if that helps.

I'm going to be sending out some pawpaw soon. If anyone else is interested send me a PM. If I don't get any other takers - Catscratch is getting them ALL!
pawpaw fruit.jpg

Catscratch,

If this is your first shot at pawpaw, it requires a lot of patience and some special care. Here is a good thread I brought over: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/any-paw-paw-experts-transferred-from-old-forums.5710/ Mine have just finished the second growing season in containers. I had planned to plant them this fall, but I'm not going to have enough time. Instead, I'll over winter them in my cold room and plant them before they break dormancy next spring.

Thanks,

Jack

Catscratch,

If this is your first shot at pawpaw, it requires a lot of patience and some special care. Here is a good thread I brought over: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/any-paw-paw-experts-transferred-from-old-forums.5710/ Mine have just finished the second growing season in containers. I had planned to plant them this fall, but I'm not going to have enough time. Instead, I'll over winter them in my cold room and plant them before they break dormancy next spring.

Thanks,

Jack
First try ever! I've got several sites selected based on reading, but I haven't read that particular thread yet. I'll get through it soon and possible amend my plans.

One question guys: will critters get unprotected seeds, and browse the seedlings? (I guess I have two questions)

First try ever! I've got several sites selected based on reading, but I haven't read that particular thread yet. I'll get through it soon and possible amend my plans.

One question guys: will critters get unprotected seeds, and browse the seedlings? (I guess I have two questions)

I started my seed indoors under lights so I don't know if anything will bother the seed. It is very slow to germinate. KSU is a great resource on pawpaw growing. I have had no issues with critters other than bugs. I did have some bug start eating a couple leaves on a few plants this summer. One spray with permethrin stopped it. The biggest issue is pawpaw is that they are photosensitive when young but are the most productive in full sun. My strategy is to grow them in containers on my lower deck with only a few hours of direct morning sun for two growing seasons. I understand that by the third growing seasons they can handle full sun. So, I will be transplanting them to the farm in full sun while still dormant early next spring.

Thanks,

jack

Does anyone have any crab apple seeds they'd be willing to part with? I'm not super picky but I'm in zone 3 or 4 if that helps.
I have some seeds of wild apples I can hook you up with. I started some seeds from these wild trees this spring. My best ones are over 3 foot tall already. I am in Northern Nebraska let me know what ya thinking..